Which synths have the best presets?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Logic Pro X and MainStage instrument channel strip presets.

Monark has a very impressive preset called Close to the Bell. Being a fan of progressive rock, this preset really brings me good memories.

wagtunes wrote:
jdoo wrote:My two cents. Zebra Zebra Zebra. Earlier post from someone (Waggly?) about the lack of presets, must have been based in ignorance. Howard Scarr and other killer synth designers really set the bar high for what to expect and hope for in factory presets, with what is packed into Zebra. There's far more than bread and butter sounds. The included presets show you the art-of-the-possible, and excellent examples, of how to squeeze sounds out of Zebra. That’s not all though… Zebra has attracted top sound designers, and budding new sound designers for years. Too many great sound designers to mention, but I’m going to mention a few. :) I’ve been super impressed with the Zebra works by Jozsef, Corin, Yoel, Michael, Frank, Soren, Jeff, Steve, Ed, 3ee, and the Master…. Howard. There are others, who I just can’t remember off the top of my head, or who choose to remain anonymous :) - but the I have listened to, indexed, and rated (for personal use, and for Logic Pro) hundred (thousands) of Zebra patches. There is a reason why Zebra is so popular. Aside from being a capable synth - it has attracted the best sound designers. Really.
As I said, the stock presets that come with Zebra 2 are relatively few.
It ships with over 500 factory presets. No extra download required. Get your facts right.
Last edited by aMUSEd on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

dp

Alchemy (as others have noted) because its multisample-based architecture attracted dozens of talented sound designers who created thousands of very different presets.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Most of the plugins mentioned here, definitely in agreement with.

I also have to agree with Wagtunes - I had noticed the same thing about Zebra's factory presets, may be there are 500 of them and maybe there are good ones in there (and very few not-good ones), but sometimes when you go searching for a particular sort of sound from the base library you come up short; feels like only a couple people did the factory presets (although capable ppl), so they really only span a "country" of what Zebra can do, not the whole "world". At least that was how I saw it, so I could relate when I read Wagtunes' post.
I've gotten a few great soundsets by other great sound designers too, and it does feel like along with those, you can really see how far around Zebra can reach.

[edit] couldn't help but think, again, while reading this thread, that MPowersynth deserved to have some top-notch sound designers involved from the get-go. We have yet to see what that thing can really do, and I'm no good at creating great sounds from scratch, especially on that complex beast.

synzh wrote: I also have to agree with Wagtunes - I had noticed the same thing about Zebra's factory presets, may be there are 500 of them and maybe there are good ones in there (and very few not-good ones), but sometimes when you go searching for a particular sort of sound from the base library you come up short; feels like only a couple people did the factory presets (although capable ppl), so they really only span a "country" of what Zebra can do, not the whole "world". At least that was how I saw it, so I could relate when I read Wagtunes' post.
OK but that's another issue, it's not that there aren't enough or they are not good quality, just that you haven't always been able to find something that suits you for particular projects. That's fine, I feel that way about a lot of plugins, main reason I make so many of my own. I just don't think it is accurate to say it suffers from a lack of good quality presets. But I can't disagree with the fact that they may not suit everyone, these things are a matter of taste and need.

Fair enough; just wanted to add my voice that it felt like the set of factory presets were missing "something", which I can't quite put into words. Trying to find the right sound for certain purposes was just an example. That happens to me on many other synths too (altho there are those for which it doesn't happen much at all, like some of the others mentioned in this thread.)

Sure, as said I feel the same way (and although I like and admire many of the presets that come with Zebra I use very few, if any, of them in my own projects as I prefer to make my own sounds). We all have subjective tastes and preferences, some synths have presets that I click with straight away, others I have to make my own. Padshop for example, there's no denying it ships with a lot of presets, and I think generally people consider them of a good quality, but personally I found them fairly 'safe' considering how well Padshop is geared towards experimentalism.

I must say, I agree with you on that one as well. Had to mess around with the presets and go looking for 3rd-party presets for Padshop too, for that same reason.

Genesis Cm.. I think the stock presets for this forgotten Gem is stellar!!! 8)

The same can be said for Synthmaster, Dune2 and Uhe Ace :party:

Dp
Last edited by surreal on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Honorable mention also goes to Spire! Those presets on the plucks and Basses makes me drool and my feet wanna make danz tunes! !:party:

People really need to learn to read.

I'm done with this stupidity.

wagtunes wrote: Zebra, first of all, comes with very few presets. Yes, it has a download area where you can get more, but as far as the actual presets that come with the synth, they are very few and, quite honestly, not the best representation of what the synth is capable of which, to me, was very disappointing.
Okay, I'm reading. First off, "very few presets". Okay, 500 is really pretty poor.

Differing opinions: I, and others, it seems, feel that the included presets DO show what the synth is capable of. Your presets, from what I've heard, however, tend to sell it a little short.

So you see, "people" CAN read. They just don't agree with what you said.

Return to “Instruments”