Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals

Pulsar 900 Series

pdxindy
KVRAF
 
12576 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:51 am Re: Pulsar 900 Series

ATN69 wrote:The guy is working on his own so it will happen when it happens. I am confident it will happen because from a business point of view it just makes perfect sense to have it ported to Windows. But it may not be a quick thing, that's all.


Depending on someones objectives, it may or may not make business sense.
User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
 
6436 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:11 am Re: Pulsar 900 Series

ATN69 wrote:The guy is working on his own so it will happen when it happens. I am confident it will happen because from a business point of view it just makes perfect sense to have it ported to Windows. But it may not be a quick thing, that's all.

I doubt it for two reasons:

1. The API he is working on (which I don't know what it is) seems to not even allow the build of a VST version. Probably that's due to the graphics engine (my guess) being tightly connected with Apple's own APIs. To make a port, he would have to port the DSP code entirely OUT of where he is working now, and redo all the graphic work from scratch. The fact that he even doesn't have a VST and an AAX version ON MAC OS X and being apparently comfortable with that reinforces my suspitions. Just guessing - he can confirm or deny.

2. He doesn't seem very interested in Windows really, otherwise he would have choose, right before start, a platform (like Juice, for example) that would allow him to port his work easily, and create different versions for different platforms (not just VST, but AAX also). The fact that he (politely) did open the possibility may be seen as simply a way to not dismiss people eventually interested because "we never know". But given the time that passed already, and current state of the instrument, I don't see a Windows version happening EVER.
Last edited by fmr on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)
pulsarmodular
KVRist
 
112 posts since 6 Mar, 2016, from Spain

Postby pulsarmodular; Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:56 am Re: Pulsar 900 Series

Image
User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
 
6436 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:04 am Re: Pulsar 900 Series

You already showed that you're quite diplomatic :clap:

Actually, regarding the framework, I think you're using this, right? https://developer.apple.com/metal/
Fernando (FMR)
pulsarmodular
KVRist
 
112 posts since 6 Mar, 2016, from Spain

Postby pulsarmodular; Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:23 am Re: Pulsar 900 Series

fmr wrote:You already showed that you're quite diplomatic :clap:

Actually, regarding the framework, I think you're using this, right? https://developer.apple.com/metal/


Indirectly. The P900 uses the SpriteKit, so I get a lot of animation and update handling for free. Apple has optimised it pretty well and it runs on Metal now.

I have done some work on a port, but I had to put it aside, as this is not a full time job for me. I also went down a path of vastly expanded system, fully customisable, 3D, design your own modules etc, but turns out that's way too much work. A straight port is not too much fun but much more reasonable so I've adjusted my ambition. I guess we'll see how it goes.
User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
 
6436 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:26 am Re: Pulsar 900 Series

pulsarmodular wrote:
fmr wrote:You already showed that you're quite diplomatic :clap:

Actually, regarding the framework, I think you're using this, right? https://developer.apple.com/metal/


Indirectly. The P900 uses the SpriteKit, so I get a lot of animation and update handling for free. Apple has optimised it pretty well and it runs on Metal now.

I have done some work on a port, but I had to put it aside, as this is not a full time job for me. I also went down a path of vastly expanded system, fully customisable, 3D, design your own modules etc, but turns out that's way too much work. A straight port is not too much fun but much more reasonable so I've adjusted my ambition. I guess we'll see how it goes.

When you say "port" you are talking of a VST version on Mac right? Does Spritekit even prevent you from compiling a VST version?
Fernando (FMR)
pulsarmodular
KVRist
 
112 posts since 6 Mar, 2016, from Spain

Postby pulsarmodular; Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:44 am Re: Pulsar 900 Series

fmr wrote:
pulsarmodular wrote:
fmr wrote:You already showed that you're quite diplomatic :clap:

Actually, regarding the framework, I think you're using this, right? https://developer.apple.com/metal/


Indirectly. The P900 uses the SpriteKit, so I get a lot of animation and update handling for free. Apple has optimised it pretty well and it runs on Metal now.

I have done some work on a port, but I had to put it aside, as this is not a full time job for me. I also went down a path of vastly expanded system, fully customisable, 3D, design your own modules etc, but turns out that's way too much work. A straight port is not too much fun but much more reasonable so I've adjusted my ambition. I guess we'll see how it goes.

When you say "port" you are talking of a VST version on Mac right? Does Spritekit even prevent you from compiling a VST version?


A port to a cross-platform/multiformat code base (Mac/Win/AU/VST/etc). Both the GUI and the AudioUnit plugin glue code need to be replaced. But the dsp, high level logic for actual modules, connections etc., the core of P900, is portable C++.
Saturn Return
KVRer
 
28 posts since 29 Aug, 2017

Postby Saturn Return; Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:05 pm Re: Pulsar 900 Series

pulsarmodular wrote:
fmr wrote:
pulsarmodular wrote:
fmr wrote:You already showed that you're quite diplomatic :clap:

Actually, regarding the framework, I think you're using this, right? https://developer.apple.com/metal/


Indirectly. The P900 uses the SpriteKit, so I get a lot of animation and update handling for free. Apple has optimised it pretty well and it runs on Metal now.

I have done some work on a port, but I had to put it aside, as this is not a full time job for me. I also went down a path of vastly expanded system, fully customisable, 3D, design your own modules etc, but turns out that's way too much work. A straight port is not too much fun but much more reasonable so I've adjusted my ambition. I guess we'll see how it goes.

When you say "port" you are talking of a VST version on Mac right? Does Spritekit even prevent you from compiling a VST version?


A port to a cross-platform/multiformat code base (Mac/Win/AU/VST/etc). Both the GUI and the AudioUnit plugin glue code need to be replaced. But the dsp, high level logic for actual modules, connections etc., the core of P900, is portable C++.


Cheers for the response. Will keep my fingers crossed.
User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
 
6436 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:51 pm Re: Pulsar 900 Series

pulsarmodular wrote:A port to a cross-platform/multiformat code base (Mac/Win/AU/VST/etc). Both the GUI and the AudioUnit plugin glue code need to be replaced. But the dsp, high level logic for actual modules, connections etc., the core of P900, is portable C++.

So, basically, it confirms my assumptions. I wish you all the best, and hope you succeed, but it will not be an easy task that you have in front of you :tu:

Just curious: What platform are you thinking on to do the job?
Fernando (FMR)
User avatar
ATN69
KVRAF
 
1558 posts since 5 Oct, 2015, from Swedish / Living in Hong Kong

Postby ATN69; Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:25 pm Re: Pulsar 900 Series

plexuss wrote:
ATN69 wrote:The guy is working on his own so it will happen when it happens. I am confident it will happen because from a business point of view it just makes perfect sense to have it ported to Windows. But it may not be a quick thing, that's all.


Porting to windoze might open up a huge support pandoras box. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.


Very true. But I don't think Windows require more or less support than any Mac OS, it's just that when you open up your product for a larger number of customers you will of course have more people asking for support.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 12
pulsarmodular
KVRist
 
112 posts since 6 Mar, 2016, from Spain

Postby pulsarmodular; Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:48 pm Re: Pulsar 900 Series

Already did some Win GUI design!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
 
28286 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:49 pm Re: Pulsar 900 Series

Any idea why this simply doesn't show/scan in Tracktion Waveform? (does support AU/64 bit)
pulsarmodular
KVRist
 
112 posts since 6 Mar, 2016, from Spain

Postby pulsarmodular; Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:59 pm Re: Pulsar 900 Series

aMUSEd wrote:Any idea why this simply doesn't show/scan in Tracktion Waveform? (does support AU/64 bit)


Apple changed the AU discovery protocol several years ago. Numerology and Live had the same problem initially but that's been resolved by updates. My guess is Tracktion is still using the legacy method.
kaerus
KVRer
 
12 posts since 25 Feb, 2014

Postby kaerus; Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:26 pm Re: Pulsar 900 Series

fmr wrote:
ATN69 wrote:The guy is working on his own so it will happen when it happens. I am confident it will happen because from a business point of view it just makes perfect sense to have it ported to Windows. But it may not be a quick thing, that's all.

I doubt it for two reasons:

1. The API he is working on (which I don't know what it is) seems to not even allow the build of a VST version. Probably that's due to the graphics engine (my guess) being tightly connected with Apple's own APIs. To make a port, he would have to port the DSP code entirely OUT of where he is working now, and redo all the graphic work from scratch. The fact that he even doesn't have a VST and an AAX version ON MAC OS X and being apparently comfortable with that reinforces my suspitions. Just guessing - he can confirm or deny.

2. He doesn't seem very interested in Windows really, otherwise he would have choose, right before start, a platform (like Juice, for example) that would allow him to port his work easily, and create different versions for different platforms (not just VST, but AAX also). The fact that he (politely) did open the possibility may be seen as simply a way to not dismiss people eventually interested because "we never know". But given the time that passed already, and current state of the instrument, I don't see a Windows version happening EVER.



I think your analysis is spot on, apart from the window port. Juce is a viable option.
User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
 
6436 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:07 am Re: Pulsar 900 Series

pulsarmodular wrote:Already did some Win GUI design!

Although it doesn't look so gorgeous I wouldn't mind to have Pulsar 900 like this, as long as the sound is there. :wink:
Fernando (FMR)
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments