Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals

Viper (coming soon)

Touch The Universe
KVRAF

3031 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Postby Touch The Universe; Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:10 am Re: Viper (coming soon)

That, or sub contracting parts of the code to multiple software developers, so no one but adam has the full picture, thus minimizing the risk of theft with the maybe added benefit of a smaller one time fee, opposed to a partnership.
High Quality Soundsets with a generous amount of presets. The Latest: Starfields for Spire.
http://www.touch-the-universe.com/
Teksonik
KVRAF

11654 posts since 15 Sep, 2001, from Las Vegas,USA

Postby Teksonik; Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:17 am Re: Viper (coming soon)

db3 wrote:
Teksonik wrote:Get someone to work with you who can code native plugins. Like Rob Papen and Jon Ayres. If Viper sounds as good as claimed it's a crime to handcuff it with SM/FS/SE.

I have no idea how much effort would be required to re-code in 64bit, but if Viper does has "the sound", partnering with another developer for a share of the profits would seem a good move.

Someone who would know pretty well is Lennard of Sylenth 1 fame. It was originally an S.E. creation supposedly just to wrap the GUI but he saw the light and coded a non-S.E. version. Sylenth has gone on to be one of the most popular plugins in the business.

If the idea is just to create a plugin...any plugin...as a labor of love that sounds like a Virus that's one thing but it's a whole different matter if the idea is to create a financially successful plugin. I'm not too sure how well a 32 bit only "Save As" plugin would sell these days. I wouldn't buy it but I might be in the minority. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
1wob2many
KVRian

504 posts since 2 May, 2014

Postby 1wob2many; Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:57 am Re: Viper (coming soon)

adamtrance wrote:
Anyway, yes, initially it will be released as 32 bit for PC, but if there is a high interest and its worth my time and effort a port is not out of the question. Right now the goal is to release at least one version first. But I beg, lets not derail this thread with another bit and mac fight, lets keep it for this synth only. Thank you!

Distorted Horizon
KVRist

377 posts since 17 Jan, 2017

Postby Distorted Horizon; Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:35 am Re: Viper (coming soon)

Teksonik wrote:Someone who would know pretty well is Lennard of Sylenth 1 fame. It was originally an S.E. creation supposedly just to wrap the GUI but he saw the light and coded a non-S.E. version.

Wow.. Didn't know that O_o
Flowers.. Flowers everywhere..
chk071
Suspended

Postby chk071; Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:37 am Re: Viper (coming soon)

Distorted Horizon wrote:
Teksonik wrote:Someone who would know pretty well is Lennard of Sylenth 1 fame. It was originally an S.E. creation supposedly just to wrap the GUI but he saw the light and coded a non-S.E. version.

Yeah, i only read about that a few years ago too. Hopefully stuff like that will also change the perception people have about SynthEdit. It really can be anything, from putting stock modules together, to coding something like Diva in it.
Distorted Horizon
KVRist

377 posts since 17 Jan, 2017

Postby Distorted Horizon; Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:21 am Re: Viper (coming soon)

G-Sonique afaik uses custom code inside SE world. Shame they don't do the final piece with fully c++ or similar..
Flowers.. Flowers everywhere..
starflakeprj
KVRian

576 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Postby starflakeprj; Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:29 am Re: Viper (coming soon)

Distorted Horizon wrote:G-Sonique afaik uses custom code inside SE world. Shame they don't do the final piece with fully c++ or similar..

I don't think they use custom code inside SE, they use (afaik) a custom bit bridge wrapper from jBridge.

Edit: ...and this comes, of course, with an extra cost. Either a one time amount, or some kind of licensing per sold license.
Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.0GHz | 64GB DDR3 | 3 x Nvidia GTX 780 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Roland QUAD-CAPTURE | M-Audio Code61
Studio One 3.5 | Reason 10 | Bitwig Studio 2.2 | Reaper 5.6 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 12.5 | 450+ VSTs | 130+ Rack Extensions
Halonmusic
KVRist

460 posts since 13 Nov, 2015, from Norway

Postby Halonmusic; Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:49 am Re: Viper (coming soon)

Distorted Horizon wrote:G-Sonique afaik uses custom code inside SE world. Shame they don't do the final piece with fully c++ or similar..

I thought G-Sonique used SM/FS?
starflakeprj
KVRian

Postby starflakeprj; Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:22 am Re: Viper (coming soon)

Halonmusic wrote:

They do.
Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.0GHz | 64GB DDR3 | 3 x Nvidia GTX 780 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Roland QUAD-CAPTURE | M-Audio Code61
Studio One 3.5 | Reason 10 | Bitwig Studio 2.2 | Reaper 5.6 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 12.5 | 450+ VSTs | 130+ Rack Extensions
ENV1
KVRAF

1988 posts since 31 Aug, 2011

Postby ENV1; Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:35 am Re: Viper (coming soon)

chk071 wrote:Hopefully stuff like that will also change the perception people have about SynthEdit.

For that to happen people would have to be willing to learn more about it. But unfortunately most people seem to be content just repeating what they hear from other people who are just repeaters themselves. So chances are not very good.

chk071 wrote:It really can be anything, from putting stock modules together, to coding something like Diva in it.

You dont 'code' anything in SE. What you do is write your code (modules) and then use SE to run them, just like you would run plugins in a DAW. (Exactly the same basic principle. You connect modules together in SE just as you connect/chain plugins in a DAW.)

Because technically SE is simply a host. A host for code. (Yes, you can run and integrate VST plugins too, but you know what i mean.) What comes out of it solely depends on what you make it do, i.e. it does not have a 'sound' of its own, or a 'look' of its own, or anything else of its own. Just like your DAW it will simply output whatever you tell it to output, in other words the only thing that matters with respect to output quality is your code and your artwork and nothing else.

Another widespread misconception is the belief that there is this big difference between SE and C++. (As if SE plugins were made of some mysterious material that just kinda exists but nobody really knows what it is.) Not surprisingly i say, because there simply is no such thing. As far as i was able to see, practically all of the SE stock modules ARE written in C++ and the same goes for the vast majority of 3rd party modules too. (Ive seen a few modules by one single developer (Christian Budde if i remember correctly) which were written in Delphi but thats it.) So the idea that there should be this big huge difference in quality if only the plugin was converted from 'SE' (you know, the mystery stuff) to C++ is just crazy because in like 99% of the cases the code already is C++ and in the rest of the cases it would probably be Delphi, which of course doesnt sound any different either.

Anyway. Just thought id mention it.
Examigan
KVRAF

4099 posts since 15 Sep, 2005, from East Coast of the USA

Postby Examigan; Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:42 am Re: Viper (coming soon)

Distorted Horizon wrote:

OP-X Pro II also, not sure how Peter got it to 64-bit exactly, but it is now.
Halonmusic
KVRist

460 posts since 13 Nov, 2015, from Norway

Postby Halonmusic; Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:38 am Re: Viper (coming soon)

starflakeprj wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:

They do.

That's what i though. :)
chk071
Suspended

Postby chk071; Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:47 am Re: Viper (coming soon)

ENV1 wrote:You dont 'code' anything in SE. What you do is write your code (modules) and then use SE to run them, just like you would run plugins in a DAW. (Exactly the same basic principle. You connect modules together in SE just as you connect/chain plugins in a DAW.)

Well exactly. Maybe i used the wrong terms. What i wanted to say is that you can create any synth you can imagine it, using your own code in the modules.
starflakeprj
KVRian

Postby starflakeprj; Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:47 am Re: Viper (coming soon)

Halonmusic wrote:
starflakeprj wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:

They do.

That's what i though. :)

They use a plugin wrapper with a built-in bit bridge (developed by the guy behind jBridge), in which they place their plugins.
ENV1
KVRAF

1988 posts since 31 Aug, 2011

Postby ENV1; Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:45 pm Re: Viper (coming soon)

chk071 wrote:What i wanted to say is that you can create any synth you can imagine it, using your own code in the modules.

Precisely.

And just for completeness sake; these modules are really DLLs too.

Ordinary PEs, only with their file-extension changed from .dll to .sem or .sep

This makes it even clearer how conceptually similar SE+Modules and DAW+Plugins are. In both cases the application is merely hosting external DLLs in order to provide functionality, the only real difference is that in SE you do all the low-level stuff, (like creating and wiring up oscillators, filters, envelopes and whatever other building blocks the project requires), whereas in a DAW youre working with fully developed VST/VSTi plugins.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments