StiX : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine (v1.6 Released + Flash sales)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
StiX

It took me quite some time to figure out that the link for version "1.0.2 beta" on their current site is actually including a copy/paste error and points to the "1.0.1 release" version download.
To download the real beta, you have to manually tweak the link to "102" to get your download.

It's this kind of slackness I struggle with.
Website relaunched in June 2017. Now end of 2017: forum link still points to a 404 error. The forum was a good source to get hints from fellow users. Just gone.
Stix manual? Does not seem to have been updated in over 18 months now. I was desparately hoping for more guidance, either in the form of an updated manual or more tutorials. Just nothing.
The best guidance I got was from the CM Stix tutorial videos...

And as for the change log and the "new beta dated Dec 4th 2017":
The change log is identical to the "beta 1.0.2 dated May 21st 2017" as can be seen here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20170612155 ... nload.html

I am struggling to conceal how miffed I am.

So, Xils Lab, what do you say? Please show me a way forward we can go together. Because I really like the ideas incorporated in this product and would love to properly work with it.

nevis wrote:Thanks, mcbpete. I saw that.
I was hoping more had changed considering the time gone past.

I am not really happy with the plugin, so my questions are a chance for the developers to convince me otherwise before selling Stix.
What changes would you like, and what doesnt make you happy ?

Currently besides having made a lot of new StiX presets/drumpads/drumkits etc, I'm into the process of emulating the TR-808 sounds using only synthesis (i.e you have already the Roland/EMU/LinnDrum etc featured by sampling available in StiX, but here it will be done by synthesis). With, until now, mixed results, some sounds work very good, others less. Other drum machines, like CR series etc might follow. These studies could lead to some new features in StiX next versions (depending on Xils interest), as I've learned quite a lot from them, regarding the very specific subjects of drum analog synthesis.( There's probably enough to write a book about all this)

There are also a number of things that could (or not) be implemented in StiX that I find really interesting, but I think it's best to also ask people what they feel is missing, or changes that could be made.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

mcbpete wrote:I've definitely got to use it more, usually just spend 10 minutes clicking the random kit button and the random drum pattern and go "Woah those sure are some wild noises!", then close it again !
Eh eh eh random/IA is cool, but usually, when I use it, it's rare that it's instantly TOTALLY usable(especially with the random drumkit generator) Usually I'll always want to manually replace/adapt at least some of the drumpads after that. Same for the random patterns, usually I still have to edit them more/less to make them fit. (usually more than less I'm afraid :) )The pattern line randomizer otoh is very usefull -to me-. Sometimes it will fire my imagination and give birth to a whole pattern after. So maybe these are the moments you're missing after using the random messiah buttoms ? The random features replace/invent/propose a lot of things instantaneously in StiX, and I think it's wise to think that, despite the little AI we place in it, it can't give totally satisfying results at each strike. The cool thing beeing that you can however hit it a lot of times if your inspiration is low. Actually I use them more to trigger ideas that I will complete manually, and when I'm in the mood of beeing *random driven*

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

If they spent more time developing the GUI, ergonomics and interaction this would be in everyones plugin folder. I hardley use it as its a bit like a Rubiks Cube to me :oops:

Xils seem better at aping existing designs than creating their own.

Im not knocking the underlying synthesis engines which I do love the sound of.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Lotuzia wrote:Eh eh eh random/IA is cool, but usually, when I use it, it's rare that it's instantly TOTALLY usable(especially with the random drumkit generator) Usually I'll always want to manually replace/adapt at least some of the drumpads after that. Same for the random patterns, usually I still have to edit them more/less to make them fit. (usually more than less I'm afraid :) )The pattern line randomizer otoh is very usefull -to me-. Sometimes it will fire my imagination and give birth to a whole pattern after. So maybe these are the moments you're missing after using the random messiah buttoms ?
I forgot to clarify that I actually like wild noises, I have tracks like this that actually sound just like someone going wild with those two buttons on StiX !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X83VxvnPaSI

VariKusBrainZ wrote:If they spent more time developing the GUI, ergonomics and interaction this would be in everyones plugin folder. I hardley use it as its a bit like a Rubiks Cube to me :oops:

Xils seem better at aping existing designs than creating their own.

Im not knocking the underlying synthesis engines which I do love the sound of.
Hmm yes. Traditional tribute to power/learningCurve ratio if I read you correctly. I'm experiencing a similar feeling as I'm atm diving deeper into Kontakt than before. Often find myself scratching my head to find out how to perform this or that thing. And things that change between this and that particular instrument, or worse, preset of an instrument. Then, when I find it, often the reward was worth the effort.

Well, back to StiX basically I encourage people to use it as follows, and have a clear view of the hierarchy and global GUI/UI :

1/ have a clear view of all 'objects' : You have global presets, drumkits, drumpads (individual drumsounds), and sequences (that can be organised into songs). If you're not sure of what you should save or not, just save the Global Preset, wich will save EVERYTHING.

2/ Drumsounds : Change the sounds on two levels : Easy page, and if you want tons of parameters, the 'advanced synthesis page' (you can switch between these two views instantaneously )

3/ Sequences : You have again 2 main views : Standard, where you specify the hits in the sequence for ALL DRUM SOUNDS, and Advanced, where you specify different parameters for EACH DRUM SOUND and for EVERY SEQUENCER STEP. Here again, you can switch between these views at any moment. A htird view enables you to customize the number of beats per steps for ALL DRUM SOUNDS/Sequence lines.

4/ The Mixer is always visible, has gang mode, and allows you to customize FX for each drum sound.

Various functions, like randomize drums/drumkits/sequences/sequences lines are available to complete the work.

That's the global scheme. I'd recommend to users to start with the default 'global view' : All sequences lines are visible in the standard XoX sequencer view, and the easy synthesis page displays the macro controls for the lelected drmpad. Then, make custom rythms and adapt drumkit/drumpads in this view to have something that come close to what you want.

And, if needed after that, go to the advanced synthesis pages of some drum sounds, or Single Line sequencer editor to discover their magic.

Also I'd recommand to assign midi Cc to at least the macro controls of each sound in the easy synthesis page, because this is also the key to subtle or drastic variations during the track.

How to play it during all these steps ? You can trigger the different patterns, also play individual sounds, and finally mute/unmute the sounds on the fly to make easily variations : All this by simply playing notes on your midi KB. And of course you can also always just cycle thru a pattern while you taylor it.

That's the worflow that really works for me, every time, so maybe it can help some people. Well I have several drum machines, and had a lot of different ones in the past. I must say that there was always a BIG learning curve, with BIG, sometimes cryptic, manuals. And more than often, in the end, with some things impossible to achieve. I'm happy to think that StiX has got rid of most of these barriers and dead ends. Now, it's true that, as it brings some really innovative and never seen features, there will be, if you're not using it at the simplest level I described above (standard XoX view + easy synthesis page), a kind of learning curve. Is it worth it ? I guess the answer will vary according to different people needs/desires etc.

mcbpete wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:Eh eh eh random/IA is cool, but usually, when I use it, it's rare that it's instantly TOTALLY usable(especially with the random drumkit generator) Usually I'll always want to manually replace/adapt at least some of the drumpads after that. Same for the random patterns, usually I still have to edit them more/less to make them fit. (usually more than less I'm afraid :) )The pattern line randomizer otoh is very usefull -to me-. Sometimes it will fire my imagination and give birth to a whole pattern after. So maybe these are the moments you're missing after using the random messiah buttoms ?
I forgot to clarify that I actually like wild noises, I have tracks like this that actually sound just like someone going wild with those two buttons on StiX !

Omg. That's ...... wiiiiiiiild :tu: :tu: :tu:

Lotuzia wrote:
mcbpete wrote:

Omg. That's ...... wiiiiiiiild :tu: :tu: :tu:
I believe Gesom was collaborations between Autechre and others, hence the early Autechre vibe and groove
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:I believe Gesom was collaborations between Autechre and others, hence the early Autechre vibe and groove
Yeah in the past each release was a combination of Sean Booth & Rob Brown (aka Autechre), Andy Maddocks, Darrell Fitton (aka Bola), Mike Williamson, Rob Hall, and Russell Haswell. Nowadays it's pretty much just an occasional Autechre side project ..

Lotuzia wrote: That's the worflow that really works for me, every time, so maybe it can help some people.
Thanks for taking the time to answer in such detail, Lotuzia.
Your help is much appreciated. :tu:

I will go through your recommended steps during the next days.
Then I will also be able to answer your previous question where additional tutorial videos might be most helpful.

nevis wrote:It took me quite some time to figure out that the link for version "1.0.2 beta" on their current site is actually including a copy/paste error and points to the "1.0.1 release" version download.
To download the real beta, you have to manually tweak the link to "102" to get your download.

It's this kind of slackness I struggle with.
Website relaunched in June 2017. Now end of 2017: forum link still points to a 404 error. The forum was a good source to get hints from fellow users. Just gone.
Stix manual? Does not seem to have been updated in over 18 months now. I was desparately hoping for more guidance, either in the form of an updated manual or more tutorials. Just nothing.
The best guidance I got was from the CM Stix tutorial videos...

And as for the change log and the "new beta dated Dec 4th 2017":
The change log is identical to the "beta 1.0.2 dated May 21st 2017" as can be seen here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20170612155 ... nload.html

I am struggling to conceal how miffed I am.

So, Xils Lab, what do you say? Please show me a way forward we can go together. Because I really like the ideas incorporated in this product and would love to properly work with it.
Agree completely. I paid for Stix probably a year ago.
Love it, so incredible...but old unacceptable bugs persist.
1.02 link wrong? No wonder! Unbelievable.
Sample import still not working properly?- i just dont use it.
I cannot assign midi ccs. The interface ignores me.
And now cherry on top: i am blocked out, being asked for license despite ilok saying license active.ilok up to date. What About my work? If any one can assist with this last point, I'd be grateful.
When it works, i render all the time out of pure fear.

I really have never had such a love hate relationship with a VST.
I dont need more than Stix, Falcon and Reaktor...but I need Stix to do the things it says on the can....at least.

Unqlenol wrote:And now cherry on top: i am blocked out, being asked for license despite ilok saying license active.ilok up to date. What About my work? If any one can assist with this last point, I'd be grateful.
That happened to me when I accidentally installed the "old version" over the beta I already had installed.
I fixed this by:
- downloading beta 1.0.2 (the real one, change the URL for that...),
- installing that,
- deactivating/reactivating the ilok.
Hope this does it for you, too?

Let's found a self-help-group.

Sorry I missed the part for the installers v1.02 pointing to the wrong version for the last beta version. I've reported this to Xils-Lab, and I think they'll fix that very quickly now.(will report back when it's done)

I also mentioned the other questions, and will report as soon as I know more about this.

nevis wrote:
Unqlenol wrote:And now cherry on top: i am blocked out, being asked for license despite ilok saying license active.ilok up to date. What About my work? If any one can assist with this last point, I'd be grateful.
That happened to me when I accidentally installed the "old version" over the beta I already had installed.
I fixed this by:
- downloading beta 1.0.2 (the real one, change the URL for that...),
- installing that,
- deactivating/reactivating the ilok.
Hope this does it for you, too?

Let's found a self-help-group.
Self-help-group may well be essential given the circumstances!

I've been in contact with XILs and promised to copy you in on my feedback, so here it is:

'Hi Xavier,

Some more info from me:

Thanks to the devoted users on a kvr thread which you should be aware of (
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=452942 ),
I altered your url for your beta to get the actual beta instead of 1.01 and installed it.

Cubase then crashed when trying to rescan plugin folders.
I uninstalled all stix and re-installed. Same issue.
I uninstalled and reverted to 1.01 : this just takes me back to the license bug initially reported.

I cannot do my work now and have wasted many hours (sessions!) trying to resolve.

I also fear that

1. even once this is resolved my projects wont work properly given that this is such a mess.
2. i have lost Stix's sample content given that the installers are small and i have uninstalled my initial Stix installation.

I would appreciate if this could get resolved as quickly as possible as work has come to a standstill.

I will copy this report to the thread.

Kind regards,'

So for me, the URL fix never helped.

I see Stix as being in danger of a catch 22 existential threat:
On the one hand it holds the potential to become a serious drum machine classic. Maybe one of the best we've ever known (hardware or software).
On the other hand, how can development and popularity proceed if when potential buyers come to read this thread, they will probably go 'Sounds interesting but with bugs like that, I won't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole'.

Right now I feel like a crack addict with my crack in a safe that I lost the key to...

Hello Unqlenol,

They are probably closed during hollydays because I got no answers until now, but was able to join them a week ago for a different matter with a very fast answer.

As far as I can tell : None of your custom presets should be lost. I'm not sure the new installer v1.02 is a/the good one, but the previous beta 1.02, that I installed in feb 2017, was ok, and indeed fixed the midi Cc assign bug + added some presets etc. If you have this version installer from approx the same date, please try to use it, cos it works ok here. But before please read your PMs, because at this point it's safer that you perform a few operations before trying to reinstall once gain.

I apologize for all the trouble you passed thru. I'm -almost 100%- certain that all will be solved quickly. I certainly hope so.

LtZ

Return to “Instruments”