Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
Lotuzia
KVRAF

9380 posts since 19 Feb, 2004, from Paris

Postby Lotuzia; Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:53 am Re: StiX by Xils : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine with next gen XoX sequencer

christian f. wrote:When will there be an Update ?

I agree some kind of audio/midi drag and drop like Geist, Nerve and Revolution would be kind of standard for a HQ Drummachine.

Undo/Redo and the ability to set favorite sample folders would be very welcome additions as well.
Right now you can import a wave file , but you can't browse easily within the folder or even bookmark it for next time.

Also I think the Synth engine to make kicks needs to be updated.
Especially for techno and house kicks, synths like Drumspillage and Tremor are way better and easier to program.
I just can't program a decent clean techno kick while this is effortless w the above mentioned.

There are already a good number of kicks in StiX. The plethora of synthesis parameters might make it harder for beginners to actually program the exact kick they want than in programs with much less parameters. I'd suggest that you first select some kicks that are close to what you're looking for, then only edit them with the EZ page parameters, including the macros knobs. If it's not enough, you can than start from there, freeze these changes, and go to the advanced edit page. I'll add some additionnal kicks, and other drums, in future updates. yOu can also import your favorite sampled kicks in a flash if you prefer that. Some tutorials about 'kick making' in StiX might be a bonus also ( how to make a layered kick etc)

In any case, the huge versatility of StiX and it's synthesis power have in certain cases some possible drawbacks : It can become harder to program depending on what you want. To precisely set the cursor in the 'power VS ease of use' combo is always a challenge. I think I have eased this with the EZ page and Macros knobs, but it can't be perfect of course. I think more presets and templates will be help to go to the solution.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there
Unqlenol
KVRer

21 posts since 18 Dec, 2014

Postby Unqlenol; Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:58 am Re: StiX by Xils : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine with next gen XoX sequencer

I think an in depth tutorial on how to program kicks in Stix would be of great value. I think the default Init Kit actually gives a good starting point for a kick. I still find it tricky to get the detail right though...
Lotuzia
KVRAF

Postby Lotuzia; Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:27 am Re: StiX by Xils : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine with next gen XoX sequencer

christian f. wrote:
simmo75 wrote:It seems the only people who don't want drag n drop midi is Xils. I really don't get it. They could have the best product on the market but seems they do not to want to listen to us.

Edit: midi out doesn't work in Ableton Live 9.7 on mac.

You have to use the VST version for that.

It really could be one of the best drummachines , but so many simple important things are just left out :

- no dedicated noise unless you trade it for the only sample slot.
- can't set amount of steps on individual tracks for polyrhythms
- can't randomize sounds on selected/individual tracks only
- simple eq for boost/cut high/low frequencies.
- hihat choke

Hoping for an update soon , otherwise I might just sell it.

So in my last post, I said that StiX was very versatile, but now, I'll show you how it can be versatile in a certain number of cases :

- Noise : You can get easily noise with the first two oscillators with FM. Not only that, but you'll get a variety of noises far superior to just white/pink noise. And you will be able to control this noise quality dynamically. So you can easily get three different noises sources in StiX. I know that selecting 'Noise' for the 3rd oscillator is much more easy, but it's just an exemple to try to show you how powerful StiX can be as soon as you become more familiar with it.

- Simple EQ there are already (2 for for each sound, under the Drumpad output level on the Easy Synthesis Page) since version 1.01. There are analog modelled EQ btw. Gorgeous and smooth sounding. You should upgrade your version

Hi-Hat Choke : Like I said in other posts, there are other ways to easily programm Hi-Hat choke(s) in StiX by simply controlling the envelope of the drum sounds in the sequencer grid and/or change the GATE parameter in the sequencer. So, in StiX, you actually only need a single sound and a single sequencer line to make HH closed/open lines. The obvious advantage is that you HH sounds will always sound coherent as a pair, ( Those who have lost hours to find a suitable open HH sound to compliment an already chosen closed HH sound will understand that) as they share much of their synthesis parameters. The drawback is, equally obviously, if you need very different contrasting sounds for the open and closed HH. That's why I relayed the choke groups idea to Xils-Lab, and proposed a solution to implement them in a clever way. I cant however promise anything. The decision is not mine only.

-Cant randomize individual sounds : You have AI assisted generation of whole kits. Not many drum machines do this afaik. And browsing any drumpad sound with the arrows should give you a semi-intelligent random function. Anyway, I think the most elegant solution would be to be able to exclude some drumpads from the randomize function.( Similar to 'lock' certain' drumpads) This imho would give in the end the most satisfying solutions.

- Number of steps per sequencer line for polyrythms : Simply true. it was schedulled fromm the beginning, but I already indicated that these kind of functions were touching the sync area, and that you have to be very carefull when implementing them. Maybe it will come some day, but StiX has atm sample accurate tempo sync. And it's the top priority for me for a drum machine. There are also ways to fake polyrythms in StiX, with the PolyStep but I wont detail them again here.

And finally : There are a certain number of things that StiX can't do. Some will probably be managed in the future, but not all.

Otoh, there are a lot of things that StiX can do, and that no other drum machines can do.

A lot of rum machines dont have a sequencer. Or deal only with samples. Or only with certain synthesis types. Or cant generate intelligent drumkits on the fly. Or dont output midi. Or dont have odf analog filters. Or Polystep modulators. Or Micro position features. Or dedicated R-Clap envelopes. Or 'drum dedicated' macro controls. Or Customs macros controls. Or a hundred of parameters to taylor a drum sound. FM @ audio rate. Or gang edit. Or simply that special and beautiful analog sound. etc ( the list could belong)

I'm not asking though to people to sell these drum machines, because they wouldn't have these or that features (or tons of them) To each it's own. StiX is a synthesis and sequencing monster, and, as I see it, the most powerfull drum machine ever produced, but in any case, it won't replace all other possible drum machines, like the TR-808 can't replace a 909, and all TR-XOX in the world will never replace a Linn Drum, or an SP-12. It's just an instrument that one can find usefull, or not. If one feel that another drum machine give them better results, no problems.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there
Lotuzia
KVRAF

Postby Lotuzia; Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:35 am Re: StiX by Xils : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine with next gen XoX sequencer

simmo75 wrote:It seems the only people who don't want drag n drop midi is Xils. I really don't get it. They could have the best product on the market but seems they do not to want to listen to us.

StiX Midi Output, and a certain number of oher features, were implemented on user requests though. I don't like to think in terms of 'best/worse' product of the market, because to me each instrumpent is different. But if you compare all that StiX can't do, and that another drum machine can do, and all that StiX does, and that another drum machine will not do, including all those things that NO other drum machine can do, the balance might be in favour of StiX each time.

That will not solve the problem if a special/crucial feature that you absolutly need is not present in StiX though. Like I said, StiX was not created to replace and erase all other drum machines, it was mainly created because I could not find a single machine in the existing 'market' that suited my dreams and desires.( now extended to users ones as well)

christian f.
KVRist

127 posts since 3 Feb, 2017

Postby christian f.; Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:49 am Re: StiX by Xils : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine with next gen XoX sequencer

Lotuzia wrote:There are already a good number of kicks in StiX. The plethora of synthesis parameters might make it harder for beginners to actually program the exact kick they want than in programs with much less parameters. I'd suggest that you first select some kicks that are close to what you're looking for, then only edit them with the EZ page parameters, including the macros knobs. If it's not enough, you can than start from there, freeze these changes, and go to the advanced edit page. I'll add some additionnal kicks, and other drums, in future updates. yOu can also import your favorite sampled kicks in a flash if you prefer that. Some tutorials about 'kick making' in StiX might be a bonus also ( how to make a layered kick etc)

In any case, the huge versatility of StiX and it's synthesis power have in certain cases some possible drawbacks : It can become harder to program depending on what you want. To precisely set the cursor in the 'power VS ease of use' combo is always a challenge. I think I have eased this with the EZ page and Macros knobs, but it can't be perfect of course. I think more presets and templates will be help to go to the solution.

I'm not a beginner :)
I have lots of hardware and software drum machines and believe me Stix has the worst engine to make kicks. There's maybe one decent strictly synthesized kick in the whole library unless I missed something.
You're trying to blame it on the user, but you don't have any presets in the library that demonstrate your claims.

It would be great if you could show us how to make nice usable techno kicks like we can easily do with
Tremor, Microtonic and Elecktoid/Drumspillage.
christian f.
KVRist

127 posts since 3 Feb, 2017

Postby christian f.; Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:59 am Re: StiX by Xils : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine with next gen XoX sequencer

Lotuzia wrote:
- Simple EQ there are already (2 for for each sound, under the Drumpad output level on the Easy Synthesis Page) since version 1.01. There are analog modelled EQ btw. Gorgeous and smooth sounding. You should upgrade your version

I think the most elegant solution would be to be able to exclude some drumpads from the randomize function.( Similar to 'lock' certain' drumpads) This imho would give in the end the most satisfying solutions.

You're right about the EQ .. my bad :wink:

Option to exclude pads for randomizing would be great !

Don't get me wrong ...I think it's a great plug-in, but certain (imho easily implementable) things are just
not there and you have to work around it to somewhat get a result that's standard on most other drum machines.
At the moment for me, these things kind of overshadow the cool things it can do that others can't.
In the end I just want to create a beat quick and intuitive.
plexuss
KVRian

1456 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Postby plexuss; Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:07 am Re: StiX by Xils : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine with next gen XoX sequencer

I have StiX but I reluctantly use it because it can crash Logic Pro, on my machine anyway. Well on 2 of my machines. I've written Xils about it but they don't seem to interested to investigate and ask me for examples of what it does. the problem is the issues are sporadic and when they happen I am unsure of how to capture this issue: typically I get this loud click and then Core Audio seems to lock up system wide. I often use Audio Hijack and this click will lock it up and I have to re-start it. Often times this doesn't help and I have to restart. Other problems include StiX crashing Logic and StiX screwing up all the sounds and pattern programming such that I have to abandon it. Very frustrating and too bad its so unreliable on my machine. I use many other plugins and do not have these same issues so it's definitely something specific to StiX. I understand that it's difficult to fix these problems without a) knowing what they are or what is causing them and b) being able to replicate them. However, the fact is they do happen and so I can't reliably use StiX in projects unless I want to risk having to abandon using it at some point in the workflow for something else. Instead I just use the something else. :( Maybe one day it'll get sorted out...
Lotuzia
KVRAF

Postby Lotuzia; Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:14 pm Re: StiX by Xils : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine with next gen XoX sequencer

To Plexuss : There will be a new version soon, wich fixes some critical crashes with Logic. Hopefully it will fix your problem. Yes, it's very hard to fix random crashes that can't be easily duplicated.

simmo75
KVRian

544 posts since 25 Mar, 2016, from Seattle

Postby simmo75; Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:20 pm Re: StiX by Xils : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine with next gen XoX sequencer

Lotuzia wrote:To Plexuss : There will be a new version soon, wich fixes some critical crashes with Logic. Hopefully it will fix your problem. Yes, it's very hard to fix random crashes that can't be easily duplicated.

Lotuzia: Are we, the users going to get our drag and drop midi as so many of us have asked for it?
plexuss
KVRian

Postby plexuss; Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:20 pm Re: StiX by Xils : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine with next gen XoX sequencer

Lotuzia wrote:To Plexuss : There will be a new version soon, wich fixes some critical crashes with Logic. Hopefully it will fix your problem. Yes, it's very hard to fix random crashes that can't be easily duplicated.

That's great because I like the sound and features of StiX. One track that uses it exclusively, and that didn't crash before I was able to bounce out a mix, is...

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/into-the-blackhole
Lotuzia
KVRAF

Postby Lotuzia; Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:16 am Re: StiX by Xils : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine with next gen XoX sequencer

christian f. wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:There are already a good number of kicks in StiX. The plethora of synthesis parameters might make it harder for beginners to actually program the exact kick they want than in programs with much less parameters. I'd suggest that you first select some kicks that are close to what you're looking for, then only edit them with the EZ page parameters, including the macros knobs. If it's not enough, you can than start from there, freeze these changes, and go to the advanced edit page. I'll add some additionnal kicks, and other drums, in future updates. yOu can also import your favorite sampled kicks in a flash if you prefer that. Some tutorials about 'kick making' in StiX might be a bonus also ( how to make a layered kick etc)

I'm not a beginner :)
I have lots of hardware and software drum machines and believe me Stix has the worst engine to make kicks. There's maybe one decent strictly synthesized kick in the whole library unless I missed something.
You're trying to blame it on the user, but you don't have any presets in the library that demonstrate your claims.

It would be great if you could show us how to make nice usable techno kicks like we can easily do with
Tremor, Microtonic and Elecktoid/Drumspillage.

Well I dont think it's related to beeing a beginner. It's more related to becoming familiar with it, even for experienced users. StiX offers new and never seen ways to do some things (like the PolyStep or the sequencer per step parameters, or the Macro commands like 'Stretch', or the convergent/divergent/linear pitch control macros) , and different ways to achieve some other things (like having several noise oscillators simultaneously with different colors via FM). I had myself to think a lot 'out of the box' to create it, and ask myself what didn't work for me with all the drum machines already available on 'the market'.(they could not have been all totally wrong)

I hope StiX will evolve over time to offer different things. It doesnt depend on me alone though.

back to kicks : I play in several genres, and had never felt limited with StiX for bass drums. This said, two things :

1/ In it's current state, I'd recommand you create a new category of kicks named for example 'My favorite kicks', that will be your own favorite kicks, then begin to play with the easy synthesis page to derive some variations of them, then play with the Advanced synthesis page to make some more variations.
2/ If there's only one kick that suits your needs though, 1/ won't help (But I'd still recommend you browse the whole Kick category first, cos you might possibly be surprised). So what I propose you to possibly complete this is to post some examples (dry, no comps, no effects, in isolation) of kicks that you made with other drum machines and that you think more suitable for your musical works, so that I can see if I can replicate them more/less with Stix, then include some in the factory library at a later point. Seems to me the best way to operate.

Lotuzia
KVRAF

Postby Lotuzia; Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:19 am Re: StiX by Xils : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine with next gen XoX sequencer

plexuss wrote:

That's great because I like the sound and features of StiX. One track that uses it exclusively, and that didn't crash before I was able to bounce out a mix, is...

StiX Version 1.02 beta is released.

Please, let us know if it does fix your problems (Crossing fingers)

+ really like the first part of your track :tu: ( yes, kick included :P )

Lotuzia
KVRAF

Postby Lotuzia; Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:21 am Re: StiX by Xils : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine with next gen XoX sequencer

simmo75 wrote:

Lotuzia: Are we, the users going to get our drag and drop midi as so many of us have asked for it?

Tbh I don't know. I have relayed this to Xils. I think if you want a definitive answer (if there is one), you should contact Xils directly.

memyselfandus
KVRAF

5120 posts since 28 Apr, 2006

Postby memyselfandus; Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:06 am Re: StiX by Xils : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine with next gen XoX sequencer

The main thing that amazes me about Stix is the flexibility of the sequencer! It's amazing.

For me.. Drag n drop midi is far superior to recording midi out into the host. I'm excited to see if they add it! :)

Although I can do any sort of polyrhythm or poly tempo I want in Reaper already by changing the preset or user defined grid lengths in the piano roll. Nothing you can't do when it comes to that in Reaper. 5 notes over 4 beats? Easy. 7 over 4? 7 over 1? 17 over 3?

plexuss
KVRian

Postby plexuss; Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:23 pm Re: StiX by Xils : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine with next gen XoX sequencer

Lotuzia wrote:
plexuss wrote:

StiX Version 1.02 beta is released.

Please, let us know if it does fix your problems (Crossing fingers)

Wow. 1.02 beta is completely broken. All the pattern buttons can be selected (they don't act as a radio group), loading a preset seems to load the drum sounds but nothing shows in the sequencer, if i manually engage steps and hit play in the DAW StiX does nothing.

Went back to 1.01 and its back to "working" except for the previous mentioned bugs.

Back to the drawing board Lotuzia.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments