Common, everyday arguing about drum machines and everything that could be considered as a DM.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lejurai wrote:
acYm wrote:similarly high cool factor: Tattoo.
What?! Could you please tell me why? :D IMO it's far from great. More like clunky. But if you convince me, I may give it another chance.
it has variable randomization for both on and off steps, as well as random pattern generation every bar. few soft sequencers that can send midi out have that. the drumsynth is terrific fun with a stepmod preassigned to every parameter, and it has multi-output. other than the pattern-grid, the whole instrument integrates very well with control surfaces, great jamming fun. I wouldn't use it as a main since it can't record, but I can't really think of a cooler companion for Nerve.

I've been migrating back & forth for the last couple of years for drums
uTonic to GURU to LIVE DrumRack to Geist back to uTonic back to DrumRack recently Geist2 . . . you get the drift

Where I'm at now - kinda doesn't matter the device that might give me a solid groove . . . but the sound of that device within what ever groove I'm trying to make. I can make a beat with any of these virtual machines. What flavor gives me the most inspiration, what setting gives me the sexiest groove ? It might be one; tomorrow - it might be a different one.

In the guitar world; I fall under the camp of "tone is in the fingers". Jeff Beck playing my Strat or playing my Parker . . . sounds like Jeff Beck - not a Strat or a Parker. I'm SO not trying to suggest my drum programming is Jeff Beck-like but that how you use the sound of the tool is more important than which tool within the context of what you might be trying to perpetrate in your production. Context is everything

Peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

i still use DR-008... love it
also love Geist 1 and 2, Tremor, Microtonic and Live drumracks

Gotta mention this oldie but goldie. Bazzism2 :tu:

acYm wrote:
Lejurai wrote:"which is the best virtual drum machine"
Nerve.
Isn't nerve more like a sample player/sequencer?

is the Linndrum, the RX5 or the MPC not a drum machine because it doesn't have a synth?

actually if I wanted I could go on to argue that none of the other DM's listed so far are actual drum machines because they don't have commit and undo for proper real-time sequencing, but that's perhaps a bit of an extreme point of view.
Last edited by acYm on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

For a long time I was focusing mainly on Extreme Drumsynth. It is still one of the most powerful ones around... it blows Microtonic out of the water with it's synthesis capabilities, for example.

Lately I've been using Heartbeat quite a bit. It really hits the sweet spot for me of the types of synth drum sounds that I like.

But truth be told, I'm just a total drum machine whore. I have nearly every virtual drum machine on the market, a bunch of hardware ones, multiple drum samplers, and I'll often synthesis my own and sample them into custom kits. I just can't seem to stop myself from playing with each new shiny toy!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

acYm wrote:is the Linndrum, the RX5 or the MPC not a drum machine because it doesn't have a synth?

actually if I wanted I could go on to argue that none of the other DM's listed so far are actual drum machines because they don't have commit and undo for proper real-time sequencing, but that's perhaps a bit of an extreme point of view.
MPC isn't a drum machine.. It's a sampler :P Generally I consider those without synthesizing as a sample players or samplers. Unless you really think that korg volca sample is a drum machine? It can load drum samples and has a sequencer.

Tbh you have a point. Drum machine without a sequencer is more like a drum synth, not a whole machine :hihi:

deastman wrote:For a long time I was focusing mainly on Extreme Drumsynth.
That looks really interesting. Shame it also seems to be abandonware.
deastman wrote:Lately I've been using Heartbeat quite a bit. It really hits the sweet spot for me of the types of synth drum sounds that I like.

But truth be told, I'm just a total drum machine whore. I have nearly every virtual drum machine on the market, a bunch of hardware ones, multiple drum samplers, and I'll often synthesis my own and sample them into custom kits. I just can't seem to stop myself from playing with each new shiny toy!
I feel you :D Though my addiction is in early stages but drum machines/drum synths have some weird magic :hyper:

Lejurai wrote:MPC isn't a drum machine.. It's a sampler :P Generally I consider those without synthesizing as a sample players or samplers. Unless you really think that korg volca sample is a drum machine? It can load drum samples and has a sequencer.

Tbh you have a point. Drum machine without a sequencer is more like a drum synth, not a whole machine :hihi:
the akai s3000 is a sampler; the MPC is a drum machine, one with a sampler in it. why wouldn't the volca sample be a drum machine? took one look at it and went "aww look at the cute little DM". the ability to record patterns, edit them, and sequence them in full real-time is what makes a DM, looks to me like that one fits the bill

acYm wrote:why wouldn't the volca sample be a drum machine?
Well.. Since it's a sample player? Look the name. Volca SAMPLE :D Elektron has real drum machines.. Jomox has real drum machines.. Vermona has real drum machines.. MFB has real drum machines.. Sample players aren't real drum machines.

ReBirth all the way baby!Yeah

It can be run on a virtual machine, ie. doesn't use ASIO-
so I dug up WinXP and roll noughties style.

I use it to set time for my MIDI guitar playing,
but it's got fine sounds-
especially with the myriad processing methods of a Reason Rebirth Machine,
and Rewiring into Orion. Camel Space on top of PCF is true funky.

It could make sense to distinguish several categories for units who can make *drum sounds* ( cos there are many)

Here a quick one :

A drum machine would have a sequencer on board. ( MPC and TR-909 are Drum Machines)

While ..

A Drum Module would be dedicated to deliver drum/percs sounds, but without a sequencer ( Procussion, Korg WaveDrum, numerous Kontakt Drum Sound libraries are drum modules, but the WaveDrum has also a drum pad, so it's a bit more than just a drum module)

Almost any synth can act as a drum module btw. Wich leads to the following :

Then the synthesis method(s) used to generate drum/perc sounds

Some drum Machines/modules use only samples ( From NI Battery to Nerve to Geist to BFD )
Some Drum Machines/modules use only analog synthesis ( From TR-808 to Vermona to Tama Techstar to Nepheton or other strict VA emulations)
Some Drum Machines/modules use Multiple Synthesis methods, including VA, FM, etc and sometimes also samples ( From Punch to Tremor to StiX )

Any synth can do *percussive sounds*

Lots of possibilities indeed.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

nix808 wrote:ReBirth all the way baby!
I'll never forgive Propellerheads that they abandoned this :(

I really wouldn't mind no additions to the code, as it is maybe finished(IMO)-
but we have compatibility issues.

Nice to meet to meet another acid head!

Maybe Props see Reason as the successor,
but it is completely different(and just won't sound like Rebirth no matter what we do)-
so that doesn't mesh with me.

Ultimately I am glad it exists more than peevish with Props,
as long as I can register my WinXP, I'll be running it

Return to “Instruments”