Stacker by Sample Magic (XX- - Discontinued - -XX)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There's still no demo, but you can get this for about $44 right now using the coupon code "AUTUMN40". Sale ends November 1st.

jsp1979 wrote:There's still no demo, but you can get this for about $44 right now using the coupon code "AUTUMN40". Sale ends November 1st.
If one has Kontakt or another alternative for drum sampling, I don't see how much this brings to the table, other than the creative layering and synthesis.

I'm now more interested in B.L.O.Q. It's on sale for -40%, 30e, cheaper than Stacker, a rompler of classic synths and drum machines. Sounds a lot like an unofficial sequel to Machines MKII in Kontakt's Factory Selection. :P
I don't know about the synth samples, but the price is worth for the number of drum machines alone.

Roland TR 808
Roland TR 909
Roland TR 707
Roland TR 606
Roland TR 626
Roland CR 68
Sound Master SR 55
Nord Drum
Sequential Circuits Drumtraks
MXR 185
Emu Drumulator
Akai MPC 60
Korg Super Drums

I haven't been interested in samples of classic drum machines lately, because most packs I find, have samples I already own. But here, it's pretty 50-50. Actually, 70-50 in favor of ones I don't have in my collection, or would like to have better samples of. Definetely not as comprehensive as Arturia's Spark Vintage, but for the price of a good shirt, looks very nice. From ProducerSpot:

Total Score - 8.5 (GREAT!)

I believe this is a great tool for producers who are looking for some particular patch from vintage synths, and of course it is a great companion for the drum machine! So, unless you already own a big collection of vintage synths, I can’t think of a reason not to have this!

Formats (unfortunately no VSTi, yet?):

2 x Kontakt instruments
2 x Ableton 9 drum and synth racks
1 x EXS-24 instrument
1 x Ultrabeat instrument

Aryaroman wrote:
jsp1979 wrote:There's still no demo, but you can get this for about $44 right now using the coupon code "AUTUMN40". Sale ends November 1st.
If one has Kontakt or another alternative for drum sampling, I don't see how much this brings to the table, other than the creative layering and synthesis.
:lol: This just struck me as funny. That's exactly what Stacker is advertised to bring to the table.

"If you've got a kitchen full of food, then I don't see how much a banana would bring to the table other than being yellow, easily portable, delicious, and a good source of potassium."

That being said, like you, I'm not sold on Stacker. I've watched a video or two this morning about it, and I'm still on the fence even at $44. I've got Geist 2, so I'm trying to see if the layering in Stacker would be a big time saver or not for me.

BLOQ was on a 50% off sale last month. I'm not sold yet on that one either although it is a good price.

I might just buy a sample pack or two. The one-shots in the Samplemagic loop packs are usually quite good. :D

This looks very useful. :hyper:
In particular, sound making of the snare.
http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/ ... ker-641829
I read the review, but not compressor even now?
Will no plans to add?

jsp1979 wrote:
Aryaroman wrote:
:lol: This just struck me as funny. That's exactly what Stacker is advertised to bring to the table.

"If you've got a kitchen full of food, then I don't see how much a banana would bring to the table other than being yellow, easily portable, delicious, and a good source of potassium."
Good point! I'm not myself sure, what I was thinking when I wrote that. Funny thing is, I was actually eating a banana! :lol:

But the question is, what are Stacker's upsides, in banana-terms?
Yellow = UI?
Delicious = sound quality?
Easily portable = ease of use/CPU-use?
Source of potassium = usefulness?

Downsides?

Starts to look and taste like sh*t real quick = ?

If it's like the bananas at my house, they never get eaten before they get old.

So, similarly, Stacker has the potential to never get used before it gets old (i.e. something better comes along). I think there's some merit in the comparison. ;)

I use this a lot, sure you can do what it does in other machines ( notice plural ) Stacker makes the whole process much simpler. Drag in anything as a convolution, very detailed envelopes, delay individual samples really easily and by note if needed etc. Lack of compressor, not a deal breaker as I would probably use a third party one anyway. For this price a steal. I do agree the lack of a demo is bad business.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

On sale right now at under $45. I'm seriously considering.

How does it compare to Polyplex (my absolute favourite) or Battery?

Bought it cause Polyplex -that I love- was killing my CPU.

Basically Stacker is a sort of Polyplex with less features and the same cpu problems. Shortly:

Pros:
  • generators
  • multistage envelope modulator
  • the ability to use it without Reaktor
Cons:
  • only one instrument at time
  • no randomization
  • less presets (no percs, etc etc)
Last edited by alphadelphi on Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alphadelphi wrote:Basically is a sort of Polyplex with less features and the same cpu problems.
You managed to kill my interest for it. Thanx! :D

I was looking for a single drum voice with these specs and stumbled on Stacker yesterday.
No demo is a bit of a bummer, but I took a punt as it's on sale (perpetually?).

Overall I'm happy with the various percussion I can coax from just the Oscillator + noise. Layering-in the samples is good for adding 'character'. Great envelopes, the FX are nice, useful EQ. I can live without the compressor, though it is a mysterious omission.

However I'm disappointed with the CPU usage. 15% when idle on my i7 skylake. I feel it needs to be optimized. The GUI is a bit slow to open. My hope was to pool together multiple instances into drum kits, but that's not going to happen. So it's synthesize and sample. Fine, but where's the drag & drop? It would be sooo handy. Major oversight IMO.

I'd also love to have another Oscillator with cross-mod (FM/AM/Ring) options. Would further expand the pallette.

Overall a great sounding - and looking - plugin that needs some work.

How come that my computer can run Avenger, Rapid, Serum, Diva and the likes SIMULTANEOUSLY without any problems but Stacker creates CPU spikes over 100 % even when nothing is playing? Its been 5 fuckin months and no update! Seriously. This must be from the poorly optimized code, I have never ever experienced these spikes from hundreds of other plugins on the market. I can´t be the only one.

Its like they dont release a demo because they know they have f**ked it up.

You aren't the only one. I have these spikes too.

Great to here I´m not the only one. I don´t get it. They release a plugin that is completely unusable due to CPU spikes. We are not talking about some minor bugs here. 5 months and this has not been adressed. Hello, developers?? Stacker is good, the short moments when it works. Fix it!

Ohlson_M wrote:Great to hear I´m not the only one. I don´t get it. They release a plugin that is completely unusable due to CPU spikes. We are not talking about some minor bugs here. 5 months and this has not been adressed. Hello, developers?? Stacker is good, the short moments when it works. Fix it!
MOD - remove please. Was supposed to edit my own post.
Last edited by Ohlson_M on Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”