Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

AnX wrote:
v1o wrote: Many modern analogue synths are criticised for sounding too digital because they are too accurate and don’t have enough slop.
By who? Not musicians, thats for sure.
I think those who criticize modern synths for being "too accurate" never knew what is a really "inaccurate" synth. The moment they experience how "good" it was in the "old days", I'm sure they would change their opinion. :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

It's more likely that people's expectations have changed. They want some of the quirks of the slop without any of the hassle, like outright tuning or voice instability. So some slight tuning drift is ok, or even some slight variation in the voices in terms of filters and envelopes can add to the sound in a generally pleasing way. But no one wants oscillators that will lose tuning as the unit heats up or due to humidity. And no one likes having to get the damn things serviced regularly.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:It's more likely that people's expectations have changed. They want some of the quirks of the slop without any of the hassle, like outright tuning or voice instability. So some slight tuning drift is ok, or even some slight variation in the voices in terms of filters and envelopes can add to the sound in a generally pleasing way. But no one wants oscillators that will lose tuning as the unit heats up or due to humidity. And no one likes having to get the damn things serviced regularly.
I think the need for service is the biggest issue of old hardware by far. Tuning problems can usually be fixed in a heartbeat by turning a single knob, but a broken voice is not easily repaired. Furthermore keys, switches and pots usually cause problems after some time, as well as old batteries for certain units.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Makes me wonder, would Synapse Audio buy me a new computer if the battery in Legend leaked and destroyed my motherboard? 8)

Richard_Synapse wrote:I think the need for service is the biggest issue of old hardware by far. Tuning problems can usually be fixed in a heartbeat by turning a single knob, but a broken voice is not easily repaired. Furthermore keys, switches and pots usually cause problems after some time, as well as old batteries for certain units.

Richard
Agreed. Synthesizers and transister organs in particular are the worst offenders in my experience. A 40 year old Wurlitzer EP may run and sound great with minimal maintenance costs, even less so on a passive Rhodes. Electric guitars? Very low cost of ownership. Amps? More costly, but still not unreasonable. Vintage analog synths (and at least Farfisa organs), in particular, just seem horrible in terms of reliability, maintenance, and costs.

I consider The Legend and RePro to be museum quality emulations in how well they preserve the sound and feel of the originals, without all the horrible costs. For that I'm very appreciative. Especially now that I've got a controller (System-8) that allows for hands on programming with minimal mouse clicks. It makes a big difference.

Richard_Synapse wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:It's more likely that people's expectations have changed. They want some of the quirks of the slop without any of the hassle, like outright tuning or voice instability. So some slight tuning drift is ok, or even some slight variation in the voices in terms of filters and envelopes can add to the sound in a generally pleasing way. But no one wants oscillators that will lose tuning as the unit heats up or due to humidity. And no one likes having to get the damn things serviced regularly.
I think the need for service is the biggest issue of old hardware by far. Tuning problems can usually be fixed in a heartbeat by turning a single knob, but a broken voice is not easily repaired. Furthermore keys, switches and pots usually cause problems after some time, as well as old batteries for certain units.

Richard
And what about chips failing (Roland JX-3P, Juno-106, etc.)? And the displays, floppy disk drivers, etc.? Synthesizers have lots of components that age badly.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:And what about chips failing (Roland JX-3P, Juno-106, etc.)? And the displays, floppy disk drivers, etc.? Synthesizers have lots of components that age badly.
Don't get me started on floppy drives :hihi: I bought a DSM-1 with a floppy drive once, will never do it again. First of all disks that are like 30 years old obviously won't work anymore, but even if you write new disks this seems to fail like half the time for some reason (maybe because the new disks are actually NOS and thus not that reliable, dunno). If I ever get something with a floppy drive again it would have to be with a Gotek drive or similar.

Richard

Richard_Synapse wrote: Don't get me started on floppy drives :hihi: I bought a DSM-1 with a floppy drive once, will never do it again. First of all disks that are like 30 years old obviously won't work anymore, but even if you write new disks this seems to fail like half the time for some reason (maybe because the new disks are actually NOS and thus not that reliable, dunno). If I ever get something with a floppy drive again it would have to be with a Gotek drive or similar.

Richard
The floppy drive on my SY99 died. Fortunately, I had backed up all the floppies into SoundDiver, but communications aren't reliable with Windows, since my amt8s had to be put aside for lack of drivers :-(

Fortunately, I still have my Power Mac G5 Quad with SoundDiver, and with it, everything works like a charm. Now, every time I want to change the internal memory of my SY99, I have to boot my Power Mac, connect the amt8, connect MIDI cables to and from the SY99, launch SoundDiver and then perform the transfer.

Of course, my floppies will not fail anymore :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

Yeah some time ago I picked up a stoneage PC for such purposes as well. Even has a floppy drive :lol:

Richard

If I have a license for VSTi, is the RE license for Reason is free? (I know it is true for the other round) :)

EnGee wrote:If I have a license for VSTi, is the RE license for Reason is free? (I know it is true for the other round) :)
Yes and your VSTi becomes NFR.

thejonsolo wrote:
EnGee wrote:If I have a license for VSTi, is the RE license for Reason is free? (I know it is true for the other round) :)
Yes and your VSTi becomes NFR.
Great! Thank you :)

Richard_Synapse wrote:Yeah some time ago I picked up a stoneage PC for such purposes as well. Even has a floppy drive :lol:

Richard
Ages ago i bought an external Floppy drive with an USB connection (USB powered) but did not use it for a very long time. Currently i do not have synths with a floppy drive here.

Not sure if it is the same model but the USB floppy drive still seems to be available:
http://www.freecom.de/product/usb-flopp ... ive-22767/
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:Ages ago i bought an external Floppy drive with an USB connection (USB powered) but did not use it for a very long time. Currently i do not have synths with a floppy drive here.

Not sure if it is the same model but the USB floppy drive still seems to be available:
http://www.freecom.de/product/usb-flopp ... ive-22767/
Yes you can still get USB floppy drives, but my understanding is that writing arbitrary raw data does not work with them, or at least not with the available tools (some of which date back to Win 95/98/ME/XP). So if you try to write e.g. Korg or Ensoniq disks which are proprietary, non-PC formats, you may be out of luck with USB floppy drives.

Richard

v1o wrote:
fmr wrote:
AnX wrote: Well, im of an age where i was brought up on these. Let me tell you, playing live with some stuff that drifted alot, was no fun at all. I prefer to be in tune (sterile...) than sound like im playing the wrong notes :wink:
Me too. I think that only those that never used analog synths think that was what makes them sound "analog". It isn't, and it doesn't. It makes them sound bad (awfully bad). Fortunately, my MKS-80 (which sometimes drifts really bad) has a button that says AUTO TUNE :hihi:

A very slight amount of "drifting" may be desirable, but you easily achieve the same effect by slightly detune one oscillagtor against the other.
Many modern analogue synths are criticised for sounding too digital because they are too accurate and don’t have enough slop.
Personally, I like a little drift.
The drift can be turned off if you choose.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Return to “Instruments”