Pulsar 900 Series

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
900 Series Modular Synthesizer

pdxindy wrote:Dmitry Sches now has what... 3 plugins I think...
Okay, so what?

Do you know what kind of life he has? Do you know if he works a job?Do you know how many hours that job requires if he does? I mean do you know anything at all about this man other than his products? For all you know he has no other job and this is all he does. Maybe he has a job and it isn't demanding.

There are always going to be exceptions. Pointing them out is missing the point. Again, I said "many" not all.

The KVR Database (go take a look sometime) is littered with sites that have gone belly up.

fmr wrote: I think people sometimes confuse some idiosyncrasies that are modeled in emulations with flaws, forgetting that ALL analog models from the past HAD flaws (and limitations).

BTW - For me, Moog was NEVER my favorite analog - just as an example, even though I grew up for synth music with "Switched-on Bach" and Klaus Schulze earlier albums.
Yep and those idiosyncrasies are sometimes is what called "analog magic".

I grew up on soundtracks made on EMS Synthi 100, Imo EMS diode ladder filter sound worse :)
Last edited by david.beholder on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murderous duck!

wagtunes wrote:
fmr wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Here is the problem. Not everybody is a U-he or Native Instruments with a huge staff and tons of money and time for R&D.
Not even U-he.
Well I'm pretty sure Urs Heckman is more than just him, correct?
When Urs launched Zebra 1, it was just him. When he launched MFM and Filterscape, it was still just him.
Okay, well does anybody actually know how many people work for him at the moment? At that point in time when he was just him, depending on his personal circumstances (did he have a regular job?) he could have very well stopped developing. So what he may or may not have been back then is irrelevant to the conversation we're having now. Not every single person shop has the resources to say "Hell with everything else in my life" and continue to develop when bills have to be paid. That is all I'm saying. Nothing more, nothing less.
I think that the U-He staff now is like 5 or 6 people (including him).

Anyway, you have lots of developers who launched many plug-ins for years, working alone. HG Fortune, for example. And the guy behind Fathom Synth is also working alone. As is the guy behind VCV (AFAIK). As is Full Bucket. As is Wolfgang Palm.

And many of these don't charge for their plug-ins, or charge really cheap. And they create their plug-ins from start already compatible with Mac and Windows, VST and AU.

The thing with the developer of P900 was clearly a lack of capacity of getting out of the Apple bubble where he dove. He clearly did not have the skills to do that. And he decided to leave, without even warning his customers, apparently.

And it's not like he was charging cheap for his product, is it? Actually, it is still available for sale. How lame is that?
Fernando (FMR)

Not only it’s still for sale without a clear future but the copy protection in this case is insane and extremely risky.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

fmr wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
fmr wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Here is the problem. Not everybody is a U-he or Native Instruments with a huge staff and tons of money and time for R&D.
Not even U-he.
Well I'm pretty sure Urs Heckman is more than just him, correct?
When Urs launched Zebra 1, it was just him. When he launched MFM and Filterscape, it was still just him.
Okay, well does anybody actually know how many people work for him at the moment? At that point in time when he was just him, depending on his personal circumstances (did he have a regular job?) he could have very well stopped developing. So what he may or may not have been back then is irrelevant to the conversation we're having now. Not every single person shop has the resources to say "Hell with everything else in my life" and continue to develop when bills have to be paid. That is all I'm saying. Nothing more, nothing less.
I think that the U-He staff now is like 5 or 6 people (including him).

Anyway, you have lots of developers who launched many plug-ins for years, working alone. HG Fortune, for example. And the guy behind Fathom Synth is also working alone. As is the guy behind VCV (AFAIK). As is Full Bucket. As is Wolfgang Palm.

And many of these don't charge for their plug-ins, or charge really cheap. And they create their plug-ins from start already compatible with Mac and Windows, VST and AU.

The thing with the developer of P900 was clearly a lack of capacity of getting out of the Apple bubble where he dove. He clearly did not have the skills to do that. And he decided to leave, without even warning his customers, apparently.

And it's not like he was charging cheap for his product, is it? Actually, it is still available for sale. How lame is that?
Well good for them. Not everybody can and/or wants to do that. Many don't.

Again, that's ALL I'm saying.

fmr wrote:The thing with the developer of P900 was clearly a lack of capacity of getting out of the Apple bubble where he dove. He clearly did not have the skills to do that. And he decided to leave, without even warning his customers, apparently.
This is an opinion. It is not a fact.

Who knows what happened to Peter (pulsarmodular). Could be anything. He could be busily porting P900 to windoze. who knows. maybe ask him if you care?

Audio software is a risk because of the ease at which people can get into it and the challenges of priotitizing it. As a consumer of audio software, its actually quite a mine field where it's so easy to find yourself having spent money on software only to find it abandoned.

Even if it's not abandoned: I bought Sonible smartEQlive and it crashes my DAW. Sonible says they can't help me. So, it's dead wasted software to me. This is also a risk - developers who won't help you with a problem. :dog:

It also happens with hardware - I recently had to send a web cam back because the company pushed a firmware update that broke it and they wont commit to fixing it.

Software products are way more precarious than hardware product. It's best to spend some time considering the risk before making a puchase decision.

Ok. Back to playing P900 with a Seaboard RISE! :phones:
Last edited by plexuss on Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes wrote:Okay, well does anybody actually know how many people work for him at the moment?
U-he constitutes eleven people. Very far from a 'huge staff'. But he started off solo, and built that team gradually over a period of at least a decade and a half.

https://u-he.com/about/team.html

Very few audio-plugin-only companies are bigger.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

plexuss wrote:He could be busily porting P900 to windoze.
He said he's not doing that. He said it is not ruled out in the future, but it aint in the works.

30% off (see BF thread), which is fairly rare, but is it abandonware?

fmr wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:34 pmI think that the U-He staff now is like 5 or 6 people (including him).
More like 13.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:43 am
fmr wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:34 pmI think that the U-He staff now is like 5 or 6 people (including him).
More like 13.

Yes, whyterabbyt already clarified that :)

But it wasn't always 13. For quite some time, Urs was working alone, and even having a daytime job in parallel, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is he also started in OS X, and even evangelizing the (then quite new) AU platform, for what he was one of the first non-Apple developers. But he managed to make the cross to Windows, and quite successfully.
Last edited by fmr on Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Whoops, didn't see whyte's post. :oops:

lnikj wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:40 am 30% off (see BF thread), which is fairly rare, but is it abandonware?
Tempted as well. Afraid it’d be wasted money, like buying Arts Acoustics stuff.

masterhiggins wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:15 pm
lnikj wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:40 am 30% off (see BF thread), which is fairly rare, but is it abandonware?
Tempted as well. Afraid it’d be wasted money, like buying Arts Acoustics stuff.
My advice: Buy software for what it is right at the moment. Or, accept the risks and rely on hope. However you will have no reasonable recourse to complain if it doesn't turn out the way you speculated. Ask yourself if it's worth it. :phones:

I wouldn't buy it based on hope. It has known unfixed bugs and it isn't going anywhere development wise.

I bought it in the end because it just sounds excellent. Really something special even to my ageing ears. I expect it will last a while; Alchemy is still working.

Return to “Instruments”