Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New

New synth ArcSyn

Richard deHove
KVRist

208 posts since 22 Mar, 2016

Postby Richard deHove; Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:04 pm Re: New synth ArcSyn

ZaBong69 wrote:I do like this synth, just bought it today based on the recommendations here. It seems to be a monster for drones.
The thing I find puzzling are the envelopes... no matter what I do, I can not get them to be snappy enough for plucks and such. With such a low memory and CPU requirements, I would like to use it as my to go synth for weird percussion, but is It possible that the envs are simply too "Slow" for that?

Could you use an LFO to get the pluck envelope instead ?
gremlinmoon
KVRist

152 posts since 9 Dec, 2006

Postby gremlinmoon; Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:08 pm Re: New synth ArcSyn

ZaBong69 wrote:
The thing I find puzzling are the envelopes... no matter what I do, I can not get them to be snappy enough for plucks and such. With such a low memory and CPU requirements, I would like to use it as my to go synth for weird percussion, but is It possible that the envs are simply too "Slow" for that?

Start with the INIT patch. In the preset patch menu it is located above the Bass category as well as above the Keyboard category. It is not the LFO seq INIT patch -- just the regular initialized patch. Envelope 4 is the default amp envelope. Make sure the all of the knobs and sliders (AHDSR) are turned counterclockwise/off/down. Then turn the D (decay) clockwise up to 35ms or more -- anything less is too clicky. Then you can adjust the length from there.

Also, under the preset menu Lead category you can use the Plucky-1 or Plucky-2 as a template for plucks.
ZaBong69
KVRist

104 posts since 5 Oct, 2015

Postby ZaBong69; Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:47 am Re: New synth ArcSyn

Richard deHove wrote:
ZaBong69 wrote:I do like this synth, just bought it today based on the recommendations here. It seems to be a monster for drones.

Could you use an LFO to get the pluck envelope instead ?

Will try this. Will also try to use a second osc just for the attack to get more pluckiness into the sounds. I do miss a phase knob to create easy clicks at the start of a Sound. Will be some time, am travelling now.
Pyrotek45
KVRist

302 posts since 3 Nov, 2013

Postby Pyrotek45; Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:48 am Re: New synth ArcSyn

This thing needs stereo unison and it would be a goto synth for me.
i have an addiction.....a vst addiction.
zerocrossing
KVRAF

9049 posts since 26 Jun, 2006, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby zerocrossing; Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:22 am Re: New synth Arcsynth

SPC Plugins wrote:
urlwolf wrote:Congrats Steven on a fantastic piece of work. I hope you understand how great a response you have gotten!

Yes, I was expecting a barrage of criticisms, so I'm very pleased!

urlwolf wrote:Quick question: There's an osc type called wavetable, is this also computed on the fly (ie not real wavetables, which are small one-cycle samples that are read, not computed)? The waves there look quite complex. All the osc types are pretty amazing. I have to wonder how complex waves can be generated with a formula. Seriously impressive.

The 'wavetable' waveform is a deliberately very basic version of a standard wavetable oscillator, limited to 16-step waveforms so they sound very bright and buzzy (but the steps are still fully anti-aliased). In addition, instead of each waveform having it's own set of 16 steps, they're 'shared' between waveforms, so 1 is steps 1-16, 2 is 2-17, 3 is 3-18 and so on. Also, the waveforms switch from one to another rather than crossfading.

urlwolf wrote:Related question. What is the advantage of computing all oscs in real time instead of using small one-cycle samples as in wavetables? Is the final sound less likely to alias?

It's probably easier to minimise aliasing using wavetables actually. The main advantage of avoiding wavetables is that you can have inharmonic components, noise and other stuff which can't be reduced down to individual cycles.

urlwolf wrote:Since you seem to have put quite a few popular synths under the oscilloscope, could you share your results? If you prefer to keep it undercover so you don't publicly say bad things about your competitors, feel free to PM me :)

I don't have anything bad to say about any popular (or unpopular) synths, only the greatest respect for their developers after having struggled through developing my own! The only thing which surprised me from looking at spectrum plots (which is quite easy to do with something like Audacity) was how the best sounding synths (to my ears) have less high end than you'd expect.

I'm also loving this synth a lot. Really amazing piece of work. :tu:

I was thinking about how it might be really nice to have a bunch of "VSish" or "Waldorfesque" wavetables to mess with inside. Do you think that's something that might be in your idea for the scope of ArcSyn?

Also, another enhancement that I thought would be nice would be for either another filter gain slot, so that two types of gain effects might be used in tandem, or maybe combo gain effects, like overdrive and bit reduction together.

But, as I already said, brilliant synth. I can't recommend it enough.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~
foosnark
KVRAF

4031 posts since 9 Jan, 2003, from Saint Louis MO

Postby foosnark; Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:27 pm Re: New synth ArcSyn

I literally just discovered the various algorithms on the Bitcrush 2 effect last night. So much coolness. It'd be great to be able to modulate them -- mostly to tie them to the note played, so they can track pitch harmonically. :D
sfxsound3
KVRist

377 posts since 30 Mar, 2016

Postby sfxsound3; Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:00 pm Re: New synth ArcSyn

Better sound quality? The randomizer usually spits up sounds that are lo-fi, dirty and fried. Mostly refers to the oscillator sound and the demolition fx. NOT in the ballpark of Sylenth, Serum, The Legend, Aalto, Chromaphone, you get it.

Masking it up by adding phaser, flanger or delay, or more modulation, is not a solution, it's a band-aid.
Richard deHove
KVRist

208 posts since 22 Mar, 2016

Postby Richard deHove; Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:26 pm Re: New synth ArcSyn

sfxsound3 wrote:NOT in the ballpark of Sylenth, Serum, The Legend, Aalto, Chromaphone, you get it.Masking it up by adding phaser, flanger or delay, or more modulation, is not a solution, it's a band-aid.

There are plenty of absolutely brilliant EDM machines - and ArcSyn isn't one of them. I find ArcSyn perfect for weird effects and unusual sweeps, drones, textures and hits. It's a unique character synth, not an EDM workhorse.
sfxsound3
KVRist

377 posts since 30 Mar, 2016

Postby sfxsound3; Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:06 pm Re: New synth ArcSyn

Of course I know it's different and I'm not suggesting it should copy their sound 1:1. I also mentioned 2 analogs and 1 physical modelling synth. Their common feature is that they sound GREAT. ArcSyn is not up there with them. It covers the lo-fi and dirty, add in some hi-fi and clean, how would that hurt?

I've recently rediscovered SlickHDR, very relevant here as well. Just a hint.
darksynth
KVRist

42 posts since 5 Jun, 2017

Postby darksynth; Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:56 pm Re: New synth ArcSyn

amazing synth, with a character of its own compared to the competition

please make the GUI bigger, provide 150% - 200% option , bigger labels, please focus on GUI overhaul

it is well done
geoslake
KVRian

775 posts since 14 Mar, 2002

Postby geoslake; Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:13 am Re: New synth ArcSyn

Any news on a V2 soon ? Esp for a gui overhaul indeed..
fm/osc cross mod would be great though, its the only missing thing to me

Cheers
wagtunes
KVRAF

9123 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:19 am Re: New synth ArcSyn

What kind of resolutions are you guys using? That GUI is HUGE. If it's too small for you 90% of the synths you own must be too small.
exmatproton
KVRAF

1876 posts since 24 Apr, 2011

Postby exmatproton; Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:54 am Re: New synth ArcSyn

wagtunes wrote:What kind of resolutions are you guys using? That GUI is HUGE. If it's too small for you 90% of the synths you own must be too small.

1080P
wagtunes
KVRAF

9123 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:59 am Re: New synth ArcSyn

exmatproton wrote:
wagtunes wrote:What kind of resolutions are you guys using? That GUI is HUGE. If it's too small for you 90% of the synths you own must be too small.

1080P

Well you're not complaining about it being too small. I'm talking about the guys complaining it's too small.
thejonsolo
KVRAF

1754 posts since 13 Apr, 2008, from Charleston, SC

Postby thejonsolo; Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:01 pm Re: New synth ArcSyn

Everything looks small on 4k, heh.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments