Orion Sound Module: Free Rompler

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

These are my finding based on middle C or C3 in version 1.1; patch name listed = one octave lower in sound than middle C as a rule; other patches have notes to explain further:

bass synth
fretless bass
real bass
upright bass
bells-bicycle out of tune 2 semis high
flugelhorn
Iowa alto sax
Iowa bass trombone
Iowa French horn
Iowa Soprano saxes
Brass sax - 2 octaves
trumpet - 2 octaves
tuba one octave
analog piano
dirty grand piano
dx epiano 1
frost piano
paper music box all over the place?
rock organ
tone wheel organ
children xylophone
Ethan's claves E is C
Ethan's glock G is C
Ethan's triangle B flat is C
Ethan's wind chimes F# is C
Glockenspiel out of tune
xylophones each play different octave
marimba
temple blocks ?
tubular bells G is C
Turtle drum C is C lower; D is C higher
retrosynths bells
minimoog bass
polaris dusty 2 octaves off
Yamaha CS15 SAW
Yamaha CS15 SQU
Yamaha CS15 TRI
Celtic harp 2 octaves low
classic guitar 2 octaves low
ebow guitar 2 oct low
funky strat 2 oct low
guitar 2 oct low
harp 2 oct low
violin 2 oct low one semi flat
alsa modular wah
broken wind is 2 oct layer; could be considered correct
minimoog pad (chordal but one oct low and one semi flat)
moog lead plus slight detune
moog minataur bass
moog minataur lead
moog minataur space echo
nubass
phatty bass plus slight detune
boy choir 2 oct low
female one oct high
man ohh 2 oct low
alto recorder
bass clarinet 2 oct low
bassoon 2 oct low
flute 2 oct low
bamboo marimba B is C
Gayageum
toy gamelan slight detune maybe oct off also

I guess thats one of the problems with PD stuff, it can be a bit slap-dash when it comes to stuff like this. It should of course, be checked before releasing it.

Musical Gym wrote:These are my finding based on middle C or C3 in version 1.1; patch name listed = one octave lower in sound than middle C as a rule; other patches have notes to explain further:

Thanks for taking the time to verify each sound, it's appreciated because for a project of this scale, the task was maybe too big. When I was tuning and mapping the samples, I used different plugin tuners and they didn't give the same reading. For instance, the MTuner was always an octave below in its reading compared to FL Studio's Edison.

The drums weren't tuned by me, they are direct translation of either K2000 patches or sf2, except for the big acoustic drum kits which were all mapped by me.

That being said, I'll take the time to check the sounds for sure as I want the instrument to be as good as possible. This is, after all, a way to promote my commercial plugins and it should be as good as it can be.

The only problem I have is time. I'm currently running multiple online businesses, being a musician as well as a record seller, and re-mapping 2 dozens multi-samples will take me at least 1 week full time.

To be honest, I'm not sure I want to dig in public domain samples anymore, because as it is, it easier and safer to just make the sample myself. It would certainly be faster.

As a side note, Orion Sound Module is used in various college courses and the music teacher thought the instrument was very good for what it is, enough to be used in their course. So I guess the octave difference isn't much of a problem for professional use.

I don't think it's a big deal to leave as-is, especially since it's pay what you want and PD.
We can all work around any octave discrepancy. You could fix or not.
Thanks for making it available. It's a good tool.

Musical Gym wrote:I don't think it's a big deal to leave as-is, especially since it's pay what you want and PD.
We can all work around any octave discrepancy. You could fix or not.
Thanks for making it available. It's a good tool.
I'm going to fix these instrument when time permit, if I remember well, I think I moved some of the sound one octave or two below so the sweet spot would fit with my controller middle range. That was probably a mistake, especially with acoustic sounds. That being said, it's with critical feedback that I learn how to get better and do a more professional work. It'll certainly influence the way I'm going to build my next plugins.

:tu:

I was auditioning some patches from uvi digital sensations and noticed after listening to maybe 20 or so, one popped up that was off an octave from previous or next patch. Maybe there's some reason for not being consistent in octave assignment. Just thought I'd mention it since it made me think of Orion. In fact, there are several of them in the Leads section of the DS77.

Musical Gym wrote:I was auditioning some patches from uvi digital sensations and noticed after listening to maybe 20 or so, one popped up that was off an octave from previous or next patch. Maybe there's some reason for not being consistent in octave assignment. Just thought I'd mention it since it made me think of Orion. In fact, there are several of them in the Leads section of the DS77.
Thanks for letting me know! There's probably no "hard" rule for this, but it's not the first time someone tells me that there's an octave up or down off, so I think I'm going to use a note to frequency chart for my next plugin project.
Last edited by SampleScience on Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chances are the ones you sampled from the Kurzweil were "off" in the synth.

Beat actually put this on their latest DVD, in triplicates a total of 3GB, two of which is just wasted space because the samples are the same either for 32 or 64 bit or OSX version.

I guess it saves them work taking others freeware to fill up their own DVD :roll:

Numanoid wrote:Beat actually put this on their latest DVD
Do you have a link to that magazine? They asked for the permission to distribute it but never told me if it had been distributed or not.

Thanks for the heads up about Papas St Germain

http://www.sampleism.com/papasstgermain ... dies?sk=kt

Would be cool if the samples could be housed in an Orion style like interface ...

BTW, sorry I didn't see your question about Beat before now, so you probably already have figured it out, in case not, Orion was included on a couple of the DVDs, for example issue 5/16

http://www.falkemedia-shop.de/musik/beat.html

Numanoid wrote:Thanks for the heads up about Papas St Germain

http://www.sampleism.com/papasstgermain ... dies?sk=kt

Would be cool if the samples could be housed in an Orion style like interface ...

BTW, sorry I didn't see your question about Beat before now, so you probably already have figured it out, in case not, Orion was included on a couple of the DVDs, for example issue 5/16

http://www.falkemedia-shop.de/musik/beat.html
Thanks! I'll contact them because I'd like to at least be informed that the plugin was actually published.

About Orion Sound Module: I'm working on and off on an update that will fix all the current/known issues. There's also GUI improvements that are in progress. It takes a lot of time but the wait will be worthwhile.

Stay tune!

Update about the project: Orion Sound Module is mutating into a better rompler, I've collected tons of new sounds for it and I decided to redesign the plugin with new ideas, new features, etc. It's taking time and I keep releasing new plugins at the same time, but I want to make it the ultimate free rompler with public domain sounds people can use to produce royalty-free loops and music libraries.

Cool :)

One thing that bugs me about all similar plugins is the inclusion of synth samples, I understand why they are there but personally would never use a sample for a synth bass for example, when I can use a synth and all it's modulation instead. And with all the free synths these days, maybe everyone has a synth.

I'd love to have a rompler with only non-synthesizer sounds to augment my plugins.

.jon wrote:Cool :)

One thing that bugs me about all similar plugins is the inclusion of synth samples, I understand why they are there but personally would never use a sample for a synth bass for example, when I can use a synth and all it's modulation instead. And with all the free synths these days, maybe everyone has a synth.

I'd love to have a rompler with only non-synthesizer sounds to augment my plugins.
Indeed, I thought about doing a separate plugin for the analog synth samples I've found in the public domain. But with my new concept for Orion Sound Module, you'll be able to delete whatever you don't want and just keep what you want.

Return to “Instruments”