Best Piano - PIANOTEQ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pianoteq Studio Bundle

nichttuntun wrote:Hi. I am using Ivory II. Can anyone say something about the differences here? I find the only real good sounding one is the Steinway model D German. Thank you.
One is based in samples, while the other is based on physical modeling. Considering all the subtleties you can have in a real piano, no sample library will ever do justice to all of them, while in a physical model, if well done (and Pianoteq is now at version 6, with many years of development and perfecting the models) can respond much better to all those subtleties (considering you care, of course - many just want a particular "sound", and are not worried about all these).
Fernando (FMR)

mcbpete wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:Hi. I am using Ivory II. Can anyone say something about the differences here
Over 75gb less install space though infinitely more versatile/configurable for one :D
Yes that's obvious. :wink:

What's great about Ivory II is the shimmer resonance sound while playing extensive chords with sustain pedal. Sounds great.

But I haven't heard that in a Pianoteq demo. Found no material with sustained chords that simply fade out to compare that.

mcbpete wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:Hi. I am using Ivory II. Can anyone say something about the differences here
Over 75gb less install space though infinitely more versatile/configurable for one :D

What's great about Ivory II is the shimmer resonance sound while playing extensive chords with sustain pedal. Sounds great.

But I haven't heard that in a Pianoteq demo. Found no material with sustained chords that simply fade out to compare that.

fmr wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:Hi. I am using Ivory II. Can anyone say something about the differences here? I find the only real good sounding one is the Steinway model D German. Thank you.
One is based in samples, while the other is based on physical modeling. Considering all the subtleties you can have in a real piano, no sample library will ever do justice to all of them, while in a physical model, if well done (and Pianoteq is now at version 6, with many years of development and perfecting the models) can respond much better to all those subtleties (considering you care, of course - many just want a particular "sound", and are not worried about all these).
Okay. I do know the technical differences and I am well informed about Pianoteq. But I am missing a comparison in the sympathic resonance and the shimmer resonance of the sound while playing sustained and fading out big chords. I think IvoryII is very good here and the sympathic resonance is modelled too at IvoryII in addition to the samples.

The end of a track I did last year ends with a fading out chord if that is of some use - https://caretakertribute.bandcamp.com/t ... ch-the-sky

I thought there was a 'sympathic resonance' example on the Pianoteq site but I couldn't seem to find it...

mcbpete wrote:The end of a track I did last year ends with a fading out chord if that is of some use - https://caretakertribute.bandcamp.com/t ... ch-the-sky

I thought there was a 'sympathic resonance' example on the Pianoteq site but I couldn't seem to find it...
Thank you. A nice piece of music. I liked listening to it. The piano Pianoteq instrument sounds good in context but maybe it is a bit artificially too? Hard to tell :)

That might just be my untrained playing technique, maybe a demo from someone with better skills than I:

https://www.pianoteq.com/audio/steingra ... ogwall.mp3

I'm excited to read your feedback on this new instrument for Pianoteq, as well as linking to the demo above. :)

Sympathetic resonance demo available here:
https://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq6#pane_sound
Niclas Fogwall
Sales & support
Pianoteq
www.pianoteq.com

@pianoteq ,
When you have sale for the stage?

+1
Please have an upgrade path sale

Does anyone here have opinions about Bechestein Digital?

Amram & simmo75;

Try contacting them through support.
I did after I bought Stage 5 and they were extremely accommodating.

That new Steingraeber is Pianoteq’s best one yet. Simply breathtaking.

nichttuntun wrote:
mcbpete wrote:

I think what you say it's obvious isn't that much obvious to you. Being a physically modeled piano, Piantoeq is NOT limited to any kind of piano sound. Therefore, even the implemented models have several presets that greatly expand the "sound" of that modeled piano, in many aspects, making it suitable for many different uses.

And if you have the Standard or the Pro version, you can even tweak those presets to your choice. Since it isn't sample based, you are not limited to that sampled sounds, you can go pretty much anywhere you want. I don't know what kind of "Pianoteq demo" you heard, but I can sure you that Pianoteq can sound in many, many different ways.

That said, your mention of a "shimmer resonance sound while playing extensive chords with sustain pedal" is not really helping. Maybe you could post an example of what exactly do you mean by that?

I have an example I usually use to demo pianos, which is the Rachmaninoff Prelude in C sharp Minor Op. 3 No. 2. Don't know if that is suitable to what you look for, but I can post some examples recorded using Pianoteq several models. It has plenty of chords with sustained pedal.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
nichttuntun wrote:
mcbpete wrote:

I think what you say it's obvious isn't that much obvious to you. Being a physically modeled piano, Piantoeq is NOT limited to any kind of piano sound. Therefore, even the implemented models have several presets that greatly expand the "sound" of that modeled piano, in many aspects, making it suitable for many different uses.

And if you have the Standard or the Pro version, you can even tweak those presets to your choice. Since it isn't sample based, you are not limited to that sampled sounds, you can go pretty much anywhere you want. I don't know what kind of "Pianoteq demo" you heard, but I can sure you that Pianoteq can sound in many, many different ways.

That said, your mention of a "shimmer resonance sound while playing extensive chords with sustain pedal" is not really helping. Maybe you could post an example of what exactly do you mean by that?

I have an example I usually use to demo pianos, which is the Rachmaninoff Prelude in C sharp Minor Op. 3 No. 2. Don't know if that is suitable to what you look for, but I can post some examples recorded using Pianoteq several models. It has plenty of chords with sustained pedal.
Hi. Yes everything about the technical differences is absolutely clear to me and was before. I have other physical modelled instruments already. I just refered to the sound itself and their differences. In IvoryII you can tweak the resonance and you can chosse how loud/ long the resulting "shimmering" (metallic sounding ringing of the strings) effect resonates till it fades out. It has softsamples that means you can play with the softpedal too. The Sympathetic Resonance (interaction) is great because they don´t have samples, they emulated that with an build in modeled engine. For instance you press permanently down C and on the upper G, the octave and so on (Overtone-Series) you hear the Sympathetic resonance. Sounds really good and makes everything realistic. Plus you have absolutely no building up noise floor. The pedal noise (important part of a pianos sound) sounds great of its own. They sampled a key-release sound and the key-sound itself is convincing too.

The only advantage I see that Pianoteq comes along is the small installation size and the control if you are in sound design and want to transform a piano in something completely else - what is very cool indeed.

I play on a Yamaha grand at my teachers room and tried out a Steinway Grand and I must say, Synthogys IvoryII is very believable. Of course you cannot change one grand to another one :)

Everything I heard from demos concerning Pianoteq is great having in mind its modeled but its also very hard and sterile sounding and in no demo I find a convincing string resonance I really find natural sounding. Its exactly like with LOUNGE LIZARD 4. Its good on its own but away from the real thing. My friend has a Wurlitzer and a Rhodes so I can judge.

I am really unsure if changing now makes sense to me, although I like some things about Pianoteq much. But as a pure Piano emulation...maybe they need more time to make it more natural sounding.

Concerning your sample of Rachmaninoff...I already listened to all the classical demos on their homepage with all the piano-models with Sennheiser HD650.

Return to “Instruments”