Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF

9326 posts since 6 Sep, 2008

Postby Mushy Mushy; Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:21 pm Re: Roland Cloud

Logged on, was reminded it’s £20 a month, logged out, bought Wave Alchemy Revolution for £60 instead.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"
Caine123
KVRAF

5142 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Postby Caine123; Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:23 pm Re: Roland Cloud

Mushy Mushy wrote:Logged on, was reminded it’s £20 a month, logged out, bought Wave Alchemy Revolution for £60 instead.

i dont think it is worth $240 for only to have TR-808!
but i keep it cause of the rest so far.... still i dont like this cloudshit!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 2nd Gen 18i20 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

5943 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:31 pm Re: Roland Cloud

It's annoying that they are all separate products, every single drum machine included. So if you wanted to own the 808 and 909, it would take 2 years and 480 dollars. That's crazy. if they are going to do this yearly ownership stuff, they could at least bundle some things together like the 808/909 as a single product.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
fmr
KVRAF

7131 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:37 pm Re: Roland Cloud

Echoes in the Attic wrote:It's annoying that they are all separate products, every single drum machine included. So if you wanted to own the 808 and 909, it would take 2 years and 480 dollars. That's crazy. if they are going to do this yearly ownership stuff, they could at least bundle some things together like the 808/909 as a single product.

:lol: If you were Roland, would you that? Especially the Roland we all know?
Fernando (FMR)
beely
KVRAF

1528 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Postby beely; Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:40 pm Re: Roland Cloud

I think people are getting a bit too hung on the "if you wanted to own it" stuff.

Once you started paying for the service, the plugins are available for use in your DAW, immediately. They behave exactly the same as if you "owned" them. You're paying for a service to access any and all of the Roland plugins that you choose. Once you stop paying for that service, all those plugins won't work anymore.

Exception - as a bonus/reward for a full years' worth of paying for the service (and as an incentive to subscribe), you get the option for one nominated plugin to not stop working if you decide to stop paying - which is a nice bonus. But it is not the point of paying for the service.

If you don't like the service, or the terms, it's not for you. It certainly isn't for everybody...
Caine123
KVRAF

5142 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Postby Caine123; Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:43 pm Re: Roland Cloud

beely wrote:I think people are getting a bit too hung on the "if you wanted to own it" stuff.

Once you started paying for the service, the plugins are available for use in your DAW, immediately. They behave exactly the same as if you "owned" them. You're paying for a service to access any and all of the Roland plugins that you choose. Once you stop paying for that service, all those plugins won't work anymore.

Exception - as a bonus/reward for a full years' worth of paying for the service (and as an incentive to subscribe), you get the option for one nominated plugin to not stop working if you decide to stop paying - which is a nice bonus. But it is not the point of paying for the service.

If you don't like the service, or the terms, it's not for you. It certainly isn't for everybody...

i agree, but i think they added the bonus ESPECIALLY for the people (like me) who want to "OWN" (wrong word but i use it now :)) a plugin. im subscribed for some plugins which i would pay $240 which is too much normally but well i love jv-1080 for example, what i hate is that the SRX plugin is a seperate one so i would have to spend for EACH SRX card, this is nonsense! if i would stop this service and would love to OWN them.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 2nd Gen 18i20 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit
beely
KVRAF

1528 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Postby beely; Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:53 pm Re: Roland Cloud

Yes, it is an incentive to gain more subscribers. Seems to be working, too!

Of course, should they go back to selling individual plugins, that would more or less kill their subscription business overnight, and they've obviously done the maths/forecasting to come to the conclusion that the subs service will make them more money.

It's not my preferred way of using these plugins either...
fmr
KVRAF

Postby fmr; Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:57 pm Re: Roland Cloud

beely wrote:Yes, it is an incentive to gain more subscribers. Seems to be working, too!

Of course, should they go back to selling individual plugins, that would more or less kill their subscription business overnight, and they've obviously done the maths/forecasting to come to the conclusion that the subs service will make them more money.

At least, having a subscription, means that they also have to keep things improving, and new things coming, which is something NEW to Roland, which used to launch something, launch an update or two, and then abandon the product. With the subscription they have to keep updating ALL OF THEM.

Surely, they did NOT update the GUIs of the Jupiter and the Juno, though :x
Fernando (FMR)
teacue
KVRist

490 posts since 22 Jun, 2003, from Germany

Postby teacue; Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:05 am Re: Roland Cloud

Though I have a TR-8 I am really happy to be able to use the TR-808 as VST.

I am just wondering (dreaming) if one day the JD-Xi and the JD-XA will come to the cloud!
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube
krreed
KVRer

29 posts since 6 Aug, 2014

Postby krreed; Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:02 pm Re: Roland Cloud

For professional studios which use lots of sounds all the time the cloud service may be a good deal but not for a home studio and gig musician like me. No interest in the cloud, but Roland could sell more if they make plugins available for purchase.
robotmonkey
KVRAF

1965 posts since 20 Jun, 2012

Postby robotmonkey; Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:58 am Re: Roland Cloud

fmr wrote:
beely wrote:Yes, it is an incentive to gain more subscribers. Seems to be working, too!

At least, having a subscription, means that they also have to keep things improving, and new things coming, which is something NEW to Roland, which used to launch something, launch an update or two, and then abandon the product. With the subscription they have to keep updating ALL OF THEM.

They don't. They could easily drop the whole cloud thing. Cloud services disappear all the time. Sometimes even over night and without warning. In this case one would be left with nothing to use for their money at all.

Also, sooner or later they will run out of the interesting stuff and it will be more piano libraries and such.
No signature here!
SLiC
KVRAF

2459 posts since 2 Dec, 2004, from North Wales

Postby SLiC; Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:39 am Re: Roland Cloud

robotmonkey wrote:
fmr wrote:

They don't. They could easily drop the whole cloud thing. Cloud services disappear all the time. Sometimes even over night and without warning. In this case one would be left with nothing to use for their money at all.

Also, sooner or later they will run out of the interesting stuff and it will be more piano libraries and such.

If you pay monthly there is no risk, infact you can subscribe for a few months whiulest doing a project, then stop, then start afagin 6 month later....its pretty flexible- pay as yoiu use...I have a ton of VST's that I 'bought' but now neve use (beter stuff has come out and replaced it) or stuff has just stoped being developed/supported (I am looking at you Alchemy!) -owning it doesnt always help....

As for Roland 'running out' of new stuff to put up...by that time (if every instrument/sound roland have ever made is in the cloud) I think subscription will be evn better value!
Current Gear: i7 Win 10 + Surface, BWS, StudioOne 4, X32 Desk. Rubicon R8s, DM12, P8, Virus TI, System 1m, Korg ARP, P6, Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, OT, MPC Live, OP-1, Mother 32, Dominion Club, Roland TD8 and HPD-20, Guitars, Basses and Amps
fmr
KVRAF

Postby fmr; Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:02 am Re: Roland Cloud

robotmonkey wrote: They don't. They could easily drop the whole cloud thing. Cloud services disappear all the time. Sometimes even over night and without warning. In this case one would be left with nothing to use for their money at all.

As was pointed out. you pay as you go, so, if Roland abandons the Cloud, you just lose the chance to use the plug-ins, but you don't pay anymore either.

Also, I think there isn't a risk of Roland running out of content. They can, for example, do "remixes" of the old instruments, creating new versions, with more features added, like many builders do when they "emulate" the old stuf, or create "hybrid" versions. TWe are talking about software, and the possibilities are limitless. You just have to use your imagination. So, no, I don't think they risk to run out of content, as long as they want to create more. And when the portfolio reaches the 20 or more instruments, maintaining them will be already a job that takes a lot of time and work.

Anyway, although I don't like the subscroption model either, I recognize that it isn't so bad, after all, as long as they keep their commitment.
Fernando (FMR)
robotmonkey
KVRAF

Postby robotmonkey; Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:13 am Re: Roland Cloud

SLiC wrote:If you pay monthly there is no risk, infact you can subscribe for a few months whiulest doing a project, then stop, then start afagin 6 month later....its pretty flexible- pay as yoiu use...I have a ton of VST's that I 'bought' but now neve use (beter stuff has come out and replaced it) or stuff has just stoped being developed/supported (I am looking at you Alchemy!) -owning it doesnt always help....

As for Roland 'running out' of new stuff to put up...by that time (if every instrument/sound roland have ever made is in the cloud) I think subscription will be evn better value!

Alchemy actually illustrates my point perfectly. My copy of Alchemy runs just fine and will continue to run fine until there's no drastic changes to Windows or VST architecture. I can open any old project from years a go and continue to work on it.

With Roland Cloud, when I tried it, half of the time I could not even run their plugins because their authorization servers were crapping out all the time. The simple fact is that as soon as they shut down their cloud you are left with nothing.

I agree that it's not bad if you want a rent a piece of gear for a concrete project and then print everything. But over long term it just waste of money. Also there's assumption that one would want everything from the Cloud. The more realistic case is that there's couple of useful plugins that one is interested and the rest is pointless ballast. It's the equivalent of your tons of unused VST plugins, except you continue to pay for them.
No signature here!
robotmonkey
KVRAF

Postby robotmonkey; Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:17 am Re: Roland Cloud

fmr wrote:
Also, I think there isn't a risk of Roland running out of content. They can, for example, do "remixes" of the old instruments, creating new versions, with more features added, like many builders do when they "emulate" the old stuf, or create "hybrid" versions. TWe are talking about software, and the possibilities are limitless. You just have to use your imagination. So, no, I don't think they risk to run out of content, as long as they want to create more. And when the portfolio reaches the 20 or more instruments, maintaining them will be already a job that takes a lot of time and work.

Anyway, although I don't like the subscroption model either, I recognize that it isn't so bad, after all, as long as they keep their commitment.

I think this was discussed before this thread, but there's not that many interesting synths in their lineup and sooner or later they will run out of their legacy stuff. That they have resulted to making every srx board as a separate synth kind of indicates this. Imagine if Korg had released all the M1 and Wavestation PCM exapnsion cards as separate synths. We would all consider it to have been ludicrous.

Of course, Roland can also start developing new synths for their cloud platform, I definitely see that option.
No signature here!
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments