Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
 
6257 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:26 am Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Richard_Synapse wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:It's more likely that people's expectations have changed. They want some of the quirks of the slop without any of the hassle, like outright tuning or voice instability. So some slight tuning drift is ok, or even some slight variation in the voices in terms of filters and envelopes can add to the sound in a generally pleasing way. But no one wants oscillators that will lose tuning as the unit heats up or due to humidity. And no one likes having to get the damn things serviced regularly.


I think the need for service is the biggest issue of old hardware by far. Tuning problems can usually be fixed in a heartbeat by turning a single knob, but a broken voice is not easily repaired. Furthermore keys, switches and pots usually cause problems after some time, as well as old batteries for certain units.

Richard

And what about chips failing (Roland JX-3P, Juno-106, etc.)? And the displays, floppy disk drivers, etc.? Synthesizers have lots of components that age badly.
Fernando (FMR)
User avatar
Richard_Synapse
KVRian
 
760 posts since 19 Dec, 2010

Postby Richard_Synapse; Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:12 am Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

fmr wrote:And what about chips failing (Roland JX-3P, Juno-106, etc.)? And the displays, floppy disk drivers, etc.? Synthesizers have lots of components that age badly.


Don't get me started on floppy drives :hihi: I bought a DSM-1 with a floppy drive once, will never do it again. First of all disks that are like 30 years old obviously won't work anymore, but even if you write new disks this seems to fail like half the time for some reason (maybe because the new disks are actually NOS and thus not that reliable, dunno). If I ever get something with a floppy drive again it would have to be with a Gotek drive or similar.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com
User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
 
6257 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:32 am Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Richard_Synapse wrote: Don't get me started on floppy drives :hihi: I bought a DSM-1 with a floppy drive once, will never do it again. First of all disks that are like 30 years old obviously won't work anymore, but even if you write new disks this seems to fail like half the time for some reason (maybe because the new disks are actually NOS and thus not that reliable, dunno). If I ever get something with a floppy drive again it would have to be with a Gotek drive or similar.

Richard

The floppy drive on my SY99 died. Fortunately, I had backed up all the floppies into SoundDiver, but communications aren't reliable with Windows, since my amt8s had to be put aside for lack of drivers :-(

Fortunately, I still have my Power Mac G5 Quad with SoundDiver, and with it, everything works like a charm. Now, every time I want to change the internal memory of my SY99, I have to boot my Power Mac, connect the amt8, connect MIDI cables to and from the SY99, launch SoundDiver and then perform the transfer.

Of course, my floppies will not fail anymore :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)
User avatar
Richard_Synapse
KVRian
 
760 posts since 19 Dec, 2010

Postby Richard_Synapse; Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:31 am Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Yeah some time ago I picked up a stoneage PC for such purposes as well. Even has a floppy drive :lol:

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com
User avatar
EnGee
KVRAF
 
3944 posts since 7 Oct, 2005, from Auckland

Postby EnGee; Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:46 pm Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

If I have a license for VSTi, is the RE license for Reason is free? (I know it is true for the other round) :)
User avatar
thejonsolo
KVRAF
 
1670 posts since 13 Apr, 2008, from Charleston, SC

Postby thejonsolo; Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:39 pm Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

EnGee wrote:If I have a license for VSTi, is the RE license for Reason is free? (I know it is true for the other round) :)


Yes and your VSTi becomes NFR.
User avatar
EnGee
KVRAF
 
3944 posts since 7 Oct, 2005, from Auckland

Postby EnGee; Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:58 pm Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

thejonsolo wrote:
EnGee wrote:If I have a license for VSTi, is the RE license for Reason is free? (I know it is true for the other round) :)


Yes and your VSTi becomes NFR.

Great! Thank you :)
User avatar
Ingonator
KVRAF
 
11362 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:03 am Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Richard_Synapse wrote:Yeah some time ago I picked up a stoneage PC for such purposes as well. Even has a floppy drive :lol:

Richard


Ages ago i bought an external Floppy drive with an USB connection (USB powered) but did not use it for a very long time. Currently i do not have synths with a floppy drive here.

Not sure if it is the same model but the USB floppy drive still seems to be available:
http://www.freecom.de/product/usb-flopp ... ive-22767/
Ingo Weidner - Sound Design
HW: Blofeld, Pulse 2, UltraNova, Bass Station 2
SW: PPG 3.V, Largo, Nave, Icarus, Avenger, Serum, Legend, Saurus 2, Diva, Komplete 10, many more
i5-3350P / Win 10 x64 / Live 9 / Cubase Pro 9 / Studio One 3 / Bitwig 2
User avatar
Richard_Synapse
KVRian
 
760 posts since 19 Dec, 2010

Postby Richard_Synapse; Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:12 pm Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

Ingonator wrote:Ages ago i bought an external Floppy drive with an USB connection (USB powered) but did not use it for a very long time. Currently i do not have synths with a floppy drive here.

Not sure if it is the same model but the USB floppy drive still seems to be available:
http://www.freecom.de/product/usb-flopp ... ive-22767/


Yes you can still get USB floppy drives, but my understanding is that writing arbitrary raw data does not work with them, or at least not with the available tools (some of which date back to Win 95/98/ME/XP). So if you try to write e.g. Korg or Ensoniq disks which are proprietary, non-PC formats, you may be out of luck with USB floppy drives.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com
Sparky77
KVRian
 
717 posts since 29 Sep, 2006

Postby Sparky77; Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:36 pm Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

v1o wrote:
fmr wrote:
AnX wrote: Well, im of an age where i was brought up on these. Let me tell you, playing live with some stuff that drifted alot, was no fun at all. I prefer to be in tune (sterile...) than sound like im playing the wrong notes :wink:

Me too. I think that only those that never used analog synths think that was what makes them sound "analog". It isn't, and it doesn't. It makes them sound bad (awfully bad). Fortunately, my MKS-80 (which sometimes drifts really bad) has a button that says AUTO TUNE :hihi:

A very slight amount of "drifting" may be desirable, but you easily achieve the same effect by slightly detune one oscillagtor against the other.

Many modern analogue synths are criticised for sounding too digital because they are too accurate and don’t have enough slop.


Personally, I like a little drift.
The drift can be turned off if you choose.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley
User avatar
Richard_Synapse
KVRian
 
760 posts since 19 Dec, 2010

Postby Richard_Synapse; Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:15 am Re: Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

fmr wrote:Me too. I think that only those that never used analog synths think that was what makes them sound "analog". It isn't, and it doesn't. It makes them sound bad (awfully bad). Fortunately, my MKS-80 (which sometimes drifts really bad) has a button that says AUTO TUNE :hihi:


The Oberheim Matrix 6 has it too, and a couple other poly synths, it's really useful. Since this tunes all oscillators on all voices, the idea is ihmo somewhat different though, i.e. to make all voices sound more alike. If you set an analog poly synth to round-robin mode and repeatedly press the exact same key, it can sound somewhat weird if the voices differ too much.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments