Tone2 will release Icarus - 3D WaveTable Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elevation for Icarus Icarus3

cyphersuit wrote:125 pages.. how could i miss this?

can anybody give a quick summary of this thread? drama? Dongle vs no dongle discussions? or just pure synth love?
no dongle issue from this dev AFAIK...

Quick summary:

Sounds great,
Very flexible,
Is it really 3D?
No.
Welll, maybe.
Silly marketing team!
Ignore them!
Check out the resynthesis!
Sounds really good!
Much synthesis!
Very detail!
Such preset!
Do want!
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:Quick summary:

Sounds great,
Very flexible,
Is it really 3D?
No.
Welll, maybe.
Silly marketing team!
Ignore them!
Check out the resynthesis!
Sounds really good!
Much synthesis!
Very detail!
Such preset!
Do want!
+ great sound per cpu ratio :tu: (for me one of the most important points)

can anybody give a quick summary of this thread? drama? Dongle vs no dongle discussions? or just pure synth love?
Usual fanboys defending T2 charging VAT included price to buyers outside of EU, and trying to explain 3D when it isn't. It is actually a very good synth and worth demoing.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Half way through it sounds a bit like an engine rumbling away

woodsdenis wrote:

Usual fanboys defending T2 charging VAT included price to buyers outside of EU, and trying to explain 3D when it isn't. It is actually a very good synth and worth demoing.
jsp1979 wrote:As pointed out, there's no difficulty just telling share-it to put your price in Euros and then just pay that. I tried it on Nemesis and it sent 149 Euros to paypal as the total (and I'm in the U.S.).

Crisis averted. :wink:
By the way, thanks for the hint @jsp1979!

woodsdenis wrote:

Usual fanboys defending T2 charging VAT included price to buyers outside of EU, and trying to explain 3D when it isn't.
Bullshit. There were rather several pages with someone continuously ranting about being charged VAT, while living in the US. And one person defending 3D, while several others were wondering where the "3D thing" is supposed to be.

In Icarus ther ar two ways to import wavetables from other wavetable synths (or PWM which is quite similar) if there is no way to export compatible WAV files with them that could be loaded directly or with Resynthesis.

The first is to sample each single waveform from the original table and re-build the tables from single cycle WAV files inside the wavetable editor of Icarus. This is a very tedious and time cosnuming work and could onvolve of sampling and editing thousands of samples.

A much more simple and faster way is to record a wavetable sweep from the original synths using a.g. envelope modulation of the wave index that covers the whole wavetable.
After recording a WAV file from the wavetable sweep and editing/cutting where necessary you could import this into Icarus with Resynthesis. While the amount of waveforms is maybe different to the original table you should be able to get all waveforms of the original table from this. As the wavetable sweep will also use additional interpolation of the original synth engine the resulting wavetable should have quite "smooth" transitions of the waveforms.

After importing the wavetable you could also further edit it by e.g. editing partials o single waveforms or using other editibng features of Icarus including teh Morph modes (and then re-render as a new table).
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

If you want to import wavetables of other synths by Resynthesis of a wavetable sweep (e.g. using an envelope for the wavetable position modulation) it could be a good idea to use the "Create Wavetable: Resynthesis Additive" mode.
That way the phase information of the imported waveform partials will be set to default and symmetric waveforms also appear symmetric in the display of Icarus when being imported (most waveforms inside wavetables of other synths seem to be symmetric while symmtric mostly means mirrored).
If you use the standard Resynthesis mode it could happen that the waveforms appear with a shifted phase.

In certain cases having slightly different phase offsets for different waveforms in the wavetable could also lead to audible results when scanning trough the table. There si also an "Optimize Phases" option in the Osc tool menu and/or in the wavetable editor.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

At the Tone2 forum a user complained that an imported sample did not sound exactly as the original sample.
Of course Resynthesis does not fully replace sample playback (at least if the result should sound 100% like the original) but it offers several options not possible with simple sample playback, as the sampe is imported as a wavetable with many single cycle waveforms (up to 256).
A sample impoprted by Resynthesis COULD sound comparable to the orignal sample (when the full wavetable is played back) but not in all cases.

Something like e.g. drifting pitch, detuned Oscs or detuned Supersaw/Hypersaw sounds usually sound different when imported as a wavcetable with multiple single cycle waves.

Of course also the length of the original sample could be a problem if is it too long. A simple way to solve this seems to be using a higher octave of the sample taht usually results in a shorter sample.

Markus from Tone2 also tried to explain this in his reply there including 2 solutions for long samples (besides taht mentioned above):
Please note that the resynthesis is something different than playing back samples. The resynthesis analyzes a sound and then create a completely new sound with a wavetable which sounds similar (in most cases). It is always a lossy process. Then you are able to tweak this sound further, like timestreching or adding morphs. This is not possible with samples, since samples are static.

The base frequency of the sample you posted is very low. It is around 45 Hz. This is outside the the wavelength search range of the resynthesis.

Solution1:

You can use "RESYNTHESIS->Easy create patch->Time stretch" to load it

Solution2:

reduce the samplerate of the sample to 11khz
Ingo Weidner

Thanks Ingonator, useful tips from you.
Made demo track for Tone2 Icarus. Here are details about it (my rules or idea for it):
This demo doesn't expand what Icarus can do, whats the point if another user cant replicate it. Idea was simple: only Icarus and only whats already in there. It seems in practice that's harder than making new patches, especially because it has re-synthesis but I tried to stick to those rules.
Only some things had to be changed, overall 99% is unchanged. Those things were:
On several patches had to lower Icarus effects. On vocoder patch I used lowpass at about 13k, there was a lot high frequency content, don't want to scary kids (too much), some is still there so kids...beware :)
I wish that I allowed myself to use at least volume automation (in second part) but no, no automation at all. No any effects except on master buss to make it louder. Only daw faders was used (no panning too). On master bus were used eq and several compressors + Limiter No6.
In the end, not perfect but I hope listenable.

Sounds like a happy tune with commercial like sounds, it wasn't my intention, I just went with the flow. In my defense I even choosed to be in G minor scale which "should" sound "tragic" and sometimes it does.

My opinion: synth can do a lot more. This is just scratching the surface. All sounds u hear are in there already (when u install it) and also many many more + u can easily make yr own even if u r beginner. For commercial sounds like trance, edm etc factory sounds (about 1000 of them) are perfect. I leave up to you to test re-synthesis, vocoder and other stuff but if u liked any of the sounds in this demo u can find it easily in factory presets.

Forgot to mention, used 14 instances of Icarus. 1 for drums (I think 909 kit), 1 for perc, 1 for atmos, 1 from fx section etc

https://soundcloud.com/boyss/tone2-icarus-factory-demo

Very nice :)

fidox wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RldxejHofQ

few demo tracks ...
bojanboyss wrote: Forgot to mention, used 14 instances of Icarus. 1 for drums (I think 909 kit), 1 for perc, 1 for atmos, 1 from fx section etc

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https: ... emo</span>
Nice nice. :)

Return to “Instruments”