RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

fmr wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote: Personally, I might be tempted at $149, max. Pay another 100 bucks on top? No way. There's plenty of competition around and it's likely to increase.
What's the competition? I see Avenger. Nexus won't count, as it doesn't feature a fully-fledged synthesis section.
What's the competition? Let's see:

UVI Falcon (this actually is no competitor - it kills any competition)
Waldorf Nave
Synapse DUNE 2
Tone 2 Icarus
Wolfgang Palm synths
Xfer Serum
Waves Codex
And if you go for just the EDM sounds, then it grows exponentially. I don't even count Avenger because it still doesn't exist, but that's another absurdly priced synth.
You don't get the idea of this synth, you should be comparing not the feature set but the sounds it comes with. I think it's main competitors are Nexus and Lethal and both are priced similarly. I guess its target audience will mostly look at the bundled presets and samples while the ability to tweak the sounds will be seen as a bonus but not the main selling point
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Who are you to judge a development teams products value based on a simple announcement?

Let the developer charge whatever he sees fit for his hard work, and let the market decide if it's worth it.

This discussion based on not much information has to be so very discouraging for anyone wanting his hard work appreciated.

TabSel wrote:Who are you to judge a development teams products value
The potential customers

TabSel wrote:Who are you to judge a development teams products value based on a simple announcement?

Let the developer charge whatever he sees fit for his hard work, and let the market decide if it's worth it.
FWIW, i don't judge on the product's value, i'm merely comparing to competing products, and as i believe that this is a very important point for getting the price "right", i do think this discussion is valid, especially as the dev asked what would be a good price himself. Other than that, agreed, it should entirely up to the dev and company to decide that. But why ask about it then?

recursive one wrote: You don't get the idea of this synth, you should be comparing not the feature set but the sounds it comes with. I think it's main competitors are Nexus and Lethal and both are priced similarly. I guess its target audience will mostly look at the bundled presets and samples while the ability to tweak the sounds will be seen as a bonus but not the main selling point
Sounds? :eek: If you go to compare the sounds, then there are hundreds of competitors. Nexus was priced absurdly, as I said, and has nothing special, I mean, nothing you can't get for much less in other synths. But hey, if you think it's worthing $250,00, be my guest.

I just expressed my opinion, based on the features offered, and considering the competition, and how much I paid (or am willing to pay) for each of them.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
recursive one wrote: You don't get the idea of this synth, you should be comparing not the feature set but the sounds it comes with. I think it's main competitors are Nexus and Lethal and both are priced similarly. I guess its target audience will mostly look at the bundled presets and samples while the ability to tweak the sounds will be seen as a bonus but not the main selling point
Sounds? :eek: If you go to compare the sounds, then there are hundreds of competitors. Nexus was priced absurdly, as I said, and has nothing special, I mean, nothing you can't get for much less in other synths. But hey, if you think it's worthing $250,00, be my guest.

I just expressed my opinion, based on the features offered, and considering the competition, and how much I paid for each of them.
You are clearly NOT a part of the audience they apaprently cater (me neither, for the record). There are people who don't care about the length of the feature list but they need presets which they can load into their DAWs and get exactly the same sounds the've heard in the latest EDM hit. If I were a ghost producer having to make 10+ propressive house tracks per week for living, I'd pay for Nexus or similar plugins whatever they are asking.

fmr wrote:Nexus was priced absurdly
Considering the success of Nexus, and its soundsets among producers, i would say the price is about right. ;)

BTW, i got some new glasses recently. After looking around in the shops, and seeing nothing but glasses frames from 169 to 300 €, i asked if they didn't have something a bit cheaper, so they rummaged in their drawers, and offered me 4 frames for about 70 € each, so i chose one of those. It looked exactly like the others, but it neither was from Armani, nor from Joop, or from another premium brand. So what exactly is 100, 200, or 300 € more expensive on the other models, except for the name? :shrug: And i'm sure those sell well, because the store had nothing else in its showpiece areas.

of course we as coustomers want lower prices, but IMO this isn't just a trick to save money. I like the sounds a features of this synth, but the $120-$150 is too much IMO. Unless the synth is a be all and end all I can't justify buying it at that price. At under $80 I would buy it without thinking twice.

The problem is how to get people to buy you product instead of your competitors or in addition. For a low price I don't care if a synths features and sounds overlap with something I already have, but for $150 it better do something that nothing else I have does.

Also most people here already have multiple synths already, so why buy this one? For people that don't have a ton of synths, when they ask for synth recommendations, will anyone say this synth? I imagine it won't if only a few people buy it. If the price is over $120 I hope they have a really good marketing team.

I remember last year when Boz's imperial delay came out and the whole thread was just complaints/jokes about the price. Now I barely hear anything about it despite the fact it sounded pretty good and had a great feature set.

trusampler wrote:I just picked up UVI Falcon for $179.00 us dollars in a sale their having, I'd like to get this one up too, if they offered a nice introductory price.
If you own Falcon there's pretty much zero reason to buy this synth.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
trusampler wrote:I just picked up UVI Falcon for $179.00 us dollars in a sale their having, I'd like to get this one up too, if they offered a nice introductory price.
+1 ... though they are all, just tools. If you can achieve something with one tool, that you can not with something else, and that important to you, then get the tool. simple.

This synth looks really cool, but I have a lot of others. The redundancy factor, and familiarity of what I have, dictates that I don't really need it. Just like, I have never owned a lot of what others consider "staples" or "iconic", like Nexus, and Massive, for example.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

The argument that this is a preset machine like Nexus frankly seems completely disconnected from reality. This synth looks like it has plenty of modulation features that go pretty deep if you want them to.

Just because the factory presets are mostly EDM sounds doesn't mean there's no programmability here. To correlate those things is silly, but of course typical KVR.

Was the GUI made in DOS?

I judge my 2 price points as follows based on the developer requesting a suggestion of pricing from a forum member I am guessing he does not know, a potential customer. So as other chimed in so did I. Seems like a reasonable enough response.

Hope 90€
Realistic guess 150€

It is a little unusual for a developer to suggest guessing the price if they already published it, it has to be said but my best guess is this sticks to the top of KVR forum for a few days/week which is a nice big, free advert.

The fact is for me personally is I would not purchase this synth at 250€. I will be out of the market and won't even demo it. There are just so many good sounds out there at a lower price point.

zerocrossing wrote:
I don't think that's true at all. A synths feature list is not everything. Sound and workflow are the other big reasons someone might have to chose a given synth over (or in addition to) another one. I can't speak for others but as powerful as falcon is, the workflow isn't for everyone (I don't love it myself). And the sound is not bad in some areas, like the sampling aspects, but the synth engine leaves a lot to be desired. The oscillators aren't the best, neither are the filters. And the envelopes are just weird. For example why do most presets with a fast attack sound like the attack is a burst of white noise? I like the granular and fm and don't mind the va osc for really vanilla sounds so I think I'll keep it for certain sounds (plus a great company with great support) but I just don't think you can say that it covers everything another synth would do.

BennyLucassi wrote:I personally wouldn't pay over $99 for this synth, for all those people stating "$130-$150" is a good price range, that's ridiculous lmao. The Equilibrium price for this would be from $80-$120
I find it ridiculous that you think a $130-$150 price range is ridiculous. Sure, it would be an instant buy for me when it goes on sale for $99 or less, but I'm not expecting it to be that cheap though. I'm guessing something around $200 is more likely, maybe with a nice introduction offer.

It's strange why it seems to be a problem (mentally) for many people to pay $199 for a very capable synthesizer plugin, when there are reverbs, eq's and compressor plugins that sell for more than that.
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

Return to “Instruments”