Splice rent to own Serum plan, what do you think?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think it's brilliant. It's easy to knock holes in something with "what if" - but this seems a surprisingly fair way to do this.

If you don't like the idea, just buy the software as normal - probably via a reseller with a discount code.

If it makes serum affordable for more people, then where's the harm? the world has a very unequal distribution of wealth - it's easy to forget that "a couple of hundred dollars" does not mean the same thing to everyone on this spinning rock.

OneOfManyPauls wrote:If it makes serum affordable for more people, then where's the harm? the world has a very unequal distribution of wealth - it's easy to forget that "a couple of hundred dollars" does not mean the same thing to everyone on this spinning rock.
My thoughts exactly :). It's an additional option, and a nice one at that.

ere2learn wrote:
How does Splice authorize my Serum access each month?

Each time your computer connects to the internet, the Splice desktop app will run an authorization check to confirm your plan is still active. You’ll be granted up to 3 days of offline access before another authorization check is required. Once you’ve paid off the plugin cost, the Splice desktop app will no longer be required and you’ll receive a lifetime license with unrestricted offline access to Serum.
So it is(!) call/response... albeit a bit "intrusive" (unnecessary background service). But it's not like other companies do this to check on updates, or link you to a custom shop or something. Would still be nice to turn it off at will though. But I'm sure, there is plenty of fire about that going around already.

OneOfManyPauls wrote:If you don't like the idea, just buy the software as normal - probably via a reseller with a discount code.
That is always an option of course. And there are companies that drastically drop prices around certain dates pretty much guaranteed, where it doesn't make ANY SENSE to buy full price (looking at you again, Plugin Alliance!).

OneOfManyPauls wrote:If it makes serum affordable for more people, then where's the harm? the world has a very unequal distribution of wealth - it's easy to forget that "a couple of hundred dollars" does not mean the same thing to everyone on this spinning rock.
As somebody that has a tight studio budget myself, I definitely supporting that thinking.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

That is always an option of course. And there are companies that drastically drop prices around certain dates pretty much guaranteed, where it doesn't make ANY SENSE to buy full price (looking at you again, Plugin Alliance!).
that's not strictly true - for some, the cost of waiting is greater than the monetary saving.

Nice to see the good words and positive comments!

One of the great things about partnering with Splice on this is that it's their client doing connections to their system. Serum has no "net code" in it directly (besides launching clicked URL's e.g. in the credits window, which is just an "open" call via the OS and not really any form of net code). So the distinction here is once Serum is paid off, it's identical to purchasing on xferrecords.com - there is no internet connection ever needed at that point (the "protection" is simple serial number).

I'm really glad to have this alternative offer for Serum. I remember being broke in college and I really wanting software, but I had nothing left at the end of every month. Hopefully people will give it a shot and "vote with their wallet", as I'm quite sure other developers will follow suit if it proves to catch on.

-Steve
Serum | Xfer Records

Whats the big deal it might help some people who are strapped for the upfront cash but want the plug in.I thinks its a great idea.Splice is also excellent. Sound wise Serum is the best and highest quality plug in on the market atm IMHO and if this helps some struggling artists get it... all good.
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

Interesting way to pay, especially if $9.99 is just the minimum (didn't see anywhere on the site that you could pay more if you want). Lets more people get the plugin quicker, without having to save nearly as much or pay credit card fees.

I guess it's not that you can pay more than $9.99 per month, but rather pay the rest of the balance at any time:

https://support.splice.com/hc/en-us/art ... own-Serum-

Being able to spread out the cost of something into manageable chunks
is one of the corner stones of business and a valuable service.
People don't see it as a problem when buying a car or a house, why should
it be any different for software?

I for one am glad to see it, kudos to Steve for his forward thinking.
Hopefully well see Nerve available in the same way before too long.

-Cheers

Well, if it works like: first month $9.99", "second month $9.99", "third month: I've finally found a job, I can pay the rest and have my lifetime license... Oh, no... sorry, I have to pay the rent. Next month, sorry. Take this $9.99 for now. See you next month" "fourth month: take the rest and thanks for the license". Everything with no interests and extra charge for the final user, well... in this case I like it.

... But the real question is: why the hell 9.99 :o :)

mhog wrote:Well, if it works like: first month $9.99", "second month $9.99", "third month: I've finally found a job, I can pay the rest and have my lifetime license... Oh, no... sorry, I have to pay the rent. Next month, sorry. Take this $9.99 for now. See you next month" "fourth month: take the rest and thanks for the license". Everything with no interests and extra charge for the final user, well... in this case I like it.

... But the real question is: why the hell 9.99 :o :)
flip it upside down

i'm telling you its Evil !!! :o :o :o
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

More interestingly would be, if VAT is applied to that value...

Let's do some math (because it's fun)!
190USD x 19% VAT for Germany, that's 36,10USD on top => so 226,10USD

9,99USD x 19% VAT for Germany, that's 1,90USD // that value times 19 months: 36,10USD
Plus the 19 months a 9,99USD => 189,81USD plus 36,10USD VAT => 225,91USD

Not counting Paypal exchange rate fees, which are usually offset by a 20-30c
(example: 9,99USD = 8,92EUR as of this moment, according to various exchange rate systems, PayPal would ask for about 9,20)

This could get really expensive real quick... :(
Guess no system is perfect after all.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

This is not for me especially if I had a bunch of plugins from different developers all taking payments out of my credit card or PayPal each month....would just get too confusing and potentially be a security issue.

As for this one plugin if I couldn't come up with $189 all at once having a new plugin would be the least of my worries. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

...can you explain me with simple word ?

If i decide to paid $9 per month , the plugin is mine when the price (189) is reached?

hivkorn wrote:...can you explain me with simple word ?

If i decide to paid $9 per month , the plugin is mine when the price (189) is reached?
Yes that is exactly how it works from my understanding and what a great way of getting to customers who don't like forking out the whole amount at once or simply can't, more like this please :)
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

Return to “Instruments”