Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Touch The Universe
KVRAF

2955 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Postby Touch The Universe; Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:37 am Vengeance Avenger - First Impressions and Wishlist

Hey guys, someone mentioned to create a thread for Avenger discussing how they like it so far and or feature suggestions, away from the mayhem of bug reports. I agree so decided to go ahead and create this thread.

My initial impressions, after spending less than an hour with it, are that it has really solid and creative routing options as well as an impressive effect section. The possibilities for sound design are immense, but the workflow could be enhanced significantly. It is not so intuitive to use and immediate to create good sounds, like Rapid for instance. I was blown away immediately with Rapid and was making my own patches with joy and ease immediately. Avenger has a good sound, at times very good, but isn't a giant sweet spot like Rapid. The silver lining is of course Avenger has the potential to rival, and possibility exceed, Rapid with all its capabilities after getting past the sometimes frustrating workflow.

To be honest, it's still far too early for me to say which one is better. It took over a month for Rapid to become my favorite synth but I have a feeling Avenger could likewise earn a top spot in my top five. I would have probably spent 10 or 20 hours with it already if the demo would have aloud saving presets, and maybe would have already bought it. The second I make a beautiful preset from init that I can't make with other synths, the synth is usually bought. Trouble is, it usually take a dozen or so hours to reach that point, but, it seems not being able to recall presets is quite the barrier to entry for me.

Whether I decide to buy it or not really comes down to these things:

1. how great a sound it has
2. can those sounds be made with what I already have.
3. how easy it is to reach good sounds
4. its potential

At this moment, I'm trying to decide if Rapid and Avenger has too much overlap. Sure they are both good synths but can I make all the sounds in Avenger with Rapid. So far it seems so, but I haven't even scratched the surface. Hands down it looses in intuitiveness and ease of use, but once that is overcome I'm sure it's potential will really shine through. I'm sure once more time has passed, its true value will become more apparent.

Wishes:

1.Please, please right click to assign modulation destinations. The drag and drop is good too, but I think it is a little faster this way. More options with workflow is always a good thing.

2. A thousand mile overview of all the waves, wavetables, and other samples in an expanded browser, like Rapid for instance.
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:25 am, edited 11 times in total.
High Quality Soundsets with a generous amount of presets. The Latest: Nimbus Soundset for Largo.
http://www.touch-the-universe.com/
cowby
KVRian

772 posts since 1 Feb, 2005

Postby cowby; Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:39 am VPS - AVENGER Programming techniques, bug reports & feature requests thread

Allow me to open up another thread which the title said it all.
Hope we can exchange skills, usage questions, features requests and bug reports here. No chat !?

I'd like to know if there is any LFO +/- for modulation ?

Also, I find that limit the voices < 24 with 3 OSCs (each have 3 vcs for detune) and 8 or so modulations can limit the CPU utilization around 40%. I am on i7 4790 16G RAM.

One strange thing I also notice that if I mute all 3 OSCs and then I play some chords via my controller, the CPU still going up like those OSCs not being muted.....

I hope in the next release can do more code optimization (make me recall the early release of Spire/Diva).
cowby
KVRian

772 posts since 1 Feb, 2005

Postby cowby; Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:40 am Re: Avenger - First Impressions and Wishlist

TTU, you are faster than me where I also fired-up another thread....
exmatproton
KVRAF

1779 posts since 24 Apr, 2011

Postby exmatproton; Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:41 am Re: VPS - AVENGER Programming techniques, bug reports & feature requests thread

+1

LFO: there is an offset button per LFO, so you can -, +, or -/+. It isn't possible to offset per parameter, which is a shame.
Last edited by exmatproton on Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Touch The Universe
KVRAF

Postby Touch The Universe; Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:42 am Re: Avenger - First Impressions and Wishlist

Seems a new thread was just created after mine :hihi:. To avoid a duplicate thread running, I'm willing to lock this one if not too many participate :)
High Quality Soundsets with a generous amount of presets. The Latest: Nimbus Soundset for Largo.
bluedad
something special

8456 posts since 15 Mar, 2002, from Birmingham, Alabama

Postby bluedad; Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:47 am Re: Avenger - First Impressions and Wishlist

I merged the two threads.
Touch The Universe
KVRAF

Postby Touch The Universe; Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:47 am Re: Avenger - First Impressions and Wishlist

cowby wrote:TTU, you are faster than me where I also fired-up another thread....

Seems we have a bit of overlapping with our posts too :hihi:

And merged, wow that was fast bluedad :tu:
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
exmatproton
KVRAF

Postby exmatproton; Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:50 am Re: Avenger - First Impressions and Wishlist

A very good place to start is at their youtube channel. They have quite extensive tut's.

Normally i figure stuff out on my own. However, some neat tricks and tips are shown there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsFKlfM ... _z&index=7
wagtunes
KVRAF

8198 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:08 am Re: Avenger - First Impressions and Wishlist

My wish list is very small.

Have you tried working with that sequencer? You need a degree in advanced calculus to dial in exact pitches. A simple Starcastle riff from "Silver Winds"...

C2-C2-C2-C2-F2-F2-F2-F2-C3-C3-C3-C3-G2-G2-G2-G2

Is like pulling teeth to program. Everything is in percentages and then, using the step seq as a modulator on pitch, you have to then figure out how to get the modulation amount just right.

NOT fun.

Otherwise, I have no complaints. I love this synth.

Oh, so my wish list is for a more user friendly sequencer
exmatproton
KVRAF

Postby exmatproton; Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:30 am Re: Avenger - First Impressions and Wishlist

My whislist (so far)

1) OSC as a modulator source (!!!)
2) switch for sequencer to switch between notes and percentage
3) always snap toggle for all editors
4) parallel filtering (per voice)
5) 8 LFO's, instead of the meager 4
6) double the ADSR times, from 10 to 20 seconds
Robmobius
KVRAF

2873 posts since 9 Sep, 2010, from A shit hole (Ireland).

Postby Robmobius; Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:39 am Re: Vengeance Avenger - First Impressions and Wishlist

I've only been using properly for two days.

This is the fist time my jaw hit the floor with a synth (okay, and and Icarus). Its sonic scope is incredible and I love the way it sounds (fat and warm). And with a huge array of decent FX and routing possibilities.

I'd agree with Wags the sequencer could be a little easier to use (for notes, etc.).

But overall I've no complaints only a few minor quibbles. Considering the complexity of the synth they've managed to pack it into a very easy to use GUI. Great youtube tutorial support as OP mentioned.

So far, I think it's at the top of my list (although, I'll need more time with it to be sure). :)

I would say that Avenger has set the new standard.
Dublin City: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
exmatproton
KVRAF

Postby exmatproton; Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:47 am Re: Vengeance Avenger - First Impressions and Wishlist

Robmobius wrote:I've only been using properly for two days.

This is the fist time my jaw hit the floor with a synth (okay, and and Icarus). Its sonic scope is incredible and I love the way it sounds (fat and warm). And with a huge array of decent FX and routing possibilities.

I'd agree with Wags the sequencer could be a little easier to use (for notes, etc.).

But overall I've no complaints only a few minor quibbles. Considering the complexity of the synth they've managed to pack it into a very easy to use GUI. Great youtube tutorial support as OP mentioned.

So far, I think it's at the top of my list (although, I'll need more time with it to be sure). :)

I would say that Avenger has set the new standard.

I am not the OP :)
woodsdenis
KVRian

1351 posts since 24 Feb, 2005

Postby woodsdenis; Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:49 am Re: Vengeance Avenger - First Impressions and Wishlist

My no 1 wish. A much easier way to import one shot samples as a sound source, the fact that you can do it for drums and not for Osc is daft. It seems it was done this way as to not over lap what Phalanx does. Phalanx has a very basic drag and drop system with a loop mode and root note assignment, IMO that is all that s needed , no need for round robin etc.

In general pretty solid here, no crashes.
Mac Pro
10.12.4 Digi 96 io
Cubase 9, Ableton Live 9.7, Bitwig 1.3
kiezum
KVRist

325 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Postby kiezum; Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:02 am Re: Vengeance Avenger - First Impressions and Wishlist

Two threads about Vengeance Avenger...

On a positive note, Avenger didn't crash yet on my system (Cubase 8.5 on Windows 10). I recognize a lot of the nice Phalanx features, even the waveshapes. Modulation system and resampling are simply brilliant. It encourages to experiment and come up with interesting sounds. Even the depth of modulation can be modulated! Avenger has decent filters and samples.

Wishlist
a preset system for AMP and Filter (like in Phalanx)
better sample import (if they would do that, no one would buy Phalanx)
quicker preset loading
CPU load could be much lower (Phalanx also needs to be optimized)

It's easy to create the Vengeance sound with it (the AA reverb and delay are turned on when initialized). No creamy analog sounds here.

As a Phalanx user I hope that they will not forget to update Phalanx (msvs:
"yes, we indeed plan to give Phalanx an (free) update with the new DrumSequencer, new FX types etc, once Avenger is released"). But they lowered the price of Phalanx and that isn't a very good sign.

Conclusion: nice synth that needs some updates. I'll first wait for an free update to Phalanx before I buy another product from Vengeance Sound.
Taurus
KVRist

184 posts since 30 Jan, 2016

Postby Taurus; Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:56 am Re: Vengeance Avenger - First Impressions and Wishlist

Sound is really bad. Features, GUI and reverb are great.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments