Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
spunkmuffin
KVRist
 
405 posts since 5 Sep, 2014

Postby spunkmuffin; Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:12 pm Re: Bazille - most misunderstood synth?

I'm putting the oscillator outputs into the lag generators, then into the modulators along with all of the envelopes and am wondering how in the world Urs and Co. ever got this thing working. A totally bonkers project and a miracle it even works.
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:
Dasheesh
KVRAF
 
1854 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Postby Dasheesh; Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:29 pm Re: Bazille - most misunderstood synth?

spunkmuffin wrote:I'm putting the oscillator outputs into the lag generators, then into the modulators along with all of the envelopes and am wondering how in the world Urs and Co. ever got this thing working. A totally bonkers project and a miracle it even works.



The whole thing is a constant circuit that continuously runs. When you start a note on it runs through all modules, whether they are being used or not. That is my understanding from an interview I read or saw somewhere.
Dasheesh
KVRAF
 
1854 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Postby Dasheesh; Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:32 pm Re: Bazille - most misunderstood synth?

oh yeah, and I heard him say it does it at 2* oversampling in some thread so it does it twice.
spunkmuffin
KVRist
 
405 posts since 5 Sep, 2014

Postby spunkmuffin; Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:13 pm Re: Bazille - most misunderstood synth?

There must be a lot of limiting of parameters going on. I would like to hear what Bazille sounds like with all that Urs has learnt from Repro-1. Just doing that would be a massive project I think and maybe not worthwhile. I am sure there would be something to be gained just by increasing the internal clock rate. I wonder what it is compared to Repro-1.
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:
ftech
KVRian
 
984 posts since 7 Oct, 2004, from Australia

Postby ftech; Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:12 pm Re: Bazille - most misunderstood synth?

andrew71 wrote:After getting ACE recently I've been demo'ing Bazille and loving it. Now I'm trying to decide whether to buy it from JRR or wait for a really good deal in the marketplace forum...


U-he are doing a survey currently. If you complete that and provide your email, they are supposed to be sending out $25 vouchers.
http://survey.sogosurvey.com/k/RQsRVSUVsXsPsPsP
User avatar
Urs
u-he
 
21137 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:03 pm Re: Bazille - most misunderstood synth?

Terrafractyl wrote:Lag gen is usually called a Slew limiter, just to confuse things ever more.

A slew rate limiter has a subtle difference to a lag generator.

A slew rate limiter defines a maximum slope that can not be exceeded no matter how reference voltage and output voltage differ, as output voltage fades towards reference voltage. On a high difference, the fade is a linear ramp.

A lag generator is essentially a lowpass filter. The slope is defined by the difference of reference and output voltage and a factor (corresponds to cutoff frequency). As the difference in voltage closes over time, the slope becomes flatter. The fade looks like an exponential ramp. To describe a lag generator in aterm corresponding to slew, I'd call it a "slew damper" rather than limiter, because there is no maximum steepnes for the slew rate.

Now, there's a reason we called it "lag" instead of "filter". That is, we added Attack and Release parameters. Hence, there's a different cutoff frequency going on for slopes that change towards zero and slopes pointing away from it. This is essentially the same functionality that an envelope follower provides for, but traditionally envelope followers convert audio signals to modulation purpose (compressors...) whereas lag generators (like slew rate limiters) are traditionally used to smooth out modulation signals.

Nothing stops anyone from using the Lag Generators in Bazille as envelope followers (or filters even), it's the same thing, really, but we had to come up with a single name and we chose former because we expected this to be the more typical use case within Bazille.
incubus
KVRAF
 
5733 posts since 6 May, 2015

Postby incubus; Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:06 pm Re: Bazille - most misunderstood synth?

Never mind, was reading a different page, seems things are normal now.
User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
 
8671 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:07 pm Re: Bazille - most misunderstood synth?

incubus wrote:Never mind, was reading a different page, seems things are normal now.


No need to apologize. This is a great synth and we've had some great discussion on it.
Dasheesh
KVRAF
 
1854 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Postby Dasheesh; Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:29 pm Re: Bazille - most misunderstood synth?

Urs wrote:
Terrafractyl wrote:Lag gen is usually called a Slew limiter, just to confuse things ever more.

A slew rate limiter has a subtle difference to a lag generator.

A slew rate limiter defines a maximum slope that can not be exceeded no matter how reference voltage and output voltage differ, as output voltage fades towards reference voltage. On a high difference, the fade is a linear ramp.

A lag generator is essentially a lowpass filter. The slope is defined by the difference of reference and output voltage and a factor (corresponds to cutoff frequency). As the difference in voltage closes over time, the slope becomes flatter. The fade looks like an exponential ramp. To describe a lag generator in aterm corresponding to slew, I'd call it a "slew damper" rather than limiter, because there is no maximum steepnes for the slew rate.

Now, there's a reason we called it "lag" instead of "filter". That is, we added Attack and Release parameters. Hence, there's a different cutoff frequency going on for slopes that change towards zero and slopes pointing away from it. This is essentially the same functionality that an envelope follower provides for, but traditionally envelope followers convert audio signals to modulation purpose (compressors...) whereas lag generators (like slew rate limiters) are traditionally used to smooth out modulation signals.

Nothing stops anyone from using the Lag Generators in Bazille as envelope followers (or filters even), it's the same thing, really, but we had to come up with a single name and we chose former because we expected this to be the more typical use case within Bazille.




See? Common sense.
User avatar
Mathematics
KVRist
 
147 posts since 10 Sep, 2015, from Another Dimension

Postby Mathematics; Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:05 pm Re: Bazille - most misunderstood synth?

ftech wrote:U-he are doing a survey currently. If you complete that and provide your email, they are supposed to be sending out $25 vouchers.
http://survey.sogosurvey.com/k/RQsRVSUVsXsPsPsP


Thanks. I'm wondering if these vouchers can be used on everyplugin.com.
ftech
KVRian
 
984 posts since 7 Oct, 2004, from Australia

Postby ftech; Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:09 pm Re: Bazille - most misunderstood synth?

I would assume it's the same as the vouchers they gave away last year, and only for their online shop. Might be worth checking with them though.
twal
KVRist
 
130 posts since 10 Feb, 2017

Postby twal; Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:58 pm Re: Bazille - most misunderstood synth?

Mathematics wrote:
ftech wrote:U-he are doing a survey currently. If you complete that and provide your email, they are supposed to be sending out $25 vouchers.
http://survey.sogosurvey.com/k/RQsRVSUVsXsPsPsP


Thanks. I'm wondering if these vouchers can be used on everyplugin.com.


That's the dream
m_d_p
KVRer
 
27 posts since 6 May, 2014

Postby m_d_p; Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:53 pm Re: Bazille - most misunderstood synth?

Mathematics wrote:
ftech wrote:U-he are doing a survey currently. If you complete that and provide your email, they are supposed to be sending out $25 vouchers.
http://survey.sogosurvey.com/k/RQsRVSUVsXsPsPsP


Thanks. I'm wondering if these vouchers can be used on everyplugin.com.



No. The coupons can only be used on u-he.com for software purchases (merchandise, soundsets and transfer tokens excluded).

- Michael
(u-he team)
Dasheesh
KVRAF
 
1854 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Postby Dasheesh; Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:41 am Re: Bazille - most misunderstood synth?

Not that it matters, but i'm just curious since you being technical...

If you double the modules does it double the curve?
User avatar
Urs
u-he
 
21137 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:24 pm Re: Bazille - most misunderstood synth?

Dasheesh wrote:Not that it matters, but i'm just curious since you being technical...

If you double the modules does it double the curve?

I would have to think about that. It probably does.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments