7%
22%
31%
19%

Total votes : 376
egbert101
KVRian

914 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Postby egbert101; Sat May 13, 2017 11:35 am Re: Repro-1 (out now)

AnX wrote:
egbert101 wrote:
Yeah, originally TD were a progressive rock band

Kraftwerk were similar originally, a bit prog/psych

Yeah, their first two albums (Kraftwerk and Kraftwerk 2) are very different to their synthpop type production. Probably best described as Krautrock or experimental. Kraftwerk are another big favourite of my, as any synth fanatic probably agrees. :hihi: My favourite album of theirs is actually a mix album called The Mix, which were reworked versions of their other stuff.
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF

9137 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal

Postby fluffy_little_something; Sat May 13, 2017 11:36 am Re: Repro-1 (out now)

MODO bass is almost 400 euros 8) That would definitely be overkill for an amateur :)

Of course I have never played any of those old SCI synths, but I know the Prophet 5 was widely used in the early 80's. And the U-he version will add useful extras...
egbert101
KVRian

Postby egbert101; Sat May 13, 2017 11:45 am Re: Repro-1 (out now)

wagtunes wrote:
egbert101 wrote:Oh don't get me wrong. I like Arturia's VS. But I think U-he would do a better job.

Probably, but I don't think that's the direction they're going. Looks like The Octave Cat is a good possibility, then possibly a revision 2 update for Repro-5, and then a (fingers crossed) an Oberheim mashup. All this while working on Zebra 3.

Apologies if this is too much a u-he roadmap. :hihi:
pdxindy
KVRAF

11854 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Sat May 13, 2017 1:35 pm Re: Repro-1 (out now)

egbert101 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
egbert101 wrote:Oh don't get me wrong. I like Arturia's VS. But I think U-he would do a better job.

Probably, but I don't think that's the direction they're going. Looks like The Octave Cat is a good possibility, then possibly a revision 2 update for Repro-5, and then a (fingers crossed) an Oberheim mashup. All this while working on Zebra 3.

Apologies if this is too much a u-he roadmap. :hihi:

Naaa... Octave Cat, then I want something that sounds as good as RePro and has the wiring flexibility of ACE so ACE XL!!

and of course Zebra 3 ;)
inusable
KVRist

34 posts since 9 Oct, 2006

Postby inusable; Sat May 13, 2017 3:38 pm Re: Repro-1 (out now)

egbert101 wrote:And before anyone starts crying about off topic, I think the Prophet 5 was involved in the production of the original Stranger Things soundtrack.

Not Prophet 5 but Prophet 6 mainly.

From Kyle Dixon himself : "Prophet 6 is all over the Stranger Things score.
Along with a ton of other stuff, but that was a big part"
U N I S O N : shoegaze / electronic / black metal wall of sound with heavenly voice
https://soundcloud.com/weareunison / https://www.facebook.com/unison666 / https://weareunison.com/
egbert101
KVRian

Postby egbert101; Sat May 13, 2017 4:06 pm Re: Repro-1 (out now)

inusable wrote:Not Prophet 5 but Prophet 6 mainly.

Stein: The Prophet adds a sound that was in so many movies, from Tangerine Dream’s [soundtracks] to John Carpenter’s.

Dixon: It’s all over everything, so it definitely references that [‘80s] era just because it was so popular. That is a great sounding keyboard. We use a Prophet Six but the original one was a Prophet 5.
http://www.salon.com/2016/07/23/obsesse ... nth_score/
inusable
KVRist

34 posts since 9 Oct, 2006

Postby inusable; Sat May 13, 2017 5:53 pm Re: Repro-1 (out now)

From Kyle Dixon himself : "Prophet 6 is all over the Stranger Things score.
Along with a ton of other stuff, but that was a big part"

"Other stuff" is Arp Odyssey, 2600, Mono/Poly, Sixtrak and some other.

The only other thing named Prophet that has been used on the score is the Prophet VS.
U N I S O N : shoegaze / electronic / black metal wall of sound with heavenly voice
https://soundcloud.com/weareunison / https://www.facebook.com/unison666 / https://weareunison.com/
ErikH
KVRist

428 posts since 16 May, 2012, from Antwerp

Postby ErikH; Sat May 13, 2017 10:12 pm Re: Repro-1 (out now)

Not exactly on topic, but if you love TD's Phaedra, then listen to Froese's first two solo albums Aqua and Epsilon in Malaysian Pale. Don't go for the reworked versions but get the original Virgin ones. The individual albums are too expensive, but the Edgar Froese - Solo - Virgin years contains the original versions.

Of their pre-Virgin period, Zeit is my 'favourite'. Between brackets because all these albums are a bit seriously dated and loose improvisations without much substance than the smell of the joints they smoked.
Phaedra was a shock to my system and still stands out as their best for me.
No Prophets of course, but Chris Franke's Moog. And of course a mellowdrone.
I think I know I mean err... "Yes" but it's all wrong... that is I think I disagree...
Urs
u-he

20840 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Sun May 14, 2017 12:08 am Re: Repro-1 (out now)

pdxindy wrote:Naaa... Octave Cat, then I want something that sounds as good as RePro and has the wiring flexibility of ACE so ACE XL!!

If Cat then with Factory Upgrades and possibly a few modules to patch to and from.

However, while the endless discussions about "how close this or that" are certainly good for sales and stuff, they have a decreasing impact on my ambition to do more such things.
Urs
u-he

Postby Urs; Sun May 14, 2017 12:15 am Re: Repro-1 (out now)

wagtunes wrote:Repro 5 has me curious but I'm not 100% sure it's something I'm going to be getting. Honestly, I wasn't a huge Prophet 5 fan when it was all the rage. I thought the Prophet VS was much more interesting, even though it wasn't nearly as popular. Now a great emulation of THAT, I would get in a heartbeat.

Funnily, I have recently discovered a novel approach in wavetable synthesis which would lend itself perfectly for a VS-style oscillator section. Unfortunately of course it wouldn't be an exact emulation... hence, I'm not sure if it's worth following up on it. Certainly not in the context of another Repro spin off.

Also, we're adding vector synthesis to Zebra 3, but in a more generalized way.
ghettosynth
KVRAF

8802 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Sun May 14, 2017 12:45 am Re: Repro-1 (out now)

Urs wrote:
pdxindy wrote:Naaa... Octave Cat, then I want something that sounds as good as RePro and has the wiring flexibility of ACE so ACE XL!!

If Cat then with Factory Upgrades and possibly a few modules to patch to and from.

However, while the endless discussions about "how close this or that" are certainly good for sales and stuff, they have a decreasing impact on my ambition to do more such things.

Not everyone asks you know, justsayin. However, when you find the ambition for the Octave Cat and/or the evolution of ACE, or just the next evolution of Berlin Modular, I'm definitely down for that.

As much as I like the Cat, and FWIW, I own one with the 2040 filter, I could play with filter FM all day on that thing, I would also like to see your take on the CEM multimode from the Elka Synthex in Diva. Maybe you should call it Diva XL so that you can charge for the upgrade. New modules of that caliber aren't really a simple "update" in my book.

I don't really have anything constructive to add here as I feel like my tastes put me in the minority of synth consumers, e.g., as much as I'm excited about your take on the P5, I was one of a half dozen or so who felt that monosynths are perfectly valid, even in software. Also, I don't care much about pure emulations of synths, just of different parts of them.

At any rate:

+1 on the Octave Cat
+1 on ACE XL
Urs
u-he

Postby Urs; Sun May 14, 2017 12:54 am Re: Repro-1 (out now)

ghettosynth wrote:Not everyone asks you know, justsayin.

I know. It's just, you know, that pesky noise floor when some people are at each other's throat for, well, nothing really.
Cinebient
KVRAF

2212 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Postby Cinebient; Sun May 14, 2017 12:56 am Re: Repro-1 (out now)

Urs wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Repro 5 has me curious but I'm not 100% sure it's something I'm going to be getting. Honestly, I wasn't a huge Prophet 5 fan when it was all the rage. I thought the Prophet VS was much more interesting, even though it wasn't nearly as popular. Now a great emulation of THAT, I would get in a heartbeat.

Funnily, I have recently discovered a novel approach in wavetable synthesis which would lend itself perfectly for a VS-style oscillator section. Unfortunately of course it wouldn't be an exact emulation... hence, I'm not sure if it's worth following up on it. Certainly not in the context of another Repro spin off.

Also, we're adding vector synthesis to Zebra 3, but in a more generalized way.

Vector synthesis. Sounds interesting.
But what means in a more generalized way?
pdxindy
KVRAF

11854 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Sun May 14, 2017 2:24 am Re: Repro-1 (out now)

Urs wrote:

It is fun to fantasize about all the cool stuff that could be done, however, I'm gonna enjoy whatever you come up with... :tu:

I am very much looking forward to RePro-5 and Bazille continues to be a treasure trove of sonic treats!
Urs
u-he

Postby Urs; Sun May 14, 2017 5:36 am Re: Repro-1 (out now)

Cinebient wrote:Vector synthesis. Sounds interesting.
But what means in a more generalized way?

It's Zebra. It's got 4 "lanes" of audio. We'll add a 4-in-1 mixer with a vector mode. A "more generalized way" means, you're not restricted to waveforms, you can vector-mix anything.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments