working on a tonal chaos generator vst

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Perhaps a 3D Fractal/Chaos wavetable creator

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1555& ... gA&dpr=0.9
Already discussed?

Yes, was checking out DIN-Is-Noise today actually. I'd be interested in hearing what the fractal sounds like as an X/Y=left/right speaker setup. Jerobeam Fenderson stuff comes to mind. He sometimes has fractal-looking stuff in his X/Y-oscilloscope-music videos.

The most important thing for me is that you have chaotic interactions in the sound. I would not be satisfied with a fractal or a rotating fractal or even a morphing fractal. It would be nice, but that is all static and predictable. In this scenario there's no emergent behaviors, no reactivity. So you can't get growls or harmonic-locking effects.

The chaos generator is not all about creating the next great lead or bass (it does do that well), but it can also be about algorithmically simulating something real like a brass instrument (relies on harmonic-locking effect) or vocal-tract (bird, cat, goat). Otherwise you have to hard-code (or patch a synth) with some behavior which will either be difficult/time-consuming or simply not sound that good. I think a simple chaos algorithm can out-perform some complex and resource-intensive approaches.

TL;DR: Just trying to think of how you could unite fractal and chaos. I had an idea yesterday that involes drawing, like ms-paint, a pre-defined path for an X/Y/left/right oscillator, then you create gravity wells which cause that path to morph chaotically. So, now just draw a fractal and you have a chaotic fractal...maybe... Or fractalize the end result of a simple path and gravity wells.

Architeuthis ,

All that you say is interesting!
I wish you the best.
I will follow your progress.

Kalamata Kid wrote:Architeuthis ,

All that you say is interesting!
I wish you the best.
I will follow your progress.
+1!
It sounds great, and from the 'mission statements' its headed in the right direction. :tu:
Im excited to see what this turns into.
ImageImageImageImage

Note: This interface is just for testing purposes and in no way reflects the awesomeness of the GUI that is in my mind.

Hey guys, so just got the new interface. It's s***t ton more usable, but still a lot of features need to be implemented. I'd say the chaos generator is now 10% complete. Also, I stumbled upon some interesting settings.

Chaos generator could potentially act as a fully-featured analog-emulation filter.
  • Imagine using the chaos generator as a filter. All the controls you see would be like the guts of the filter, you could create all kinds of styles of analog filters with unique resonance characteristics.
  • Playing with the "resonance" control:
    chaos_self_oscillating.mp3
  • Sending a low frequency square into the chaos generator to "ping" it. I'm currently using a hard-sync-like feature to ping the chaos generator:
    chaos_pinging_like_a_filter.ogg
  • This is not the correct way to do this and sounds a bit ugly. With further study I believe my programmer and I can come up with something more correct and better sounding
I've been stumbling upon some acoustic-like sounds with the chaos generator
  • Here's a snippet of me using my mouse to control the "air pressure", it's kinda difficult at the moment! Also, I don't yet have control over how parameters are adjusted across the keyboard.
    ethnic_chaos_flute.mp3
  • Edit: Chaos generator does not yet have legato controls so the note transitions are not great. However, I have some cool note transition controls in mind such as mimicking guitar frets and how when you do a pitch slide you hit every fret along the way. Also, emulate how a flute works where the transitions between notes have a tiny pitch bend as you take your finger off one hole and put it on the next.
  • Edit2: Hmm, maybe implementing a noise source could help create a breathiness.
Edit3: Another disclaimer!: I'm not trying to add all these features because I think I can recreate an acoustic instrument perfectly with the chaos generator. I just like it when, for just a moment, you wonder if you're hearing a synthy-sounding acoustic instrument or an acoustic-sounding synth. I want to provide many features not typically found in synthesizers to make it easy for a user to get that effect
Last edited by Architeuthis on Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great to see that you are making progress.

Architeuthis wrote: Image
Looks very much like it's done by rs-met (Robin Schmidt), am I right?
Anyway, an interesting project :tu:

You are correct. He is the master programmer behind the project translating my ideas into code, and also bringing some innovation of his own. The interface you see is from his C++ library, makes it easy to throw a useful UI together.

The chaos generator is getting more audio input features. It can now be used as an analog filter emulation plugin! Check it out: http://www.elanhickler.com/transfer/Cha ... y_demo.ogg

Now it is a bit buzzy and glitchy (well some of the glitchyness is natural and intended, you can make it less glitchy with the right settings). The buzzyness is still something that needs to be dealt with. It's a problem with part of the plugin that interprets that input signal aperiodically. But it's a start!

So far I've had the chaos generator sound like Doepfer A-106-1, MS-20, a clean resonator, slightly aggressive/chirpy resonance (maybe like TB-303?)... I hope I am correct when I say this is the tip of the iceberg. Further development is needed!

Awesome stuff, but it's a bit sad that the audio output just sounded like a triangle wave :(

This is the problem I tend to find with fractal waveform generators. Iteration just tends to sound like the same tone being layered in octaves. Take the "blancmanche function":

I was really curious to find out how it sounded, so I made it in Absynth's fractal wave generator, only to feel stupid for not being able to predict that obviously it sounds like a bunch of stacked parabola waves. Even with iteration and phase offsets, peturbation etc animated, you get mostly very simple sounds which could be produced by other means.

Applying fractals to the spectral domain, and to modulation and other aspects of the sound, might be more interesting.

p.s. ChaosFly is sounding and looking great :hyper:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:
Awesome stuff, but it's a bit sad that the audio output just sounded like a triangle wave :(

This is the problem I tend to find with fractal waveform generators. Iteration just tends to sound like the same tone being layered in octaves. Take the "blancmanche function":

I was really curious to find out how it sounded, so I made it in Absynth's fractal wave generator, only to feel stupid for not being able to predict that obviously it sounds like a bunch of stacked parabola waves. Even with iteration and phase offsets, peturbation etc animated, you get mostly very simple sounds which could be produced by other means.

Applying fractals to the spectral domain, and to modulation and other aspects of the sound, might be more interesting.

p.s. ChaosFly is sounding and looking great :hyper:
Yes I agree, All that work and the sound is so basic.
Perhaps it is just the start of better things to come?

"Absynth's fractal wave generator"
I really like Absynth but had not devoted much time to check out the fine features.
Now I have the motivation to a least check out the fractal wave generator!

Chaos Brass example
http://www.elanhickler.com/transfer/Cha ... _brass.mp3
Stumbled upon a very brassy waveform and a kind of tubby behavior of the oscillator interaction. This is just a start, I am seeing a few ways I could improve the sound further.

alright, taking a break from the weird pseudo-acoustic sounds

Growly analog filter simulation
http://www.elanhickler.com/transfer/Cha ... filter.mp3
I'm excited; I could potentially release a chaos generator FX plugin and you would be able to get a huge variety of sounds like this from clean/warm to agressive/sharp, gnarly, chaotic, basically, any filter you've heard and beyond. Not promising it will sound exactly like your favorite filter, but I'm... promising... I guess... maybe... that you'll find another favorite by exploring the chaos generator? :ud:

One cool thing this particular patch is that it exhibits a weird gurgle, you hear it at around 2s (the top of the first sweep), it happens at a certain frequency of the input versus the frequency of the chaos generator. I could adjust the parameters to remove this effect, but I think it's an interesting quirk; also an example of an emergent behavior.

Both sound examples are sounding good and interesting! Definitely leave in the emergant behaviour - even better, let us sculpt or customize it if possible!
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Return to “Instruments”