Avenger vs. Rapid

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think they are very different synths. What exactly are you looking for with this thread? I will use one for a certain thing and the other for another thing. They may both appear in the same musical piece or various pieces of music of mine.

Then again, I also own about 6 or 7 orchestral libraries. Different sounds for different settings.

IMO, both are great synths. Both have the main developer called René! ;)

I had the chance to test Avenger freely, so I spent much more time with it than the demo of Rapid. I think they are in the same level of quality and presets. Both have talented sound designer(s) and both can sound very to the left or to the right (I mean they have a very wide range).

Avenger can sound harsh and into your face kind of synth, but also can sound sweet and mild. I suppose Rapid can do that as well, but the character is different. Not that much, but maybe like Serum and Massive.

It seems Rapid's colours are not very popular, but for me I like it (I like yellow!). I think Rapid's design is cute and inviting. The modulation matrix needs to be polished in Rapid as this scrolling is not nice and also the last cell is not aligned nicely. Instead of scrolling I suggest tabs.

Avenger's colours are more official with the grey. The size is too big at 100% if you don't have bigger resolution than FHD. I suggested to be fit in 1920x1080 resolution with 100%, but it seems it was too late because the design was already done. Rapid size needs another option to be a little bit bigger. Anyway, for Avenger I use 100% mostly because the font/drawing are very clear and nice (with Reaper I can scroll). Anyway, I'm not missing a lot when it is 100%.

The two are pricey for me! I can't afford anyone of them this year because I already spent all the money saved, so maybe in future discounts in 2017. I don't know which one to choose, but mostly Avenger as I know most what I need, and I can be fast in doing my sounds from scratch. I just love the knobs around the main screen (the FM, Rate, AM, X-side, ..etc). Lovely sounds can be obtained from modulating this part.

I haven't tried to do my own presets in Rapid's demo, but I suppose it is a capable synth as well. Still, Avenger has more features and you can load many presets for most everything (Sequences, Arps, Drums patterns, ...etc). They are really a lot. I haven't used so much the wavetable really. Most of the times I just use the SAW or Pulse/Square waves and manipulating them with the different tools around the main screen. Anyway, there are tons of wavetables and samples.

In the end, just choose what inspiring you more. Or maybe choose the two if you can afford it ;)

EnGee wrote:Both have the main developer called René! ;)
Are you sure about that?

I've tried to compare them by making the as-close-as-possible same sounds. Rapid has a more "in your face" sound, with sharper transients and a slightly dirty (alive?) sound. Avenger is cleaner, well tempered, pure.

Which one has the best sound ? It's impossible to answer. Rapid has more character imho (with jaw dropping presets), but that doesn't make it best or not, that makes it great for sure. We're on so high levels of quality and complexity for both that, if one has better oscillators, the other one may have better filters (...), so finally what you get is an amazing sound with unlimited shaping possibilities.

The true difference is in the way you like to make sounds.

I've purchased both...
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Taurus wrote:Rapid = 10 points
Avenger = 3 points
Predator2 = 4 points

Avenger and Predator2 are the flop synths 2016
Exactly!!!!

themerx wrote:
Taurus wrote:Rapid = 10 points
Avenger = 3 points
Predator2 = 4 points

Avenger and Predator2 are the flop synths 2016
Exactly!!!!
Meh.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

xx JPRacer xx wrote:
Are you sure about that?
I think what he meant is that both have the same first name, not that it is the same person. René is quite a common name here in Germany.

chk071 wrote:
xx JPRacer xx wrote:
Are you sure about that?
I think what he meant is that both have the same first name, not that it is the same person. René is quite a common name here in Germany.
Yes :)

Avenger. At least it have a gui that doesn't make me wanna stab my eye.
musisikamar.com

Going by the sound of each synth I prefer the sound of Rapid. I have a feeling Avenger will do better with sales and all but I really feel Rapid just sounds better. I am not sure I am even going to buy Avenger now and before I thought for sure I would.

my two cents and I'm staying out of this thread for now on in case it gets ugly.
Last edited by ATS on Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

After d/l'ed the contents 3 times, I finally made Avenger up and running.

I've demoed Rapid and I love it though the sound is a bit harsh to my ear. Based on my 1 hr experience, I think Avenger is more fun as it has more tweak-ability than Rapid. And the FX is way better than Rapid as well. Modulation is also very flexible. The existing features, sound tuning & mirco-editing capabilities are well thought/design (I agreed it has room to improve).

At the very first moment that PW defined the price tag was hummm... a bit too high. I think the first batch users were not that happy as it is now 25% off !? within 45 days ?

Why not both ? Yes, only if I have enough $ to spend. But now, I will stay with Avenger.

Checked the avenger demo.
4,5 GB content? Thanks, but I have enough Kontakt sample libs.
On the other hand, I like the zone subpage for layering.

Just downloaded both demos to see what the fuss is about and unfortunately it says the Avenger installer is corrupted.

First impressions only, subject to change.

Just dabbling with each of them, mainly flicking through the presets, Rapid creates a more favourable impression. The sound strikes me as more unambiguously good.

Unlike most people, I like the Rapid UI apart from the fact that I have to use the Windows Magnifier to see it. Avenger is resizeable.

I've already bought Rapid and will probably buy Avenger.

The most obvious difference to me is the CPU hit. Most of Avenger's presets are hitting 80-90% CPU for me and many are going over and breaking up into distortion. Rapid's are averaging about 10% CPU.

The Reverb on Avenger seems really nice, the ArtsAcoustic one I think?

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”