Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
MFXxx
KVRAF

2824 posts since 27 Mar, 2010, from UK

Postby MFXxx; Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:50 am Re: Roland Cloud

It's too much monthly over the long term, I am confident everyone will result in paying for a high proportion of content they won't use. This in my opinion, as the range expands, the model fails. I believe they will eventually have package subscriptions ie drum maschines, sound modules, sample packs etc. Maybe!
I understand the attraction, but its way too higher a monthly fee, unless you are going to use it all.
Image7820x 4.6ghz • 32GB Ram • 1050TI • SSDs & Hybrid Drives • RME FF800 • Adams A7X • Maschine • Analog Keys • Virus TI • JD800 • JV1080 • x0xb0x
SLiC
KVRAF

2459 posts since 2 Dec, 2004, from North Wales

Postby SLiC; Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:01 am Re: Roland Cloud

I see people saying the cloud is a 'waste of money', but to be honest, 80% of my plugins cold fall in to that category as I simply don't use them anymore. The fact that I own them and that they are 'in my VST folder' doesn't really help me, a lot of impulse buys that I then never really used, just a couple of these (a year) pays for the subscription and I get new toys continuously to ease my gear lust....

I think the best is still to come- V synth, V drums, Roland effects and guitar modelling (VG-99 etc), there is a ton of really cool stuff and you would have to have a lot of 'anti cloud' principles or will power to resist getting it all for £150 a year.....

I have no issue with leasing (I lease my car as I want a new one every 3 years and don't want the hassle of buying and selling) and I love the MS 365 cloud subscription (I would never go back). It took me a while, but I have now come to terms with cloud VSTs as well...
Current Gear: i7 Win 10 + Surface, BWS, StudioOne 4, X32 Desk. Rubicon R8s, DM12, P8, Virus TI, System 1m, Korg ARP, P6, Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, OT, MPC Live, OP-1, Mother 32, Dominion Club, Roland TD8 and HPD-20, Guitars, Basses and Amps
Shiek927
KVRist

393 posts since 13 May, 2014

Postby Shiek927; Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:48 pm Re: Roland Cloud

I just really, really want a JD800/JD990 synth. There are other polysynths that would be cool, including the V-Synth just mentioned, but I would be satisfied if there were just a definitive JD plugin. It's what I've wanted for years :'D.
fmr
KVRAF

7131 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:07 am Re: Roland Cloud

Shiek927 wrote:I just really, really want a JD800/JD990 synth. There are other polysynths that would be cool, including the V-Synth just mentioned, but I would be satisfied if there were just a definitive JD plugin. It's what I've wanted for years :'D.

It's promised. So, it will just be a matter of time, because, up till know, they delivered everything they promised (except the revised Jupiter-8 and Juno-106 GUIs) :D
Fernando (FMR)
MrDuke
KVRist

123 posts since 9 Aug, 2009

Postby MrDuke; Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:45 am Re: Roland Cloud

Thought about the the pricing thing today (yet again, lol :D). I think it's a model that works sort of, if the product is absolutely essential to your work. If you do any graphical or video work, Adobe's CS package is essential.

There aren't any real alternatives to Photoshop for instance - but Roland's offering isn't essential, there are alternatives.

It's also a valid point, that you would be paying for a lot of stuff you won't use, instead of just the stuff you need and want.
fmr
KVRAF

Postby fmr; Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:54 am Re: Roland Cloud

MrDuke wrote:Thought about the the pricing thing today (yet again, lol :D). I think it's a model that works sort of, if the product is absolutely essential to your work. If you do any graphical or video work, Adobe's CS package is essential.

There aren't any real alternatives to Photoshop for instance - but Roland's offering isn't essential, there are alternatives.

It's also a valid point, that you would be paying for a lot of stuff you won't use, instead of just the stuff you need and want.

The same apply to Photoshop, no? AFAIK, you don't have a subscriptiuon ONLY for Photoshop, you have to subscribe to the entire Suite, which is quite expensive, and in the end, you'll be using just Photoshop :shrug:

Anyway, the model is here, and Roland already made it clear that's a take it or leave it option, so...
Fernando (FMR)
beely
KVRAF

1528 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Postby beely; Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:56 am Re: Roland Cloud

MrDuke wrote:It's also a valid point, that you would be paying for a lot of stuff you won't use, instead of just the stuff you need and want.

Sure, but you can apply that to anything. You buy a hammer for the times you need to bash some nails in - the rest of the time it sits there unused.

With stuff like the Adobe Creative Cloud and Roland Cloud stuff, you are paying to access the huge range of tools for whatever purpose you want - how you use them is up to you.

Basically, it's an all-you-can-eat buffet - the more you can eat, the more value you can get from the service.

At least with the Roland stuff, you can say "For this project, I want to use the D50 and JP8", pay your $20 for the month, and use those tools on your project, just like you'd hired them in. Make sure you render to audio anything should you need to remix it at a later stage without having to need the authorised plugins again - and if you do, you can always rent another month again.

With the regular model, to do the same thing you'd need to buy both the D50 and JP8 upfront, at say $300, to use them on your project. Not good value for money if you just wanted them for that project only - but of course, again, if you use them on *all* the stuff you do from then on, the more value you get from your licence purchase.

We all have software we purchased, at not insignificant cost, that is sitting there unused (or old, deprecated and no longer functional). It's really jut how you choose to look at things. The Cloud rental model can actually have some good points, but it really depends on the individual. Clearly long-term "renting" is more expensive over a single purchase, and any small regular costs will add up significantly over time, be it cigarettes, drink, coffee, whatever...
beely
KVRAF

Postby beely; Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:59 am Re: Roland Cloud

fmr wrote:AFAIK, you don't have a subscriptiuon ONLY for Photoshop, you have to subscribe to the entire Suite, which is quite expensive, and in the end, you'll be using just Photoshop :shrug:

No, you can do single app subscriptions.

But even with that, Photoshop itself has *thousands* of internal tools - so if you are using it (eg) just to resize graphics, you're *using* it, but only using 1% of the app - but paying 100% of the subscription service for the full set of thousands of tools you aren't using... :)

Not to mention buying patch libraries of 128 patches where you only find 20-30 patches usable for your music... it goes on and on... :)
EvilDragon
KVRAF

16273 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:33 am Re: Roland Cloud

fmr wrote:
Shiek927 wrote:I just really, really want a JD800/JD990 synth. There are other polysynths that would be cool, including the V-Synth just mentioned, but I would be satisfied if there were just a definitive JD plugin. It's what I've wanted for years :'D.

It's promised. So, it will just be a matter of time, because, up till know, they delivered everything they promised (except the revised Jupiter-8 and Juno-106 GUIs) :D

Promars also has a horrid GUI, as do SH-2 and System-1/8/100 (and let's not forget the retarded circular knob mouse behavior!). Not sure about SH-101 and others, they might be the same (once you zoom above 100%, it's blur city)? They started with better GUIs with D-50 AFAIK, yeah?
Last edited by EvilDragon on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
EvilDragon
KVRAF

Postby EvilDragon; Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:35 am Re: Roland Cloud

MrDuke wrote:There aren't any real alternatives to Photoshop for instance

Affinity Photo, for example.
beely
KVRAF

Postby beely; Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:51 am Re: Roland Cloud

EvilDragon wrote:They started with better GUIs with D-50 AFAIK, yeah?

Yes, the D50/1080/SRX etc have better gui's that are native at 200% size, rather than native at 100% size and looking dreadful when made larger.

They still use circular knob behaviour, though the D50/1080 etc tend to use more sliders so it's not an issue here.

They're not brilliant, but are much better than the earlier plugin interfaces which are pretty poor, imo. Hopefully they'll all get upgraded, and more people will moan about circular knob behaviour on their Facebook so they'll get the message...
EvilDragon
KVRAF

Postby EvilDragon; Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:52 am Re: Roland Cloud

Sadly I don't use FB so can't be annoying for them to change it. I hope others will bitch instead :)
SLiC
KVRAF

2459 posts since 2 Dec, 2004, from North Wales

Postby SLiC; Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:55 am Re: Roland Cloud

EvilDragon wrote:
fmr wrote:

Promars also has a horrid GUI, as do SH-2 and System-1/8/100 (and let's not forget the retarded circular knob mouse behavior!). Not sure about SH-101 and others, they might be the same (once you zoom above 100%, it's blur city)? They started with better GUIs with D-50 AFAIK, yeah?

All the early plug ins up to the D50 have horrible GUI's that need to be resized to at least 150% on any decent monitor which then looks blurry (and it doesn't remember size, so you have to do it EVERY time you launch). They do sound very good though and they did fix the CPU issue, so I do expect an overhaul at some point but I don't mind if they put the 909 up first ;-)

Regarding V-Synth- when this comes I suspect a lot of anti-cloud people may reconsider! :wink:
Current Gear: i7 Win 10 + Surface, BWS, StudioOne 4, X32 Desk. Rubicon R8s, DM12, P8, Virus TI, System 1m, Korg ARP, P6, Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, OT, MPC Live, OP-1, Mother 32, Dominion Club, Roland TD8 and HPD-20, Guitars, Basses and Amps
EvilDragon
KVRAF

Postby EvilDragon; Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:59 am Re: Roland Cloud

I'm not sure if they'd do the V-Synth...Did they confirm it?
fmr
KVRAF

Postby fmr; Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:12 am Re: Roland Cloud

EvilDragon wrote:I'm not sure if they'd do the V-Synth...Did they confirm it?

They didn't, but I sure hope they do :) Besides being a logical step, it will be their best option, and certainly a BIG sales argument.
Fernando (FMR)
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments