PG-8X (2.0) released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

I WAS speaking of playing the SAME note repeatedly of course :)
I do it all the time for instance when playing chord sequences where some notes stay the same while others change.
Some synths seem to slightly detune the 2nd iteration so that the overlapping doesn't sound ugly, basically what you do with your octave stretching or whatever you call it.
In Sylenth that does not happen. I asked LD about it some time ago and he said I should very slightly modulate the pitch via velocity (which of course assumes one doesn't hit the same key repeatedly with exactly the same velocity).

Thinking about it, maybe we are talking about different things. In terms of Midi I think I understand what you mean. Basically the second note-on event for the same key should automatically be a note-off event for the previous note, right?

Yes, I did not mean overlapping in the release tail, but overlapping Gates.
In fact, the POLY 2 mode was meant in particular for that kind of playing with overlapping release tails.

But overlapping tails are no problem what so ever.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I WAS speaking of playing the SAME note repeatedly of course :)
I do it all the time for instance when playing chord sequences where some notes stay the same while others change.
Some synths seem to slightly detune the 2nd iteration so that the overlapping doesn't sound ugly, basically what you do with your octave stretching or whatever you call it.
In Sylenth that does not happen. I asked LD about it some time ago and he said I should very slightly modulate the pitch via velocity (which of course assumes one doesn't hit the same key repeatedly with exactly the same velocity).

Thinking about it, maybe we are talking about different things. In terms of Midi I think I understand what you mean. Basically the second note-on event for the same key should automatically be a note-off event for the previous note, right?

In Mulab the problem is the same. It seems like that's the way DAW's work...
But my hanging note yesterday had nothing to do with that as I was only playing live, without recording anything. But I don't remember what I did :oops: I do remember that it also happened with your previous versions. That's why I never really used it, waiting for the fixed final version...

I actually like the supposedly slow envelopes, they are musical and match the pleasant sound character :)
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Wed May 18, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fluffy_little_something wrote:In Mulab the problem is the same. It seems like that's the way DAW's work...
But my hanging note yesterday had nothing to do with that as I was only playing live, without recording anything. But I don't remember what I did :oops: I do remember that it also happened with your previous versions. That's why I never really used it, waiting for the fixed final version...
Do you remember in which assignment mode you were? Poly 2 as well?

No, I don't remember. I have been playing around randomly in order to make it happen again, but it never did, which is good I suppose :)

Has there been any discussion about emulating the constant hiss on the JP-8X? Specifically when chorus is engaged I remember finding it's stereo beating to be very special and human sounding. I'm finding PG-8X a little cold without it. Would be great if next to the filter noise knob there was a hiss level.

doh, I posted too quickly. It's there in chorus options.

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

resistent wrote:Found a lil bug I think. I created a 16th bass seq (mono 2, mono trigger set to re-trigger) however - when I recall the project the mono trigger switch itself is still set to re-trigger but it does not re-trigger :-) I have to switch the mono trigger switch forth and back to reactivate the mono re-trigger. Ableton Live 9.6 64-bit Windows here.
]
I will have a look into that.

Also I get strange crackles when (mouse) moving the fader, knobs and switches in PG-8X when Ableton Push focuses PG-8X (Ableton Live midi blue-hand) when the PG-8X is not on focus everything is fine.When I use Push to control PG-8X everything went smooth too. I've never experienced such behavior within Live nevertheless I contacted the Live support maybe some weird mid feedback bug in Live or Push but maybe also a possible bug in PG-8X but never occurred with the previous versions. :? When you need more info tell me. :tu:[/quote]

Does that depend on whether SEND SYSEX is enabled in the MIDI panel?

Cheers,
Martin

I'm getting hanging notes here too (REAPER 5.20 x64)

-> enable "Don't send note off-s or pitch reset ..." (Preferences/Plugins/VST)
-> insert PG-8X on a track + MIDI item with a long note
-> arm track
-> playback
-> stop before note end

Result: note hangs and PG-8X also doesn't respond to manual "Send all notes off" action (F12 by default I think)

I can even get the note to hang here without the track being armed. But this needs several attempts (start+stop playback several times). At one point the note will hang too.

Other VSTi don't suffer from this problem here.
Last edited by Dandruff on Thu May 19, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Dandruff wrote:I'm getting hanging notes here too (REAPER 5.20 x64)

-> enable "Don't send note off-s or pitch reset ..." (Preferences/Plugins/VST)
-> insert PG-8X on a track + MIDI item with a long note
-> arm track
-> playback

Result: note hangs and PG-8X also doesn't respond to manual "Send all notes off" action (F12 by default I think)

I can even get the note to hang here without the track being armed. But this needs several attempts (start+stop playback several times). At one point the note will hang too.

Other VSTi don't suffer from this problem here.
Does that happen in all key assignment modes (Poly, Poly2, Unison, etc.)?
Could you send me a reaper project, which demonstrates the problem?

Thanks,
Martin

martin_l wrote:Does that happen in all key assignment modes (Poly, Poly2, Unison, etc.)?
Yes, happens with all voice modes.

Project + screencap + REAPER.ini:

Dandruff wrote:
martin_l wrote:Does that happen in all key assignment modes (Poly, Poly2, Unison, etc.)?
Yes, happens with all voice modes.

Project + screencap + REAPER.ini:
Thanks, I will have a look.

martin_l wrote:Thanks, I will have a look.
I forgot to mention the last step to reproduce: "stop before note end".

I guess this has to do something with the "buffer flushing" stuff because REAPER doesn't send a note-off in this case (with my REAPER settings). But other synths stop fine here (even without that note-off).

Return to “Instruments”