Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

RAPID Synthesizer - NOW also for MacOS X !

User avatar
parawave
KVRist
 
122 posts since 15 Mar, 2016, from Germany

Postby parawave; Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:10 pm Re: RAPID Synthesizer - NOW also for MacOS X !

mi-os wrote:
parawave wrote:
mi-os wrote:I'm intrested in Rapid's MIDI mapping capabilities. My goal is patch creation without computer screen.

Is every parameter MIDI mappable via learn/unlearn without any limits? How about an u-he style list editor? I assume there are more than 128 parameters in Rapid. How would you overcome this limit?
Almost every one. Each layer has its own parameter for every visible knob, so there are 8 filter cutoff parameters for example. Also each layer effect slot parameter is automat-able, which makes a huge difference, in sum it's ~2896 parameters. Can't imagine an easy way to map everything to a hardware controller.


Thanks! Which parameters can't be mapped?

I tought about using a single layer only. Otherwise if i build a custom controller it should be possible to switch between layers. But that makes only sense if i can control every parameter in a convenient way.
In general - only where it makes sense, so mostly non-continuous controls. If a parameter triggers an action that takes a considerable amount of time to be executed, MIDI mapping is intentionally turned off. The switching between oscillator waveforms for example. In this case an automat-able parameter is to bothersome, because the load time is greater than a few milliseconds.
mi-os
KVRist
 
65 posts since 13 Apr, 2017

Postby mi-os; Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:57 am Re: RAPID Synthesizer - NOW also for MacOS X !

parawave wrote:
mi-os wrote:
parawave wrote:
mi-os wrote:I'm intrested in Rapid's MIDI mapping capabilities. My goal is patch creation without computer screen.

Is every parameter MIDI mappable via learn/unlearn without any limits? How about an u-he style list editor? I assume there are more than 128 parameters in Rapid. How would you overcome this limit?
Almost every one. Each layer has its own parameter for every visible knob, so there are 8 filter cutoff parameters for example. Also each layer effect slot parameter is automat-able, which makes a huge difference, in sum it's ~2896 parameters. Can't imagine an easy way to map everything to a hardware controller.


Thanks! Which parameters can't be mapped?

I tought about using a single layer only. Otherwise if i build a custom controller it should be possible to switch between layers. But that makes only sense if i can control every parameter in a convenient way.
In general - only where it makes sense, so mostly non-continuous controls. If a parameter triggers an action that takes a considerable amount of time to be executed, MIDI mapping is intentionally turned off. The switching between oscillator waveforms for example. In this case an automat-able parameter is to bothersome, because the load time is greater than a few milliseconds.


Makes sense. I think we need a solution for this via an advanced event system. Perhaps OSC could be helpful!? If yes, do you have OSC support?
User avatar
parawave
KVRist
 
122 posts since 15 Mar, 2016, from Germany

Postby parawave; Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:35 am Re: RAPID Synthesizer - NOW also for MacOS X !

mi-os wrote:
parawave wrote:In general - only where it makes sense, so mostly non-continuous controls. If a parameter triggers an action that takes a considerable amount of time to be executed, MIDI mapping is intentionally turned off. The switching between oscillator waveforms for example. In this case an automat-able parameter is to bothersome, because the load time is greater than a few milliseconds.
Makes sense. I think we need a solution for this via an advanced event system. Perhaps OSC could be helpful!? If yes, do you have OSC support?
Yes, OSC (Open Sound Control, for people who are confused) could make a lot of things easier in this case. Although I'm always interested in new possibilities to increase the workflow, be aware that some features are not worth the effort until there is a wide user base. I'm not really sure if it would be used. And providing such an advanced interface protocol is not really an easy task. So, let's assume OSC is provided for a moment: Which controller would you use to send/receive the actual messages?

Also, I find it hard to imagine controlling Rapid purely with an external controller. Especially the Sequencer, Arpeggiator and Trancegate are designed with mouse controls in mind. It's probably the fastest way to create patches. Sure, for macros and filters it's cool to have an external controller, but for the remaining stuff? Not sure. But maybe you can explain your idea further?

Anyway, for a pure touch interface (Smartphone/Tablet) #RapidMobile ;) or a knob, button, fader controller I would pick a different control scheme in the first place.
mi-os
KVRist
 
65 posts since 13 Apr, 2017

Postby mi-os; Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:19 pm Re: RAPID Synthesizer - NOW also for MacOS X !

parawave wrote:Also, I find it hard to imagine controlling Rapid purely with an external controller. Especially the Sequencer, Arpeggiator and Trancegate are designed with mouse controls in mind. It's probably the fastest way to create patches. Sure, for macros and filters it's cool to have an external controller, but for the remaining stuff? Not sure. But maybe you can explain your idea further?

Anyway, for a pure touch interface (Smartphone/Tablet) #RapidMobile ;) or a knob, button, fader controller I would pick a different control scheme in the first place.


I'm in the process of planning/building my own synth controller (with physical btns, pots, encoders, displays and so on - essentially like a hardware synth). So i need to evaluate which plugins expose all parameters and have a sufficient interface (Sysex/MIDI?) to work my controller. When i like the sound of it, i'd have a candiate to be supported by my controller. For example DIVA seems to fulfill these requirements.

What do you mean by different control schemes regarding touch/physical controllers? I thought about looking into touch controllers before, since they have to have a solution for all this too. But i've not done it yet.
bite_me
KVRist
 
233 posts since 1 May, 2015, from Ruhrgebiet

Postby bite_me; Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:17 pm Re: RAPID Synthesizer - NOW also for MacOS X !

mi-os wrote:I'm in the process of planning/building my own synth controller (with physical btns, pots, encoders, displays and so on - essentially like a hardware synth). So i need to evaluate which plugins expose all parameters and have a sufficient interface (Sysex/MIDI?) to work my controller. When i like the sound of it, i'd have a candiate to be supported by my controller. For example DIVA seems to fulfill these requirements.


Someone has already built a diva controller I saw somewhere in the net. So a hardware Rapid would be very cool...

Mi-os, let us know any progresses of your plan! :clap: :tu:

Watch this http://www.synth-project.de/controller_overview.html
User avatar
Touch The Universe
KVRAF
 
2955 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Postby Touch The Universe; Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:25 pm Re: RAPID Synthesizer - NOW also for MacOS X !

I would love to see how that would turn out :D
High Quality Soundsets with a generous amount of presets. The Latest: Nimbus Soundset for Largo.
http://www.touch-the-universe.com/
mi-os
KVRist
 
65 posts since 13 Apr, 2017

Postby mi-os; Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:16 am Re: RAPID Synthesizer - NOW also for MacOS X !

bite_me wrote:
mi-os wrote:I'm in the process of planning/building my own synth controller (with physical btns, pots, encoders, displays and so on - essentially like a hardware synth). So i need to evaluate which plugins expose all parameters and have a sufficient interface (Sysex/MIDI?) to work my controller. When i like the sound of it, i'd have a candiate to be supported by my controller. For example DIVA seems to fulfill these requirements.


Someone has already built a diva controller I saw somewhere in the net. So a hardware Rapid would be very cool...

Mi-os, let us know any progresses of your plan! :clap: :tu:

Watch this http://www.synth-project.de/controller_overview.html


Hey bite_me, yes i saw synth-project's controllers too. Instead of the Doepfer controller boards i'd use the Midibox system. I hope this way i can setup sub menus since there would be too many physical controls otherwise. But it's tedious work to evaluate which plugins are fully controllable and then decide the final layout. I'd like to support minimum one VA (likely DIVA) and one 'digital/wavetable' synth.
User avatar
Touch The Universe
KVRAF
 
2955 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Postby Touch The Universe; Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:15 pm Re: RAPID Synthesizer - NOW also for MacOS X !

This might not be a very important issue, but I noticed that Rapid will not work inside Imageline's Directwave Vsti Program to sample a patch. I can load the plugin inside Directwave, but I hear a noise until the default preset comes up. When I select a patch, while loading, the noise comes back until the patch is loaded. When I try to sample a patch, nothing is streamed even though it says it completed the job. I realize its a mutlti-timbral synth, but lush 101 is likewise but it works inside directwave. Just a heads up. I know parawave mentioned he was bored since bugs are non existent so maybe this can bring a change of pace? No biggie though :D
High Quality Soundsets with a generous amount of presets. The Latest: Nimbus Soundset for Largo.
http://www.touch-the-universe.com/
User avatar
parawave
KVRist
 
122 posts since 15 Mar, 2016, from Germany

Postby parawave; Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:31 pm Re: RAPID Synthesizer - NOW also for MacOS X !

mi-os wrote:What do you mean by different control schemes regarding touch/physical controllers? I thought about looking into touch controllers before, since they have to have a solution for all this too. But i've not done it yet.
If Rapid were a pure tablet/touch application, I would have designed some things a bit different.

Same goes for a pure controller interface. If I had to optimize Rapid for a hw controller, I would strip and reorder a few components, otherwise a hardware controller with three oscillator displays plus modulator display would probably become a bit expensive. And I can't imagine an easy way to support the effect slot reordering in hardware. I thinks that's the reason why synth-project.de sticks to controllers for synths like DIVA, which uses a more "traditional" kind of GUI.

Touch The Universe wrote:This might not be a very important issue, but I noticed that Rapid will not work inside Imageline's Directwave Vsti Program to sample a patch. I can load the plugin inside Directwave, but I hear a noise until the default preset comes up. When I select a patch, while loading, the noise comes back until the patch is loaded. When I try to sample a patch, nothing is streamed even though it says it completed the job. I realize its a mutlti-timbral synth, but lush 101 is likewise but it works inside directwave. Just a heads up. I know parawave mentioned he was bored since bugs are non existent so maybe this can bring a change of pace? No biggie though :D
You blew my mind. I totally missed the VST Sampler feature within DirectWave (probably because I never use it). But still: A very interesting feature. I don't know what is happening in the background, but it seems you have to select a "program". It probably doesn't work because Rapid doesn't use the 256 programs per bank thing, which seems like a requirement for sampling within DirectWave. Not sure though.

By the way: I'm not bored, I still implement the import feature. Actually it's already possible to load custom wavetables + there is a new oscillator browser. Faster and nicer looking. It will be released with 1.1.0. But before it's ready I want to implement a few features to easily create user libraries + multi samples.
And who knows, maybe someday Rapid will come with a built-in VST Sampler, like DirectWave. Definitely possible. So you could sample Rapid within Rapid ;)

Any wishes for the method to import Multi-Samples? The easiest way would probably be some naming convention, like: guitar C4.wav, guitar E4.wav, guitar G#.wav
Other proposals?
User avatar
Touch The Universe
KVRAF
 
2955 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Postby Touch The Universe; Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:47 pm Re: RAPID Synthesizer - NOW also for MacOS X !

Thanks parawave. I was able to load the patch fine through there own load a .fxp but it didn't seem to stream anything. Yes, it is actually a very handy feature to sample vsti's and other hardware. If directwave could sample hardware, I'd be all set.

I'm very excited to hear all the good news. I eagerly await those features you mention, as I'm sure many others do :D

About the importing multi samples, would it make things easier if we can drag and drop a bunch of samples and have them read the embedded root key information in the files. Directwave for example imprints the root key of each sample, and I can simple drag and drop the entire lot into halion and it automatically reads this information and maps it accordingly. The only thing I need to do at that point is to fill up from root key, or down, to fill in the spaces in between the samples. Maybe have a window nested where the sequencers/ arp is dedicated to importing multi samples where we can drag and drop from our daw or OS the files with an option to fill up or down the missing keys. You can fill out the window space with a sample key map where it shows you where the samples are. It seems you have something similar already in place with rapids keyzones, though the dedicated keymap isn't necessary. As long as it can read the embedded root key information and fill in the rest, it will be more than adequate. There are already many dedicated tools organize and samples and can be done outside or rapid, it just needs to be able to read it. Also, having the simpler naming method would also be valuable to those without those other apps or for just testing out a few samples.
High Quality Soundsets with a generous amount of presets. The Latest: Nimbus Soundset for Largo.
http://www.touch-the-universe.com/
User avatar
parawave
KVRist
 
122 posts since 15 Mar, 2016, from Germany

Postby parawave; Fri May 05, 2017 1:21 pm Re: RAPID Synthesizer - NOW also for MacOS X !

recursive one
KVRAF
 
2830 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Postby recursive one; Sun May 07, 2017 2:48 am Re: RAPID Synthesizer - NOW also for MacOS X !

Aside form the vocals, I think most of the sounds from this demo may be made by slight variations of the factory patches. How about pushing the limits a bit in new preset packs?
It's not all about how close something is to the bleeding edge of technology or how long the feature list is. If it sounds good to you, it sounds good to you, full stop. (C) Vectorman
Mirko R.
KVRist
 
74 posts since 8 Oct, 2016, from Hagen | Germany

Postby Mirko R.; Mon May 08, 2017 12:32 pm Re: RAPID Synthesizer - NOW also for MacOS X !

Did you noticed the power of the MB Shaper? Here is a quick example how to handle this freaky effect. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbp_mLagyvw
User avatar
DJErmac
KVRist
 
279 posts since 25 Apr, 2009, from Fr

Postby DJErmac; Mon May 08, 2017 2:27 pm Re: RAPID Synthesizer - NOW also for MacOS X !

Sounds GREAT ! I've remade it for fun. :D

Once again : Mirko R, you're one of the most talented sound designers of all times ! Your work is greatly appreciated !!
Mirko R.
KVRist
 
74 posts since 8 Oct, 2016, from Hagen | Germany

Postby Mirko R.; Mon May 08, 2017 5:45 pm Re: RAPID Synthesizer - NOW also for MacOS X !

DJErmac wrote:Sounds GREAT ! I've remade it for fun. :D

Once again : Mirko R, you're one of the most talented sound designers of all times ! Your work is greatly appreciated !!


Wow, Thank You. :-)
Yes, playing with the Shaper is a lot of fun. :-D
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments