Tone2 will release Icarus - 3D WaveTable Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elevation for Icarus Icarus3

BDeep wrote:They should name the synth Old McDonalds.
I swear on my mothers flip-flops, I was going to add to my comment above:

here-a-mix, there-a-mix, everywhere a mix-mix...

and considered: duck, duck, didn't.

[true story]
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Tone2 has added informations concerning the Resynthesis and Morph modes (= advanced Osc modes) at Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/Tone2Audiosoftware/
Most synthesizers which are advertized with 'resynthesis', give poor results, are difficult to use and suffer from heavy artefacts. We have taken care of these problems and developed completely new algorithms: The resynthesis of Icarus works properly on nearly any kind of material, is very easy to use and gives high quality results.
Simply click on the button, select a wav file and wait for some seconds. Icarus will automatically create a patch, which sounds very similar to the original sound.
Additonally you can use 54 different morphmodes and a large toolset to shape the sound further: Waveshaping, timestreching, pitchshifting, granulizing, stacking, PWM, formant shifting, bpm syncing, phase distortion, reversing, ringmodulation, sync, rearranging, fm, spectral editing, looping, denoising, mixing,... - literally anything is possible.
It is also possible to create a wavetable based on Resynthesis without creating a new patch but use an existing one.

Icarus will also include multiple ways to create a new wavetable "from scratch", not just by loading existing wavetables or using Resynthesis.
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Tone2 wrote:Most synthesizers which are advertized with 'resynthesis', give poor results, are difficult to use and suffer from heavy artefacts. We have taken care of these problems and developed completely new algorithms: The resynthesis of Icarus works properly on nearly any kind of material, is very easy to use and gives high quality results.
Tone2 wrote:Since years it has been the aim of developers to bring the best “virtual analog” synths. However these products are at best mere approximations of what happens in the real world. We set out to create not just another substractive synthesizer, but one that truly represents the sound of analog hardware.
Kinda funny :) But let's not forget that Tone2 is no less than the
Tone2 wrote:Home of the best VST Plugins & AU Instruments
:D
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:
Tone2 wrote:Most synthesizers which are advertized with 'resynthesis', give poor results, are difficult to use and suffer from heavy artefacts. We have taken care of these problems and developed completely new algorithms: The resynthesis of Icarus works properly on nearly any kind of material, is very easy to use and gives high quality results.
Tone2 wrote:Since years it has been the aim of developers to bring the best “virtual analog” synths. However these products are at best mere approximations of what happens in the real world. We set out to create not just another substractive synthesizer, but one that truly represents the sound of analog hardware.
Kinda funny :) But let's not forget that Tone2 is no less than the
Tone2 wrote:Home of the best VST Plugins & AU Instruments
:D
:lol: Oh man!!

I'm not surprised if they say "No one could make the wavetable synth as it should be, not even Waldorf. Fortunately, that dark age has ended with Icarus" :lol:

edited. nvm
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: The Hypersaw modes (which is just a part of the included unison modes...) could sound very nice and opposing to similar features in many other synths it could be used with all waveforms, not just a Sawtooth.
I know about only two synths, where per-oscillator stereo unison is restricted to sawtooth - these are Virus TI and Diva (still both have global unison which can be applied regardless of the waveform/oscillator type). Other synths, such as Spire, Sylenth, Dune2, Hive allow applying stereounison to any waveform they can generate.

I'm looking forward to try Icarus hypersaw against Virus. Virus hypersaw is really something special, no software synth I tried can quite nail it, not even Spire.

I have nothing but respect to Tone2 SW development acheivements, but their marketing ... well, we have seen worse cases :wink:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

edited. nvm
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

Most synthesizers which are advertized with 'resynthesis', give poor results, are difficult to use and suffer from heavy artefacts.
It's funny how they continue to bash others instead of just relying on their own qualities.
I smell some hidden inferiority complex below this need to belittle other devs.

The resynthesis synths I have have none of those problems.
So either Tone2 is wrong or I am something between a genius and an idiot since I'm able to use them just fine and somehow don't realise how bad they really are...?

In the end it makes Tone2 look fishy (like always) instead of having the desired effect of making them look superior.

I am totally fascinated how a company can not get the most simple communication skills and does the same thing every time they release something new, just to hit the same old wall...
Are they aware how many customers they lose this way?

Good luck with the release anyway! :tu:

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote:
Most synthesizers which are advertized with 'resynthesis', give poor results, are difficult to use and suffer from heavy artefacts.
It's funny how they continue to bash others instead of just relying on their own qualities.

So either Tone2 is wrong or I am something between a genius and an idiot since I'm able to use them just fine and somehow don't realise how bad they really are...?

In the end it makes Tone2 look fishy (like always) instead of having the desired effect of making them look superior.

I am totally fascinated how a company can not get the most simple communication skills and does the same thing every time they release something new, just to hit the same old wall...

Cheers,

Tom
You hit the nail right on the head. Couldn"t have worded it better.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

ThomasHelzle wrote:

Cheers,

Tom
I think the question for them is not "How many customer do we lose this way?", but "How many customers do we gain this way?". The same kind of chicken or egg question as usual. If there weren't people you can target with this kind of marketing, then you wouldn't do it. So you call your DAW "pro", say that your plugins are the best in the world (Propellerhead did the same btw), and that your software is superior to everything on the market. It's just a bit more obvious, and over the top here, but actually, every company does the same. That said, i don't think it's cool either, to tell other plugins which does the resynthesis thing "mostly" suffer from poor results, produce heavy artifacts and all that, because that surely is not the case. Tone2 is really over the top with their marketing, don't think that they, or other companies, really need stuff like that. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to go for the people they can lure with saying that their plugins are the best, and the competition sucks.

edited. nvm
Last edited by Ingonator on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner

chk071 wrote:I think the question for them is not "How many customer do we lose this way?", but "How many customers do we gain this way?". The same kind of chicken or egg question as usual. If there weren't people you can target with this kind of marketing, then you wouldn't do it. So you call your DAW "pro", say that your plugins are the best in the world (Propellerhead did the same btw), and that your software is superior to everything on the market. It's just a bit more obvious, and over the top here, but actually, every company does the same. That said, i don't think it's cool either, to tell other plugins which does the resynthesis thing "mostly" suffer from poor results, produce heavy artifacts and all that, because that surely is not the case. Tone2 is really over the top with their marketing, don't think that they, or other companies, really need stuff like that. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to go for the people they can lure with saying that their plugins are the best, and the competition sucks.
That is true, customers with the same problem (= many, it's endemic) will probably react to this kind of stuff and hope it will make them superior too.
For me it has the totally opposite effect and I think all the KVR-unfriendliness and spite towards them has this at it's core from what I observed over the years.
Interesting...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

As this thread mostly seems to become a place for Tone2 related rants of certain members i do not think it will make much sense to post more infos here until Icarus is released.
Ingo Weidner

so farewell
from this thread
dear ingo
for someone
who says so much
his epitaph
will ever be
EDIT: nvm

- ej thribb, 16 (and a quarter)

Gamma-UT wrote:so farewell
from this thread
dear ingo