Viper|1.2.2 update with bugfixes and new skin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Viper

adamtrance wrote:
stamp wrote:Any plans on adding recursive modulation for envelopes like there is in the Virus?
Yes I am thinking about it for the future, but then Viper will use slightly more cpu unfortunately.
Cool!

Maybe you cuold add a switch to turn recursive modulation on/off for users that have problems with cpu, or simply use the current algorithm if the envelope stages aren't modulated.

Cheers!

vegaron wrote:Hi,

I'm demoing version 1.0.2 (64 bit) on Cubase 8.5.30 (64 bit) (Win7) and have a strange problem...

I can
- open an empty project and browse through the presets
- let Cubase play notes I set manually in parts I add to the Viper-track

but I can not
- add a new Viper-track to my existing project and copy any of the existing parts to the Viper-track (to see how they sound with Viper)
- import one single track from the existing project into an empty project with one Viper-track and move the imported parts to the Viper-track

In both cases Cubase crashes and I do not understand why. There are no information in these parts except notes. No MIDI CCs, no automation, nothing.

This problem did not occur when I demoed the 32-bit version. In fact, my existing project already had one Viper-track and it worked fine. After updating to 64-bit, this project crashes if I don't delete the Viper-track. I hope, I could explain myself...
Could you pelase show me a video of what happens because I have Win 7 with cubase 8 here too and I cant make it crash. I need to see what steps you are taking s I can reproduce it
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

Congrats on the 64bit release :)

Now, are you going to update jp6k?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

adamtrance wrote:Could you pelase show me a video of what happens because I have Win 7 with cubase 8 here too and I cant make it crash. I need to see what steps you are taking so I can reproduce it
It is really frustrating, when I can't narrow down the cause of a problem! It seems to be completely random, whether or not Cubase decides to crash. For about 30 times I started Cubase, opened a problematic project, deleted one or more tracks or even trimmed the whole project to a mere eight bars - sometimes, I can work with Viper, sometimes not. In one case Cubase crashed, when I closed the project and ended Cubase. But in most cases, Cubase crashed while adding a new Viper track.

I had a similar problem with Sylenth1 a few moths ago. They fixed it but they did not say, what the problem was. Lennard said, it only occurred under some particular circumstances and/or system configurations, which nowadays do not represent the majority of systems.

I managed to capture some crashes on video, but I don't think, they will help you. I'm almost sure, that you won't reproduce these crashes, as I did nothing unusual. I could tell you more about my system if it helped...

The forum doesn't allow me to upload the videos. If you like, we can discuss this further outside of this thread via e-mail or PM.

For all those having problems with Cubase: I didn‘t test the 64bit of Viper within Cubase 9.5 Pro very much so far, but I had recently annyoing crash experiences with Komplete Kontrol/NI Maschine. I then changed the studio setup - unchecked Steinberg Audio Power Scheme, unchecked Asio Guard and set priority to „Boost“. No crashes anymore. Maybe it depends on critical process handling, definitely worth to check this out.

I have just tested a Cubase project with the settings described above. 6 Viper instances loaded, nothing else. I have recorded tracks on three of them, used two arp presets (one of them the default from the first soundbank) and a bass. I did a bit cutoff automation for the SQ Arena. The cpu is jumping between 17 and 42 %. Wow, Viper is quite a Diva!

I think it's no problem to load a single instance in a project with many plugs already added, but trying to arrange further with several Viper instances will lead to dramatically different use of system recources right now and cause crashes. And I bet, it's not only Cubase.

Adam, if your work on the next updates mean that Viper will use a bit more cpu, please get sure that several instances can do their job within a reliable range of cpu use.

Sylenth1 and uHe Zebra have been super-stable, and for pure electronica I can imagine to use - besides drum machines - 4 instances of Viper, and Sylenth1 for the rest at the moment.

Next year I plan to get the Waldorf Kyra, which will be 8x multitimbral, and I guess the workflow for this new baby along with Viper will be awesome, with no need to bounce in place all the time :-)

Syngularity wrote:For all those having problems with Cubase: I didn‘t test the 64bit of Viper within Cubase 9.5 Pro very much so far, but I had recently annyoing crash experiences with Komplete Kontrol/NI Maschine. I then changed the studio setup - unchecked Steinberg Audio Power Scheme, unchecked Asio Guard and set priority to „Boost“. No crashes anymore. Maybe it depends on critical process handling, definitely worth to check this out.
Steinberg Audio Power Scheme was already unchecked, so that was probably not the problem. But I deactivated the ASIO Guard and set priority to „Boost“ - so far no crash on the first try. I think I will not use Viper in my "real" projects for now, but I will test the **** out of it. Let's see how it behaves. :D At some point it has to cause a crash or I consider this problem "solved"...

The only bug I'm experiencing in Ableton so far, is that sometimes a wrong Arp pattern is loaded when I open a saved project.

In Reaper though, things don't look so nice. Multiple bugs, including one where all audio is cut off after browsing through a few presets.

Overall the synth sounds very nice. The filter resonance needs further refinement, which will hopefully happen in future versions of Viper.

No no filter resonance is just fine. Leave it. Imho part of the sound. Let him make another filter type with different resonance if that's possible.

But first bug fixing..

:( It really makes me sad... There are so many synthesizers out there I don't have yet and I don't want any of them - except for Viper. I tried to use it again today in an existing project and in two of three cases Cubase crashed. And I used the same settings regarding the ASIO Guard as mentioned above. If I can do anything to assist finding out the cause of these crashes, I'm more than willing to help.

Im working on the issue, hopefully I will find it, patience friends.
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

I have solved my problems with Cubase today: I purchased a Bitwig licence.

Syngularity wrote:I have solved my problems with Cubase today: I purchased a Bitwig licence.
:lol: Bold move, but it works :D
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Syngularity wrote:I have solved my problems with Cubase today: I purchased a Bitwig licence.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Technical issues aside, this seems like a really great recreation of the Virus. I used to own a TI Snow which I sold in 2014. Even though it has been a while since I used and heard the synth, Viper sounds uncannily familiar. The architecture and layout are also extremely close, right down to details like how the unison spread becomes filter pan in Split filter mode. While many VST's sound at least as good as the Virus subjectively, having something that looks and behaves like the original makes it even easier to approximate the "signature sound" that was heavily used on certain tracks in the late 90's and 00's.

Feature-wise, it seems to be part Virus C, part TI. It obviously has the hypersaw oscillator from the TI, but not the granular or formant osc. The modulation matrix is closer to TI, minus recursive modulation. So it's 80% of the synth for <10% of the cost...

Haven't encountered any crashes or other major problems in Studio One so far.. On some occasions, turning on Delay or Reverb caused some weird audio spikes, but they were only transitory.

Return to “Instruments”