Viper|1.2.2 update with bugfixes and new skin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Viper

izonin wrote:
I say A is Viper and B is Virus.
Same here. Hard to describe why, but B sounds a bit more "exciting" with regards to the filters. Although they are both very close indeed.
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

I forgot to mention that in both parts ive mixed up virus with viper and via versa :-D

You mean it's not A-B-A-B-A-B or B-A-B-A-B-A but it could also be A-B-B-A-A-B ?

Anyway, my bad ears can't tell a difference really. :D

Chris-S wrote:You mean it's not A-B-A-B-A-B or B-A-B-A-B-A but it could also be A-B-B-A-A-B ?

Yes :-)

But even with good ears it would be hard to pin point wich is wich because Viper has that "virus" sound, punchy, clicky, smooth sound wich is not easy to replicate and for certain patches almost impossible :)

But Virus in general especialy when lfo with max rate applied to pitch can sound a little muddy and less clear comparing to real thing. Also that applies to the detune. But in the end it still the closest you can get :-)

I just hope Adam wount just make a 64 bit version but also gonna add some features that virus has like Hypersaw sync and ability to use wavetable shapes in lfos :)

But in first synth comparison A is Virus and B is Viper in second first is Viper and 2nd is Virus :wink:

Elektronisch wrote:
Chris-S wrote:You mean it's not A-B-A-B-A-B or B-A-B-A-B-A but it could also be A-B-B-A-A-B ?

But even with good ears it would be hard to pin point wich is wich because Viper has that "virus" sound, punchy, clicky, smooth sound wich is not easy to replicate and for certain patches almost impossible :)

But Virus in general especialy when lfo with max rate applied to pitch can sound a little muddy and less clear comparing to real thing. Also that applies to the detune. But in the end it still the closest you can get :-)

I just hope Adam wount just make a 64 bit version but also gonna add some features that virus has like Hypersaw sync and ability to use wavetable shapes in lfos :)

But in first synth comparison A is Virus and B is Viper in second first is Viper and 2nd is Virus :wink:
I got the second comparison right! Had no idea about the first one though.

Anyway, that's not the kind of difference anyone would ever care about when making actual tracks.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:
Elektronisch wrote:

I got the second comparison right! Had no idea about the first one though.

Anyway, that's not the kind of difference anyone would ever care about when making actual tracks.
Actually in real world it might give some serious challenge when doing a track mixdown and the sound is made from few synth layers :-)

wagtunes wrote: Hope you guys have plenty of blood pressure medicine.
:hihi:

I m pretty sure it goes like this: Virus, Viper, Viper, Virus. If its not like that then its so close it fooled even me :D

Edit, oops I didnt see the answer was already revealed but then I was right, I know what to look for ;)
Last edited by adamszabo on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

Viper does quite a lovely psy bass :love:

One of the best I've ever heard in a vsti.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b46XJkN ... e=youtu.be
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Funny, I thought that the B's sounded better.

So, the filter needs more work to get it 1:1. Maybe in the next update? :)

izonin wrote:Funny, I thought that the B's sounded better.

I think people give too much credit to filter sometimes. In virus case filter doesnt do anything that define the Virus :) its good as it is now :)

I had owned both a Virus KC (2004-2007) and a Virus TI Mk1 desktop (2006-2015) and i admit that the only feature i am still interested in from teh TI is the Hypersaw.

Before i sold the TI i had sampled the Hypersaw at different detune amount and used those samples in different synths including my Waldorf Blofeld.
Before selling it i also compared it to the dedicated Hypersaw Osc mode in Tone2 Electra 2.1 and this nailed the TI Hypersaw very nicely too.

Now i just conpared the Viper demo (with jBridge in lIve 9 64-bit) to the Hypersaw Unison modes in Tone2 Icarus and taht one nails the Hypersaw in Viper really nicely. Besides that in Icarus this feature could be used wit hany waveform, not just a Sawtooth and Icarus also has the Stereo Hypersaw modes that add stereo width to the Hypersaw voices.

The "Density" feature available in all 3 Osc of my Novation UltraNova could mimic a Hypeesaw like sound quite nicely too and like in Icarus works with all waveforms and also wavetables.

I also got the full version of Adam Szabo JP6K and with the proper single cycle waveform loaded in Icarus (sampled from a single waveform) in combination with the Supersaw Unison mode Icarus could nail the JP-8000 Supersaw nicely too (and in Icarus it could work with all waveforms, not just a Sawtooth).

Point is that i had owned the real thing (both the Virus KC and TI) and for the purpose of using a Hypersaw Icarus (and also Electra 2.5) currently is a better choice for me. My UltraNova as hardware is a nice replacement for me too. Besides that i also got the Virus TI Hypersaw samples.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

recursive one wrote:
Roman Wisniak wrote:
tristan- wrote:
Chris-S wrote:
ATN69 wrote:It's easy to work with Viper. The GUI and workflow is logical.
Is there a resize-option for the GUI? It's a bit small on my HD screen....

Concerning the comparison video Virus vs. Viper: Have the patches been converted by hand or is there a converter existing?
There's no way to patch convert between them. It's not a clone, yet its very similar.
Really? Couldn't be made using a script comparing/matching fxp files?
Virus presets are MIDI files, not fxb/fxp.
It's pointless weather Virus presets are .mid or .syx because you can convert whole banks to fxb using VSTi Virus Ti plugin then compare/match fxp files between Virus Ti and Viper.

Elektronisch wrote:
izonin wrote:Funny, I thought that the B's sounded better.

I think people give too much credit to filter sometimes. In virus case filter doesnt do anything that define the Virus :) its good as it is now :)
Yeah, the difference is subtle. Maybe even not noticeable in a mix.

Another thing I'm noticing now is that in the second example the Viper Hypersaw sounds thicker and rougher than the Virus. The hardware oscillators seem to be smoother and more transparent.

Ingonator wrote:I had owned both a Virus KC (2004-2007) and a Virus TI Mk1 desktop (2006-2015) and i admit that the only feature i am still interested in from teh TI is the Hypersaw.
I think I read multiple times that you are a fan of the Hypersaw in the Virus Ti, and you always mention Icarus. While it does a cool Hypersaw its nothing like the one in the Virus Ti or in Viper. First of all, the real OG Hypersaw in the Virus lets you dynamically dial in the amount of voices. So you can have a single osc Hypersaw, and smoothly dial in more all the way up to 9. In Icarus, you can only choose from Hypersaw 3, 5, 7 and 9. You cannot blend between them. Also the detune in Icarus does not go as far as the Virus Hypersaw. Then, another feature in the Hypersaw is that when you enable the Sub oscillator, you get Hypersquares blended in with the Hypersaws for a very massive sound. Icarus does not that either. So as far as I am aware Viper is the only one that nails all of these right now.
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

Return to “Instruments”