Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Best preset morphing vst?

jc_vt
KVRian

742 posts since 27 May, 2012, from Vermont, USA

Postby jc_vt; Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:57 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

Using an instrument rack in Live you can morph between presets, between synths, etc
BDeep
KVRAF

2657 posts since 13 Feb, 2012, from Amsterdam

Postby BDeep; Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:02 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

Yeah but then you're crossfading instead of morphing. Could still be cool though.
jeffb01
KVRian

646 posts since 17 Apr, 2006

Postby jeffb01; Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:08 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

Sugar Bytes Cyclops has a pretty good preset morpher. It's a fun little mono synth.
ere2learn
KVRian

1286 posts since 3 May, 2014

Postby ere2learn; Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:36 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

-edit-
Mister Gibson
Banned

Postby Mister Gibson; Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:48 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

Xlutop Chainer
jc_vt
KVRian

742 posts since 27 May, 2012, from Vermont, USA

Postby jc_vt; Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:15 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

You are right, but still can lead to interesting results

BDeep wrote:Yeah but then you're crossfading instead of morphing. Could still be cool though.
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

6590 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:47 am Re: Best preset morphing vst?

aMUSEd wrote:Oh and there is Obscurium that can do morphing of selected params, although not whole plugin states (then the same is true of the some of the examples given like Zebra's XYs that can modulate and morph between selected sets of params but not between two or more distinct presets or whole plugin states).

+1

I got lost it time last night just playing with the presets having mapped the morph to aftertouch and a few other parameters.

Incidentally, this thing has one of the best plugin scanners I've used. It got through my 10Gb folder pretty quick and didn't crash, unlike many hosts!
The future is yesterday
EnGee
KVRAF

3860 posts since 7 Oct, 2005, from Auckland

Postby EnGee; Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:10 pm Re: Best preset morphing vst?

The morphing in Loom is very nice done. I'm not sure if the morphing can be done between different presets but it has 4 states you can program the speed and direction between them.
i5 Windows 10 64bit, Presonus iTwo, PX-5S, Blofeld and Yamaha HS7.
Cubase Pro 9, S1v3.5 Pro, Notion 6, FLS Producer 12.5, Reaper 5, and some soft synths and effects.
pdxindy
KVRAF

12027 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:12 pm Re: Best preset morphing vst?

aMUSEd wrote:Oh and there is Obscurium that can do morphing of selected params, although not whole plugin states (then the same is true of the some of the examples given like Zebra's XYs that can modulate and morph between selected sets of params but not between two or more distinct presets or whole plugin states).

The problem with Morphing presets for something like Zebra is that 2 different presets can have entirely different sets of modules active...
BDeep
KVRAF

2657 posts since 13 Feb, 2012, from Amsterdam

Postby BDeep; Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:21 pm Re: Best preset morphing vst?

Well, basically any synth that has non-continuous parameters (filter selector, waveform selector - you name it) will have some oddities when morphing between presets. Same is true for modmatrices.
The key is, I guess, to create patches with morphing in mind, so that they align as it were.
But I think it's the main reason most devs didn't bother with something like morphing.

I didn't see Strobe2 mentioned, I thought that had preset morphing as well?
musikmachine
KVRAF

8709 posts since 2 Oct, 2006, from Leeds, UK

Postby musikmachine; Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:47 pm Re: Best preset morphing vst?

I know there are different ways to morph presets but the implementation in Obscurium is fantastic especially with the onboard sequencer and various modes to trigger steps. Everything i've thrown at it so far produces gorgeous results. :)

Oh yeah good call on Strobe 2! IHaven't used it much yet though. I've been running Loom through it as well, great for evolving generative stuff, blips and bloops.

You can kinda morph NI Rounds with the programmer and modulation matrix(?) if you set the values for each oscillator, great on pads.

If your losing Live OP there a few max4live preset morphers like the J74 stuff, various LFOs etc.
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3
aMUSEd
KVRAF

27902 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:56 pm Re: Best preset morphing vst?

pdxindy wrote:

The problem with Morphing presets for something like Zebra is that 2 different presets can have entirely different sets of modules active...

Oh yes, nothing can do that, even Kore can only morph within a given structure, also morphing can't do things like change samples on the fly or anything that involves a discontinuous state (or if badly programmed it can try and you end up with a crash or bad sounds - Kore is too smart to try). However since Zebra is modular I tend to think of each preset as an instrument to itself, so you can create multiple snapshots of each instrument state in Kore and morph between those, something you can't do in Zebra, although I'm hoping Zebra 3 will have such a facility built in.
aMUSEd
KVRAF

27902 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:58 pm Re: Best preset morphing vst?

EnGee wrote:The morphing in Loom is very nice done. I'm not sure if the morphing can be done between different presets but it has 4 states you can program the speed and direction between them.

No like with Zebra morphing is just within a particular instrument structure, it can't switch modules on the fly (it would be a bad idea to try). The XY morphs the macros.
Mister Gibson
Banned

Postby Mister Gibson; Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:12 pm Re: Best preset morphing vst?

jk-cream2 wrote:... preset morphing performance?

Mister Gibson wrote:Xlutop Chainer

Watch 1:42-2:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHRfFy1sLOw
Last edited by Mister Gibson on Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnGee
KVRAF

3860 posts since 7 Oct, 2005, from Auckland

Postby EnGee; Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:17 pm Re: Best preset morphing vst?

aMUSEd wrote:
EnGee wrote:The morphing in Loom is very nice done. I'm not sure if the morphing can be done between different presets but it has 4 states you can program the speed and direction between them.

No like with Zebra morphing is just within a particular instrument structure, it can't switch modules on the fly (it would be a bad idea to try). The XY morphs the macros.

Indeed it makes sense and yes I think also it would be a bad idea to switch modules on the fly.

Can you program the XY pads in Zebra like in Loom? I don't remember really. Sometimes it is useful for a precise (or step by step) morphing for complex sounds. Or does it have recording ability for the morphing?
i5 Windows 10 64bit, Presonus iTwo, PX-5S, Blofeld and Yamaha HS7.
Cubase Pro 9, S1v3.5 Pro, Notion 6, FLS Producer 12.5, Reaper 5, and some soft synths and effects.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments