RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:So are samples processed the same through RAPID's sound engine like wavetables?
No and Yes. :-D

If you import samples, you have four different modes to import them.

1. Single-Sample
The sample you import will play in an osc like in a sampler. RAPID plays the sound with the pitch of your pressed key. simple and nothing special.

2. Multi-Sample
Here you have to import more than one sample. RAPID will take all these samples and create one big multi-sample which you can load in your osc. RAPID will take the informations from the filename to map the samples over your keyboard. let me give you two examples.

2.1. the easy example: take a bassdrum wav sample and rename it like "Kick C3.wav". Take also a snaredrum sample and rename it like "Snare C4.wav". Importand are here the tags "C3" and "C4". Import booth samples and select "Multi-Sample" to import it. RAPID will now map the kickdrum on C3 and the snare on C4. Now you can use this multisample in an osc. If you play now C3, you will hear the bassdrum. If you play C#3, you will hear the Bassdrum which is pitched up one semitone. The bassdrum is available till F3 and at F#3 you will hear the first time the snare (pitched down 6 semis). just try it. It is easy and so powerful

2.2. the complex example: RAPIDs multisample-importer is very powerful. if you take a look at the 2.1. example, you will see, that you can lay a sample on each key. in fact you could import max 127 samples, right?... NO! You can use also multisamples with velocity-steps and round-robin. Lets take again a look at example 2.1., we would like to import a bassdrum and a snare but in this case, we have a lot of real recordings from real drums. lets say we have 12 recordings from the bassdrum. 4 times with very low power (soft hit), 4 times with mid power and 4 times with full power. all the 12 samples can now be used for one key. if you press the C3 key very soft, than rapid will randomly play a sample from the 4 asmples with low power. if you press again very soft, rapid will play randomly another sample from the 4 samples with low power (round robin). if you press hard,... i think you get it. ;-) All these samples are only for one key. you could also do the same with the snare and now imagine, you record a real piano. each key with 4 times round-robin and 6 velocity steps. That could be a very huge multisample but the results are awesome. So you see, RAPID is not only a synth,... it is also a really great rompler. Let me quickly explain how to name the wav files to import them in rapid. here you have to add some more tags in your file names but it is really easy. let's take the bassdrum.

Code: Select all

Kick C3 RR0 V0.wav
Kick C3 RR1 V0.wav
Kick C3 RR2 V0.wav
Kick C3 RR3 V0.wav
Kick C3 RR0 V1.wav
Kick C3 RR1 V1.wav
Kick C3 RR2 V1.wav
Kick C3 RR3 V1.wav
Kick C3 RR0 V2.wav
Kick C3 RR1 V2.wav
Kick C3 RR2 V2.wav
Kick C3 RR3 V2.wav
btw. here is an example of a Multisample for the Trance Essence XT:
MultisampleImport.jpg

3. Resynthesis
This is a really individual kind of importer, you really have to test it. If you select a sample and import it with the resynthesis importer, RAPID will break the sound into his basic frequency-structure and generates an perfect looped multisample sound which sound endles. it's like the endless reverb of the sound but in his own way. if you import a hihat, you have an endles metallic noise which sounds like the hihat. if you import a chord of an instrument, you will get the endles chord. this is so awesome because you can import everything and gets so interesting atmospheric results, I never heared before in a synth. To Parawave..... :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: for this awesome stuff!

Here are two examples. Booth are just one osc resynthesis results with ADSR and Reverb
https://soundcloud.com/mirkoruta/parawa ... s-importer

https://soundcloud.com/mirkoruta/parawa ... is-results

4. Wavetable (Constant Frame-Size)
With this importer you can convert a single sample into a wavetable. You have some options for the frame-size. So you can specify it by pitch (like C3, D#4 or something like this), by frequency (like 440hz) or by sample-size (like 2048 samples). This importer doesn't have all the functions that serum has to edit the wavetable (I never used the editor in serum, i delevoped my own which is for me more useful), but it has two big advantages that no other importer has. First point is the cleanliness. Try other importers, you have very often really little crackles or clicks after importing your wavetable. RAPID it clean in this case.
The second advantage is the "declick frames" options. In some cases, wavetables will create clicks, mostly when you have floating phases (phase shiftings over the frames) and the edges of the samples doesn't match. RAPID will fix it in his own way. Other importer do thinks like zero-cross or stuff which will kill the clicks but also change the basic sound of the wavetable. If I have to create wavetables for other synths than I create them and first import it in rapit to have a clean table, then I take the result and import it into the synth I need it. Every Time! ;-)

I made a tutorial in the past with some examples and all functions in detail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tty2Hwi8d2A

Okay egbert101, your question was really short and I hope my long answer helps you. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Is a Linux version on the RAPID roadmap?

Mirko, you should really copy this answer and paste it into they very first post, since
it describes perfectly what the synth is doing! well done :wink:

ragout wrote:Mirko, you should really copy this answer and paste it into they very first post, since
it describes perfectly what the synth is doing! well done :wink:
+1

] Peter:H [ wrote: ... as I've mentioned that I used a Mellotron Sample pack to easily upload a multisample int Rapid...Just wanted to share the "result" with you. But actually I'm not quite sure how this realy would work. What I've done now is to locate a.) the imported multisample and b.) the patch using this multisample. What I don't know is, how you can get this into your environment.
To make things a bit clearer, sound content is never stored within presets. It will always be imported into the corrosponding user library folder. If you then choose the imported content in an oscillator and save a preset, its just references it.

So what if you want to share a patch using this content? The other users obviously needs the same content!

Go to the Information tab of your created user library an hit Publish. This will pack up all samples of your library and export it as one archive. e.g. If you library name is Melotron Samples, it will export it as Melotron.Samples.1.0.0.zip

This package can be send around, shared together with your saved FXP sound presets. If another user then wants to use this library, he has to click on Library > Add.. and choose the Melotron.Samples.1.0.0.zip file. It will then be added to the browsable content. All presets that use this content will automatically reference it.

ckoe wrote:Is a Linux version on the RAPID roadmap?
No, currently not planned.

parawave wrote:
] Peter:H [ wrote: ... as I've mentioned that I used a Mellotron Sample pack to easily upload a multisample int Rapid...Just wanted to share the "result" with you. But actually I'm not quite sure how this realy would work. What I've done now is to locate a.) the imported multisample and b.) the patch using this multisample. What I don't know is, how you can get this into your environment.
To make things a bit clearer, sound content is never stored within presets. It will always be imported into the corrosponding user library folder. If you then choose the imported content in an oscillator and save a preset, its just references it.

So what if you want to share a patch using this content? The other users obviously needs the same content!

Go to the Information tab of your created user library an hit Publish. This will pack up all samples of your library and export it as one archive. e.g. If you library name is Melotron Samples, it will export it as Melotron.Samples.1.0.0.zip

This package can be send around, shared together with your saved FXP sound presets. If another user then wants to use this library, he has to click on Library > Add.. and choose the Melotron.Samples.1.0.0.zip file. It will then be added to the browsable content. All presets that use this content will automatically reference it.
@Parawave and @Mirko - Thanks guys for the good explanations :tu: That were the parts missing for how to export content from Rapid to share it with others. Much appreciated! I will give it a try in the next days and export the Mellotron example again.
BTW Mirko you've asked about a fb page...finally here it is fresh from the press ;-) https://www.facebook.com/PeterH-176665006436454/

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:I mean all the same modulation, effects, and so on are played on the samples as much as the wavetables
Yes. Except few processes that make no sense to be applied on a sample, like Morph, Hard Sync and Phase Bend distortion

Hi guys,

probably you followed my previous attempt to import into Rapid and publish some Mellotron Samples I have grabbed from here: http://sonicbloom.net/de/kostenlose-sb- ... n-samples/
Now as I have learnt how to publish a content lib, I'm going to give it another try...So here you are: Please note, this is only an try-out. Don't expect a pro lib...the samples are not even looped :-( but still the sound good :-)
If you like it, please feel free to drop me a note on my newly created FB page... https://www.facebook.com/PeterH-176665006436454

ckoe wrote:Is a Linux version on the RAPID roadmap?
+1000000 :party: :party:

For importing samples I use Steinberg's Halion. It can insert keyrange/rootkey, loop and velocity info in the filename and in the sample. For roundrobins I make 2 or more programs. A really fast workflow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djP6f2DV8NE

I have previously mentioned the Mellotron Choir several times...
Here's a little case study, i.e. just 5 RAPIDs thrown together, 4 featuring Presets from init and one factory kick. On top of that several Meldaproduction dynamics tools. It's just to feature the Mellotron Choir ... and RAPID. Iwas so impressed how fast you can throw things togehter from scratch. Note: Please don't expect a symphony, it's just a little case study
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/para ... 01/s-zyMGF

] Peter:H [ wrote:Now as I have learnt how to publish a content lib, I'm going to give it another try...So here you are:
Yes, everything done right now ;)
kiezum wrote:For importing samples I use Steinberg's Halion. It can insert keyrange/rootkey, loop and velocity info in the filename and in the sample. For roundrobins I make 2 or more programs. A really fast workflow:
Always nice to get some feedback and see how users work with Rapid in different situations.
] Peter:H [ wrote:I have previously mentioned the Mellotron Choir several times...
I have something for you to try out. You mentioned the Mellotron choir is not looped. Now consider this: Just take a Mellotron sample at C4, drag it into the importer, but this time hit Resynthesis instead of Multi-Sample. You get a smooth auto-looped synth choir with a texture similar to the original sample. You could play it together with you normal sample to spice things up a bit.

Return to “Instruments”