Viper|1.2.2 update with bugfixes and new skin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Viper

Synthman2000 wrote:To evaluate quality you really need only listen. Some synths are let down by their oscillators, some by their filters or effects sections. Getting all of this right is a seemingly rare combination and the Virus did (the filter is a matter of taste as it can be a bit uppredictable/quirky/gritty/have narrow sweetspot and make your sound disappear in a strange way - BPF/HPF) and then some.

The Virus is a synth that seems to have unfathamoble depths to me.

The way I see it is it is not a synth for the impatient. You still need to spend a lot of time with it and get to know its ins and outs.
It's the depth of the Virus that makes me love it's sound (even if I've never touched one myself, only heard in music/videos). Virus TI can be a bit of a hassle for impatient indeed, that's one thing that's much better with soft synths: convenience (which makes me very thankful for Viper). But the Virus TI looks so much more fun to use than for instance a regular soft synth. The physical knobs are a big plus since you then don't have to rely as much on automation when you experiment around. If it's fun, then it's much easier to learn.
recursive one wrote:
FLStudiouser94 wrote: Eventually I started to educate myself a bit more about synths and realized that many of my favorite tracks are made with hardware synths and not soft synths. The Virus TI in particular. I realized the void comes from the lack of not having a Virus TI, so I actually had plans on getting one. T
When I bought Virus TI it was like "wow, this is how they actually do this, it's that simple vith Virus!"
That's also what I noticed with Viper and I've heard this from others as well who owns the Virus TI. Making sounds can be done very fast but the quality won't be suffering from it (rather the opposite I'd say).

Great sounding synth.
Still hoping for the mac version, would buy it ;)

FLStudiouser94 wrote: That's also what I noticed with Viper and I've heard this from others as well who owns the Virus TI. Making sounds can be done very fast but the quality won't be suffering from it (rather the opposite I'd say).
Well, that's the beauty of Virus. I think modern virtual synths may have technically better components, like more accurate cicrcuit-modelled filters, antialiased oscillators, advanced wavetable stuff, but in Virus everything is put together in such a way to provide great sounding, very musical results without much hassle. I think Adam did excellent job and perfectly captured the overall character of Virus but I wish more devs would follow this route - I don't mean another Virus emulation, but rather a synth maintaining a good balance between versatility and great, characterful sound.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Hey Adam,
I have a technical question about Virus/Viper and DC. :)

I've come across a number of images and samples of the Virus Saw, without any sign of the 6dB HPF at 25Hz. Basically it looks straight, like this:

Top - Virus
Bottom - Viper Init preset

Could there be a DC offset kill on/off switch in the hardware somewhere?
Last edited by izonin on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Looking at that saw it looks less like DC offset and more like "analog" parameter makes the waveform asymmetric.

Thanks for clarifying the likely WT file format, out of interest more than anything.

Synthman2000 wrote:Looking at that saw it looks less like DC offset and more like "analog" parameter makes the waveform asymmetric.
I just grabbed this picture for illustration. Only look at the first saw on the left. It has no HPF applied to it, unlike the basic saw in Viper (no analog boost). Or am I missing something?

Edit: I uploaded a picture that clearly shows the HPF in Viper
Last edited by izonin on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

@adam
Am i am wrong but i saw here that you wrote that the Virus TI doesnt have chord in the arp section?
In my Virus TI Keyboard i can see there is.
Even in the TI desktop.
:?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

izonin wrote:Hey Adam,

I dont know where you got that saw from, but the Virus has a DC filter somewhere in the signal (I always presumed it was at the end), its basically a high pass filter, and Viper has one as well, thats why the saw looks bent. When I compare it with my VirusTi saw its bend as well, I dont know why yours looks straight. Maybe because the analog boost is still active and adds back the bass freqs that were removed by the DC filter?
Amram wrote:@adam
Am i am wrong but i saw here that you wrote that the Virus TI doesnt have chord in the arp section?
In my Virus TI Keyboard i can see there is.
Even in the TI desktop.
:?:
No I said Virus doesnt have the Arp Note in the arpeggiator. So you can build melodies directly with the arp instead of manually having to mess around with the matrix
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

adamtrance wrote:
izonin wrote:Hey Adam,

I dont know where you got that saw from, but the Virus has a DC filter somewhere in the signal (I always presumed it was at the end), its basically a high pass filter, and Viper has one as well, thats why the saw looks bent. When I compare it with my VirusTi saw its bend as well, I dont know why yours looks straight. Maybe because the analog boost is still active and adds back the bass freqs that were removed by the DC filter?
That's interesting. I've come across these non-bent, straight Virus saws multiple times, including the samples I've got (Viral Outbreak).

For example, check this thread out:
http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthrea ... 940&page=2

The oscillators look like perfect triangle shapes, with the Analog Boost set to 0.

Well I dont know what others are comparing on some other forum, and multisampled virus does not compare to the real one. All I know is that I am directly comparing Viper to the Virus and its doing the same thing. Virus is on the left channel (red wave) and Viper is the right channel (blue wave). You can see that as I go higher the saw gets more straight, and if I go lower it gets bent, which is because of the DC filter. I compare the analog boost as well, you can see what it does to a saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7fJmj3Vxz8
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

Difficult to make more accurate, indeed !
:tu:
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Hey!

I just downloaded the demo out of curiosity and noticed a small bug.

The INIT preset thingy doesn't work right. I think it simply doesn't reset all the parameters, because it sounds different depending on which preset was loaded before using the INIT thingy.

I was too lazy to check which parameters are affected, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Thanks Adam for posting the video! :tu: It seems that the DC filter in the TI series is permanent and can't be turned off. The perfect Sawtooth waves that people have been sharing and I was curious about come from an older Virus model, that didn't have the DC filter.

This explains why many consider the Virus B to sound warmer that the Ti. It simply doesn't apply a low-cut to the oscillators.

Great comparision in visuals, and amazing the level to similarity :tu:

Adam, a preset "PD Space Detuned T" (third bank) desperately needs more polyphony. :D
Do you plan to make 128 voice polyphony update?

Return to “Instruments”