Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
wave alchemy
KVRist

263 posts since 29 Jun, 2009

Postby wave alchemy; Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:38 am Re: Who's getting the new Wave Alchemy Revolution Drum machine?

Hey Guys,

Studio One Expert (an offshoot of Pro Tools Expert) have just done an in depth video review of Revolution, which covers some of the questions asked earlier in this thread. It's well worth checking out if you'd like to see Revolution in action and find out more about the instrument kfhkh

http://youtu.be/8WBMZRSb31M
www.wavealchemy.co.uk

specializing in the development of cutting-edge 24-bit sample libraries
Gribs
KVRian

834 posts since 9 Feb, 2007, from San Ramon, California

Postby Gribs; Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:33 pm Re: Who's getting the new Wave Alchemy Revolution Drum machine?

A steps number parameter for each drum sound would be cool for polyrhythms.

Is the upgrade price offered at this time or was it an early bird special sort of thing? I don't see a way to do the upgrade price on WaveAlchemy's web site.
------------------------------------------
Gribs
wave alchemy
KVRist

Postby wave alchemy; Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:51 am Re: Who's getting the new Wave Alchemy Revolution Drum machine?

Gribs wrote:A steps number parameter for each drum sound would be cool for polyrhythms.

Is the upgrade price offered at this time or was it an early bird special sort of thing? I don't see a way to do the upgrade price on WaveAlchemy's web site.

Polyrhythmic sequencer functionality would indeed be a very powerful (and fun) feature to have! I will speak to Matthew (co-developer) to see if this could be possible in the future :D

In regards to the upgrade offer - assuming you own one (or more) of our previous instruments, yes, this is still available! Please contact us via our website contact form and I will help you out :tu:

http://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/contact/
www.wavealchemy.co.uk

wave alchemy
KVRist

Postby wave alchemy; Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:46 am Re: Who's getting the new Wave Alchemy Revolution Drum machine?

PastorTheDoctor wrote:Thank you Wave Alchemy for this gem and for your interest in feedback! Been waiting for something like this for a long time! :clap:
I have a very very way more basic question about the step sequencer: I'd like to implement Revolution in my live sets with Ableton Live, and I like the step sequencer. What's the difference in using MIDI region from DAW that send MIDI message to Revolution (which plays), and using the step sequencer? And in terms of syncing with the global project?

I'd like to use drum pads (I was thinkin bout Roland SPD), can I still use them with the step sequencer in any way? The pads should be switching from an instrument to another (alternating between playing drum samples like yours and generic audio samples).

Thanks for the kind words, and you're very welcome :)

With Revolution there are multiple ways of triggering and syncing the instrument with your project / DAW:

1. Do everything inside of Revolution itself, including sequencing and turn on Revolution's 'Host Sync' button. This now syncs Revolution to your DAW, so when you press play in Ableton, Revolution will also start.

2. 'Disable' the Host Sync button in Revolution. On the MIDI track that Revolution is assigned to, open up the piano roll /sequencer view and draw in note F2. This will now start the sequencer of Revolution in time with your track. There are also other MIDI Key commands that can trigger different saved patterns so that you can build full drum tracks and also stop patterns at any time using F3.

3. Create some patterns within Revolution using the sequencer and then simply use the 'MIDI Drag + Drop' function of Revolution. This is at the top of the Revolution interface. You now have the exact pattern you have created but inside Ableton's own piano roll. Now you can copy and paste, edit and duplicate this pattern to create full drum track just like you would with any other VST / Drum Machine.

4. Bypass Revolution's sequencer altogether and draw in the MIDI notes directly in your DAW's piano roll / sequencer (the same way you'd program most VSTs). The different drum voices in Revolution can be triggered / sequenced in your DAW using the following MIDI keys:

Bass Drum 1 : C1
Bass Drum 2 : C2
Snare Drum 1 : D1
Snare Drum 2 : E1
Tom 1 : F1
Tom 2 : G1
Tom 3 : A1
Hihat 1 : F#1
Hihat 2 : G#1
Hihat 3 : A#1
Cymbal 1 : C#2
Cymbal 2 : D#2
Perc 1 : C#1
Perc 2 : D#1

In regards to your question about MIDI drum pads. Yes, if you can assign your drum pads to the same MIDI notes as mentioned in the list above, you can trigger and play each drum using your pads. You can also set Revolution's step sequencer to 'record' mode and now when you play a groove with your drum pads, this will be recorded into Revolution's sequencer :)
www.wavealchemy.co.uk

PastorTheDoctor
KVRer

20 posts since 22 Feb, 2017, from Italy

Postby PastorTheDoctor; Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:57 am Re: Who's getting the new Wave Alchemy Revolution Drum machine?

wave alchemy wrote:In regards to your question about MIDI drum pads. Yes, if you can assign your drum pads to the same MIDI notes as mentioned in the list above, you can trigger and play each drum using your pads. You can also set Revolution's step sequencer to 'record' mode and now when you play a groove with your drum pads, this will be recorded into Revolution's sequencer :)

Thank you for your whole explanation :clap:
Going in depth into my Live project, I'd like to keep my MIDI controllers (such as the pads) at the DAW level, so that they are mapped at a global level and their function changes depending on which track is armed (i. e.: SPD pads are controlling Revolution's sequencer while the drums track is armed; they are controlling some samples while a sampler instrument is armed). Is it possible?
Sounds Outside
KVRer

14 posts since 23 Dec, 2016

Postby Sounds Outside; Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:00 am Re: Who's getting the new Wave Alchemy Revolution Drum machine?

Hi PastorTheDoctor! Glad to hear you are interested in Revolution.

That is indeed the exact way the instrument works. It only receives incoming MIDI when you have the track selected and armed. The sequencer can be fully controlled via MIDI including start, stop, pattern switching, sequencing and many other features as well.

Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions :)
arnou
KVRer

1 post since 13 Oct, 2015

Postby arnou; Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:15 pm Re: Who's getting the new Wave Alchemy Revolution Drum machine?

Hi,

I have just made an Ableton Live project file for PUSH with nice features which is saved as default Live preset. :)

- Playing notes remapped for Ableton drumrack, which follows the GUI. (BD1-pad 1, BD2-pad2, SD1-pad3...and so on) 1st row for BD1-2, SD1-2, 2nd row for Tom1-2-3, 3rd HH1-2-3, 4th Cym1-2, Perc1-2
- If you choose 64pad mode on Push drumrack you have access on one page for the: 14 drum sounds, 12 pattern, record, erase, midiselect, patterncopy, stutter, seq.reverse. So you don't need to page anywhere.
- There is around 12 banks which is named like 'Main' , 'Pitch', 'Filter' 'BD1'...instead of Bank1 Bank2...etc. So you will know where you are. Also all encoder function names shown as on GUI. You can see the value 0-127.
- For reaching the features in the middle line of gui, like Samples , Filter+Envelopes, Pitch+Envelopes, Random you dont need to switch between banks only hit the pad and tweak.
- FX Shaper menu EQ menu also tweakable. :)
- I couldnt find the way to map focused the Vol, Pan,Dly,Rev, Solo,Mute which follows the actual sound selected by push pad, so each of them has own banks. It has no mapping for switching drummodules. If someone knows how to do let me know pls.
- Audio also routed to 10+1 channels (Master, BD1, BD2, SD1-2, Tom1-2-3, Hi1-2, Hi2, Cym1-2, Perc1, Perc2) + one channel for MasterFX
- A maxforlive device added to channel if you want to tweak any selected live parameter from Live.

If someone needs just pm me or i can upload somewhere...+any valuable upgrade welcome :)

-
cranium
KVRist

146 posts since 16 Sep, 2005

Postby cranium; Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:19 am Re: Who's getting the new Wave Alchemy Revolution Drum machine?

Any thoughts on Revolution 1.1?
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

5406 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:32 am Re: Who's getting the new Wave Alchemy Revolution Drum machine?

cranium wrote:Any thoughts on Revolution 1.1?

Certainly happy to have the module version. Will be great with things like Bitwig's drum rack.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
Nipogadzauba
KVRer

4 posts since 13 Feb, 2016

Postby Nipogadzauba; Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:40 am Re: Who's getting the new Wave Alchemy Revolution Drum machine?

great job on update. Revolution module is really helpful, but is it possible to make module le version? I am asking because although i have 16gb ram, 10 revolution modules eat it all up and i can't make huge rack with them. Freezing/sampling helps but is it possible for modules to use less ram?
wave alchemy
KVRist

Postby wave alchemy; Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:02 am Re: Who's getting the new Wave Alchemy Revolution Drum machine?

Nipogadzauba wrote:great job on update. Revolution module is really helpful, but is it possible to make module le version? I am asking because although i have 16gb ram, 10 revolution modules eat it all up and i can't make huge rack with them. Freezing/sampling helps but is it possible for modules to use less ram?

The reason that the 'Module' still uses a large amount of RAM is that currently each module is loaded into a separate instance of Kontakt, each having access to the full set of drum machines / samples.

To massively lower the RAM usage we could create a separate instrument / NKI file for each and every drum machine type - so that each module only has one sound and you can choose which module to load.

We are actually looking at doing this in the future, as understand that this could be useful for those with less RAM, and for those who want to load tons of Modules. We are not sure when this will happen yet, but we are certainly looking into it :D
www.wavealchemy.co.uk

wald
KVRist

152 posts since 28 Dec, 2012

Postby wald; Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:23 pm Re: Who's getting the new Wave Alchemy Revolution Drum machine?

wave alchemy wrote:
Nipogadzauba wrote:great job on update. Revolution module is really helpful, but is it possible to make module le version? I am asking because although i have 16gb ram, 10 revolution modules eat it all up and i can't make huge rack with them. Freezing/sampling helps but is it possible for modules to use less ram?

The reason that the 'Module' still uses a large amount of RAM is that currently each module is loaded into a separate instance of Kontakt, each having access to the full set of drum machines / samples.

But you had a perfectly working module version before (with TR MK II). It uses half the CPU on my system. :?
wave alchemy
KVRist

Postby wave alchemy; Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:48 am Re: Who's getting the new Wave Alchemy Revolution Drum machine?

wald wrote:
wave alchemy wrote:

But you had a perfectly working module version before (with TR MK II). It uses half the CPU on my system. :?

The Modules for Transistor Revolution did not allow you to select any sound or multiple drum machines from one single interface / module, thus holding only a small amount of samples.

In TR< we had a separate NKI / Instrument for every single sound (808 kick, 909 snare, hi hats, toms etc etc). This is what we are looking into doing for Revolution in the future - to give people the option.

It will make things a little more messy, but it will lower the RAM usage somewhat :)
www.wavealchemy.co.uk

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

5406 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:44 am Re: Who's getting the new Wave Alchemy Revolution Drum machine?

What about having a separate module for every type of instrument rather than every individual instrument? E.g. A kick module, a snare module, Tom module etc.? Usually a user knows the type of drum they want in a specific place so just being able to switch those while maintaining settings would be good. And maybe help the ram.

Also, does purging help?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
wald
KVRist

152 posts since 28 Dec, 2012

Postby wald; Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:49 am Re: Who's getting the new Wave Alchemy Revolution Drum machine?

wave alchemy wrote:The Modules for Transistor Revolution did not allow you to select any sound or multiple drum machines from one single interface / module, thus holding only a small amount of samples.

In TR< we had a separate NKI / Instrument for every single sound (808 kick, 909 snare, hi hats, toms etc etc). This is what we are looking into doing for Revolution in the future - to give people the option.

It will make things a little more messy, but it will lower the RAM usage somewhat :)

I don't see how it's "messy". In Machine, if I wanted a BD I loaded the BD module, if I wanted a HH I loaded a HH module.

Not only does the new module add a lot of CPU (which is substantial once you load several modules), it now has completely uninformative labels ("Analog 1", "Analog 2" etc. in Maschine) and does not display values.

All in all, these "improvements" slow down my workflow considerably.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments