Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
AnX
KVRAF

2175 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Postby AnX; Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:30 am Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

db3 wrote:
AnX wrote:
db3 wrote:
AnX wrote: How would a piano vst sound 'better' than an actual piano?

Not all pianos are created equal.

Your point being?

Some of the world's best pianos, sampled with some of the world' best mics, using some of the world's best studio equipment, may sound somewhat better in your project than if you had any old piano to hand. :D

Way off the mark.....

If i have a "insert your piano here" piano, and a vst of said piano, how exactly is the vst going to sound "better" ?
AnX
KVRAF

Postby AnX; Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:38 am Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Richard_Synapse wrote:
AnX wrote:How would a piano vst sound 'better' than an actual piano?

I'm not saying it does, this was hypothetical. There is cases where artificial is better than real though, for instance good artificial reverbs work much better with certain source material than any real room (+speakers & mics) ever would.

Richard

Not better, different.

If i recorded a drumkit in a gym hall, then recordered it dry in a studio with an artificial reverb modelled on that gym, how would it sound better?

I would record in the gym hall because i wanted that sound.

A minimoog vst is never going to sound "better" than the hardware. It may, one day, sound identical, but never better. It may have advantages that allow it sound different, but not "better".

:wink:
Dasheesh
KVRAF

1943 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Postby Dasheesh; Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:51 am Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

digital is not the word you guys are looking for, artificial is the word you are looking for. Digital sounds are superb when it produces a musical sound done to a high degree. Some quick thoughts on this.

are you looking for a musical instrument that you love to play, or are you looking for software your favorite single 20 something marketing genius told you to buy? People used to buy instruments because they had a genuine appreciation for the instrument. Digital done to a high degree, that sounds musical, and is fun to play is hard to find. It's rare. It takes someone that knows what musical sounds like.
JunSev
KVRist

75 posts since 13 Sep, 2017

Postby JunSev; Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:54 am Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

the best way I think to define all this is that the vst sounds very good and original with its own character, I mean the fact that it doesn't sounds 100% like the hardware doesn't mean is bad or inferior in any aspects.

I have to say this because some people defend religiously the superiority of hardware over software, is a nonsense honestly.

if we think about, the softwares has been a great opportunity to all producers, with the pass of the times has improved for better.
Dasheesh
KVRAF

1943 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Postby Dasheesh; Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:02 am Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

JunSev wrote:the best way I think to define all this is that the vst sounds very good and original with its own character, I mean the fact that it doesn't sounds 100% like the hardware doesn't mean is bad or inferior in any aspects.

I have to say this because some people defend religiously the superiority of hardware over software, is a nonsense honestly.

if we think about, the softwares has been a great opportunity to all producers, with the pass of the times has improved for better.

You said tha better then I did. Software is getting good. There are software instruments done right. They are hard to find, no doubt. But, 90% of people out there wouldn’t be able to tell you when something is done right anymore anyway. They do what they are told. It’s all they know.
AnX
KVRAF

Postby AnX; Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:06 am Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

I use both, and lots of them. Each has its place.
brok landers
KVRAF

6069 posts since 25 Sep, 2003, from right here, as you can see ...

Postby brok landers; Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:53 pm Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

AnX wrote:
Richard_Synapse wrote:I think hardware is probably bought today for different reasons, like using the instrument for performances, or when it comes to vintage-analog synths, as collector's items.

If someone wants to buy a real piano they'll do that, even if there are plugins sounding as good or better.

Richard

How would a piano vst sound 'better' than an actual piano?

quite possible.as soon as it is mi'ced, that is. it so much depends on the piano itself, its condition, the temerature and the mic'ing, that f.e. pianotec can give you far more better results than a real piano.
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man
DuX
KVRAF

3509 posts since 14 Mar, 2002, from Underworld

Postby DuX; Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:48 pm Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Most of it, generally, is about performance. Whatever you use. People used a couple of MB sampled pianos on Roland keyboards, for example. Still sounds great. People are too obsessed with "moar" and less with "good" these days. Make some really good tunes, mate, everything else is just crap.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Teksonik
KVRAF

11751 posts since 15 Sep, 2001, from Las Vegas,USA

Postby Teksonik; Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:42 pm Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Yep the Unison on a MiniMoog is far better than that found on The Legend. The 4 note polyphony of the hardware MiniMoog is impressive as well. :wink:

The question shouldn't be can the software emulate the hardware but can the hardware emulate the software......of course not.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
AnX
KVRAF

Postby AnX; Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:33 pm Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Teksonik wrote:Yep the Unison on a MiniMoog is far better than that found on The Legend. The 4 note polyphony of the hardware MiniMoog is impressive as well. :wink:

The question shouldn't be can the software emulate the hardware but can the hardware emulate the software......of course not.

As the MM has none of those, "better" is not relevant.

Noise hum and tuning drift are an absolute pain in the arse, but devs seem to think its an important part of the sound. Ask anyone who used/uses old hardware and they will tell you these things are not "better".

Works both ways. :wink:
Teksonik
KVRAF

11751 posts since 15 Sep, 2001, from Las Vegas,USA

Postby Teksonik; Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:12 pm Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

AnX wrote:As the MM has none of those, "better" is not relevant.

It's just as relevant as to whether or not The Legend sounds like the MiniMoog. But in this case it doesn't work both ways....the MiniMoog will never sound like the The Legend. The MM is an evolutionary dead end as are all the hardware analogs. The Legend is the next step in evolution. Ever forward..... :arrow:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
AnX
KVRAF

Postby AnX; Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:26 am Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Teksonik wrote:
AnX wrote:As the MM has none of those, "better" is not relevant.

It's just as relevant as to whether or not The Legend sounds like the MiniMoog.

No, it isnt. Its nothing to do with emulating the sound of a MM.
kmonkey
KVRAF

3748 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Postby kmonkey; Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:28 am Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

AnX wrote:

Man i by accident pressed "Display this post" and i soon realized why you are on my ignore list.

Your bickering in all threads with most of the people is so boring. Why don't you just stop trolling? Go away and miss your points in other forum please? Just for a day or two?

Allow us to enjoy Viper release by not reading about your piano and moog missed points..
chk071
KVRAF

13840 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:37 am Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

AnX wrote:
Teksonik wrote:Yep the Unison on a MiniMoog is far better than that found on The Legend. The 4 note polyphony of the hardware MiniMoog is impressive as well. :wink:

As the MM has none of those, "better" is not relevant.

Noise hum and tuning drift are an absolute pain in the arse, but devs seem to think its an important part of the sound. Ask anyone who used/uses old hardware and they will tell you these things are not "better".

On the other hand, most people who are fond of analog synths and their sound, will tell you these are exactly the things which makes a synthesizer sound "musical", and not sterile. Maybe not noise hum so much, but, oscillator drift for sure. And, i tend to agree. The synthesizers which model have, by default, a more pleasant tone to them, because they vary ever so slightly. Or the ones which model a tad of saturation in the filter, or the signal path. Take a sine wave, or a sawtooth wave, which doesn't drift, and it just sounds plain boring. Add a bit of drift, and it already can sound interesting, using only one oscillator. So, IMO, developers should model as much as possible from these things, without focusing on the things which aren't so pleasant, or which don't contribute much to the character. Noise, for example, is something which doesn't need to be modelled IMO, because you can ALWAYS add that with a noise generator. But, if you have it by default, you can't just switch it off, if you don't need or want it.
Good synths don't have a sweet spot. They ARE the sweet spot.
AnX
KVRAF

Postby AnX; Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:38 am Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

kmonkey wrote:
AnX wrote:

Man i by accident pressed "Display this post" and i soon realized why you are on my ignore list.

Your bickering in all threads with most of the people is so boring. Why don't you just stop trolling? Go away and miss your points in other forum please? Just for a day or two?

Allow us to enjoy Viper release by not reading about your piano and moog missed points..

1. This isnt the viper thread
2. If im on your ignore list, ignore me.

Bye :tu:
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments