Alternate GUI for Arcsyn now available in v1.5 out now.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My "light" skin is now available in the updated V1.5 download at the SPC plugins official site.
http://www.spcplugins.com/arcsyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by layzer on Thu May 05, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 7 times in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

My initial reaction is that the yellow needs to go. It just doesn't work with the grey.

Naenyn wrote:My initial reaction is that the yellow needs to go. It just doesn't work with the grey.
thanks! i agree, what color do you think would go better? i went with yellow because the LFO shapes color on the bottom can not be changed. lets have some suggestions what color the windows should be. i go with some blue tint.

also, i cant change the white patch name color or the drop down menu font type.

It's a step in the right direction but the color scheme isn't the worst bit about ArcSyn. It's the general UX design of it. It's all over the place. I could live with the general color scheme if the knobs weren't so amazingly bad. Hello 1992, Kai Krause wants his filters back. :lol:

But mostly it's just a mess. It needs to be set up with a function hierarchy in mind, not just put things where they fit. Rookie mistake. I actually offered the dev some free help (it's what I do for a living) and he said he had it under control, so there's no arguing with that but I doubt I'll pick it up. I'm pretty flush with synths and though it sounds good, it's not enough for me. It's got to not fight me in terms of usability. If I want ugly I'll just work with Scope or VAZ modular. I could always open up an old version of Absynth if I'm really feeling the urge to be punished. :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

layzer wrote:
Naenyn wrote:My initial reaction is that the yellow needs to go. It just doesn't work with the grey.
thanks! i agree, what color do you think would go better? i went with yellow because the LFO shapes color on the bottom can not be changed.
I think I'd go with a red-ish tint to match the red accents around the knobs. I also agree with zerocrossing that the knobs need help. I don't have a suggestion for improvement other than to lose the little dots around the base of the knob.

zerocrossing wrote:It's a step in the right direction but the color scheme isn't the worst bit about ArcSyn. It's the general UX design of it. It's all over the place. I could live with the general color scheme if the knobs weren't so amazingly bad. Hello 1992, Kai Krause wants his filters back. :lol:

But mostly it's just a mess. It needs to be set up with a function hierarchy in mind, not just put things where they fit. Rookie mistake. I actually offered the dev some free help (it's what I do for a living) and he said he had it under control, so there's no arguing with that but I doubt I'll pick it up. I'm pretty flush with synths and though it sounds good, it's not enough for me. It's got to not fight me in terms of usability. If I want ugly I'll just work with Scope or VAZ modular. I could always open up an old version of Absynth if I'm really feeling the urge to be punished. :lol:
thanks zero. yeah, he may toss this back at me when i present it to him, but its worth a shot
to make it an option for those wanting a light toned gui on it. if he rejects it, well ... i might
just have to offer it on PM basis. :shrug:

Naenyn wrote:
layzer wrote:
thanks! i agree, what color do you think would go better? i went with yellow because the LFO shapes color on the bottom can not be changed.
I think I'd go with a red-ish tint to match the red accents around the knobs. I also agree with zerocrossing that the knobs need help. I don't have a suggestion for improvement other than to lose the little dots around the base of the knob.
something like this perhaps? i kind of like the dots around the knobs as they follow the ball theme of the sliders and buttons.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

And my initial reaction is that both the washed out yellow and the grey need to go!

Any other washed out colour in tandem with grey is going to look like a really bland, uninteresting, non-edgy synth gui.

Like something has been left in the sun too long and it doesn't function that well any more.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

layzer wrote:something like this perhaps?
Looks a lot better to me than the yellow did. Can you change the background/shading on the sliders though?

HunterKiller wrote:
And my initial reaction is that both the washed out yellow and the grey need to go!

Any other washed out colour in tandem with grey is going to look like a really bland, uninteresting, non-edgy synth gui.

Like something has been left in the sun too long and it doesn't function that well any more.
i would have to say that your ideal gui is the high contrast one already on the synth then.
thanks for your input sir, but this gui is for people that want a gui that doesn't hypnotize them.

Last edited by layzer on Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Naenyn wrote:
Looks a lot better to me than the yellow did. Can you change the background/shading on the sliders though?
yes, you mean to also color that in red too?

layzer wrote:
Naenyn wrote:
yes, you mean to also color that in red too?
Yep, they still look yellow-y to me. Now it'll probably end up being too red though. Heh. :ud:

here is blue without the knob dots.

The synths GUI itself needs a redesign. Changing the colours doesnt make it any more usable. Its not a great design.

The blue isn't bad. I think I prefer the red. They're both better than the yellow though. I like the knobs better without the dots but I think they should be a bit bigger to compensate for the removal of the dots.

I agree with what others have said that the overall design needs to be redone.. I just don't have any suggestions on how to change it. In particular, the filter section seems too big.

Nrrghh.. yeah, I've got nothing on the design. Carry on. :party:

Return to “Instruments”