Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Best preset morphing vst?

jk-cream2
Banned

Postby jk-cream2; Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:18 am Best preset morphing vst?

I've been playing with http://www.beepstreet.com/plugins/sunrizer and was enjoying the sound and mad scientist ambiences. I noticed the morph mod wheel. Seems like such and interesting idea but this one seems really limited.
Is there any other vst that has a better preset morphing performance?

I notice that alchemy has the remix pads in the performance section.
Cinebient
KVRAF

2407 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Postby Cinebient; Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:31 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

jk-cream2 wrote:I've been playing with <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.beepstreet.com/plugins/sunrizer</span> and was enjoying the sound and mad scientist ambiences. I noticed the morph mod wheel. Seems like such and interesting idea but this one seems really limited.
Is there any other vst that has a better preset morphing performance?

I notice that alchemy has the remix pads in the performance section.

Alchemy is still the best here but in general you can do it with all synths where you can assign modulation and/or changes to a macro control etc.
recursive one
KVRAF

2855 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Postby recursive one; Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:35 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

Basically you can do extensive preset morphing in any synth which has a modwheel and a decent mod matrix, like Dune2

Some synths have more than one assignable macro controller, Zerba has XY pads where you can link any parameter, Spire 1.1. has 4 macro knobs, Massive has 8 of them.

iirc, MorphoX by Linplug has two panels where you can dial two completely independent presets from scratch and then morph between them with a "morph wheel". Basically it is the same thing as a regular modwheel, but perhaps more ergonomic.
It's not all about how close something is to the bleeding edge of technology or how long the feature list is. If it sounds good to you, it sounds good to you, full stop. (C) Vectorman
aMUSEd
KVRAF

27934 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:44 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

NI Kore 2 was and is the best for this as it hosts plugins and can morph presets for almost all of them, as well as complex combinations of plugins.
Cinebient
KVRAF

Postby Cinebient; Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:03 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

aMUSEd wrote:NI Kore 2 was and is the best for this as it hosts plugins and can morph presets for almost all of them, as well as complex combinations of plugins.

Yep, but isn´t it nearly dead?

The XY pads in Zebra can do a lot too. Controlling them via a touch screen is great.
One of my favourite sound design tools for ambient and soundscapes is still a little mobile app called Mitosynth where i can assign as many changes or parameters to any of 4 XY pads (and more). Sadly, the transitions are not as good with fast changes as in big desktop synths.
Sadly a lot desktop plug-ins are too static for me, even compared to simpler iOS synths which have fantastic ways of changing things on the fly via multi touch.
You can assign all this to controllers but it´s not the same for me.
There is also Omnisphere with the Orb. But it´s more of a random things rather then "contolled" changes.
Oh, and the Equator (bundled with a Seaboard Rise f.e.) is above that all when you like to control those changes live instead of a static sequence, LFO etc.
aMUSEd
KVRAF

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:07 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

Cinebient wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:NI Kore 2 was and is the best for this as it hosts plugins and can morph presets for almost all of them, as well as complex combinations of plugins.

Not really, it's discontinued but so far it's lasted every OS change, even on OS-X, and works with almost every plugin on my system except for VST3 stuff and a few that are buggy. I can even control the morphing with my iPad. Apart from Alchemy, which is still just a single plugin, albeit a powerful one, there is nothing that comes close to Kore 2's morphing. There are a couple of Max4Live devices that attempt it but I have not found them that effective, particularly with third party plugins. The only other host with morphing (also not developed for a while though and only 32 bit) is Audiomulch with its Metasurface but again I find it clunky to use with third party plugins, although it is great with the built in ones.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
dune_rave
KVRian

955 posts since 22 Jun, 2006, from Hungary

Postby dune_rave; Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:08 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

N.I. FM8
Rob Papen BLUE II
Rob Papen BLADE
DiscoDSP DISCOVERY PRO
Sonic Charge Microtonic
http://www.youtube.com/user/softsynthportal?hl=en
Plugin preference: U-he, Rob Papen, KV331, Lennardigital, GForce, NI
DAW preference: Reaper, FL Studio
Cinebient
KVRAF

Postby Cinebient; Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:11 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

aMUSEd wrote:
Cinebient wrote:

Not really, it's discontinued but so far it's lasted every OS change, even on OS-X, and works with almost every plugin on my system except for VST3 stuff and a few that are buggy. I can even control the morphing with my iPad. Apart from Alchemy, which is still just a single plugin, albeit a powerful one, there is nothing that comes close to Kore 2's morphing. There are a couple of Max4Live devices that attempt it but I have not found them that effective, particularly with third party plugins. The only other host with morphing (also not developed for a while though and only 32 bit) is Audiomulch with its Metasurface but again I find it clunky to use with third party plugins, although it is great with the built in ones.

I wonder why it´s discontinued.
If it´s working after an OSX update it means something :D
aMUSEd
KVRAF

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:14 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

Oh and there is Obscurium that can do morphing of selected params, although not whole plugin states (then the same is true of the some of the examples given like Zebra's XYs that can modulate and morph between selected sets of params but not between two or more distinct presets or whole plugin states).
aMUSEd
KVRAF

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:14 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

Cinebient wrote:I wonder why it´s discontinued.

Because NI can be stupid sometimes :)

yeah, I wipe my brow after every update :hihi:

(I guess while NI were stupid to dump it, it shows they do build their stuff well when they try - I still have Spectral Delay working fine after even longer)
Last edited by aMUSEd on Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cinebient
KVRAF

Postby Cinebient; Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:15 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

recursive one wrote:Basically you can do extensive preset morphing in any synth which has a modwheel and a decent mod matrix, like Dune2

Some synths have more than one assignable macro controller, Zerba has XY pads where you can link any parameter, Spire 1.1. has 4 macro knobs, Massive has 8 of them.

iirc, MorphoX by Linplug has two panels where you can dial two completely independent presets from scratch and then morph between them with a "morph wheel". Basically it is the same thing as a regular modwheel, but perhaps more ergonomic.

I also agree on this. I made a few Dune 2 patches and it´s my favourite synth in general at the moment (which can change fast of course). Due to the 8 layer architecture and the modulation it´s possible to create some inetersting and extrem changes inside a patch.... if it just had more LFO and MSEG!
aMUSEd
KVRAF

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:22 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

Reaktor has pretty good morphing between 2 snapshots.
Cinebient
KVRAF

Postby Cinebient; Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:22 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

And there is Falcon which can do nearly unlimited things. I get not really warm with it since i have to do a lot clicking and turning knobs until i get the results i want. But it may be a user issue here :ud:
I like synths which works simple and fast but came out with a great sound without having to use a hundread LFO etc. (but i like that i can use it when i want).
Audulus 3 is also a cheap and limitless tool, then there is Reaktor 6 where your fantasy (and skills) is the limit.....

Uuuppps, there is really much.
It depends also on what kind of sounds and genre you work!
aMUSEd
KVRAF

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:25 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

A slightly different approach would be to feed 2 synths (or one multi out synth with 2 presets) into the Morph 2 effect plugin and use the XY to morph live between the sounds.
Gribs
KVRian

834 posts since 9 Feb, 2007, from San Ramon, California

Postby Gribs; Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:53 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

aMUSEd wrote:
Cinebient wrote:I wonder why it´s discontinued.

Because NI can be stupid sometimes :)

yeah, I wipe my brow after every update :hihi:

(I guess while NI were stupid to dump it, it shows they do build their stuff well when they try - I still have Spectral Delay working fine after even longer)

My understanding (short form) is that NI as a business had only a fixed amount of resources and made a decision to dump the Kore platform to focus its resources on Maschine, which was selling like hot cakes at the time. Fast forward and the Maschine platform has saturated. You buy one now during the holidays and they give you seven extra preset packs FFS. So now we see something like Kore has emerged again with the blinky-light keyboard controllers and Komplete Kontrol.

NI appears to me to be mostly a sound library company right now. They have their core technologies that they continue to develop and then make add-owns to sell. This includes all the synths based on the Reaktor platform.
------------------------------------------
Gribs
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments