BW-Tron Beta Tests

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This new thread for those of you who are enthusiastic by the use Synthedit and Synthmaker plugins without any systematic whining attitude simply because Synthedit or Synthmaker.

Would some of you be kind to test the Mellotron emulation I have made in 2016 and which I'm currently finishing?

I'm open to any suggestion, knowing that:
  1. the tool is made to remain extremely simple;
  2. the effects are designed to provide a real 60's taste (the reason why the reverb sounds a bit metallic for example, to emulate the old real spring reverbs);
  3. the GUI is quite large because I have made it with the visually impaired persons in mind;
  4. I have got the authorization from Taijiguy to use his sample set and embed it in the plugin.
If you want to test this tool, you can download it here:
http://hsjp.eu/For_Taijiguy/BW-Tron.zip

Here is the GUI that you'll have on your screen:

Just a precision to end this post: please don't share it around you for the moment and don't talk too much about it for the moment outside this thread as long as I have not totally finished it. I would like to create a page in the KVR Database for it when it is finished. And I would like it to be done within January.

If you're OK, I let you test it and give me your impressions and suggestions for small improvements if any.

Some enhancements have already been suggested:

By cruba:
Cruba wrote:Uhuh... I will test it, but it will be hard to rate it in a fair way, because I think you can't do better than Artifrake_Lab. ;)

It would be nice to know:

1) Did you clean the samples?
2) Is a clickswitch planned?
3) Is a loopmode planned?

As I said, I'll test it today and give you feedback. Over 30 years I'm a big genesisfan now, you will get a precise feedback. ;)
My answer:
BlackWinny wrote:Hello !

Well, BW-Tron is not aimed at replacing RedTron.

During the last years I have encountered (and it is my case too) more and more people having visual issues with the readability of RedTron GUI.

Being in that case I decided to make mine (but with a commercial sample set, very comprehensive). It work so well that I then decided to make another one for freeware distribution using Taijiguy's sample set. I sent the product to Taijiguy who answered me that he was ok. So... here it is.

I didn't clean the samples, feeling that as they are they give a good impression of a real old instrument.

A click switch could be added, yes. It's a good idea.
And a loop mode can be planned for the future, yes.

By ras.s:
I can report it works perfectly fine on a 64bit Windows 7 with Bitwig's internal bit bridge.

Few things that I'd like to see;

- continuous fade between the A and B sounds. This isn't a big issue since the same result can be achieved setting it to play A+B and then adjusting the volume controls, but I think it would make it slightly easier to achieve the desired sound (effectively two knobs less).

- own attack and release controls for both sounds -- plus a pan knob for both.

- a optional key split point, so that the musician could play, say, string chords with the left hand and a flute melody with the right hand. In particular if paired with the previous request, there could be strings with slow attack and long decays and a flute sound with quick attack and decay.

You've laid it out nicely, I like that and the chorus sounds pleasant, especially with two string sounds playing. Good stuff, great direction to go with making your own instruments.
My answer:
Good ideas, ras.s !

I put them on the to-do list.

I think that there will be a version 2. Probably that I'll do the fade and the Attack/Realease/Pan idea for the current version 1.
And I think that I'll postpone the keyboard split to the version 2... simply because it is precisely a point that I have yet never broached in my experiments and I have absolutely no idea of what it needs regard to time.
:lol:

But your two first paragraphs, for the version 1, already I can say : yes!
:tu:
ras.s' reply:

I'm no Synthedit expert, but I guess you could approach it so that when the split option is activated, all notes below note number X (chosen from a dropdown list) go to sound A and every note above X go to sound B. But like I said, I'm not really familiar with Synthedit (damn I should have gotten it ten years ago..) so I have no idea how to implement it.
By Turello:
Hope You'll add an envelope section and some starting preset for the future!

PS: about the presets, I would suggest a few presets based on popular songs..
By sfd:
Just a small comment - for now.

Somebody suggested a pan knob. I'm against it. I like the GUI to be as clean as possible. With nothing more then the basic functions.

Second, I see no real point. You can pipe every single sound into whatev er speaker in a room full of speakers. If you like.

That would be some kind of "stereo". But honestly - the world is not stereo. The real world is - mono.

...and the real world sounds beautiful
My answer:
You're right. I would add that the Mellotron was mono.

A cross fade between A and B will be easy to make without any overload of the GUI. Simply by... an horizontal slider, very discrete, in the style of the 60's (the same style as the current knobs but smaller, knowing that everything is MIDI Learn anyway in this GUI). This cross fade is a good idea and I keep it. Remember, my friend, the little horizontal slider I made on the GUI of my phase distortion double synth (I think you have kept it). It is the same principle. But of course here in the current visual style of BW-Tron.

The Attack/Release on each sound is a good point too, and can be done also without overload : just below each list of sounds there is currently a big empty room at these two places under the lists. And of course the central attack/Release disappears... therefore there is no overload added to the current GUI.

It would give something like this (the slider is just an example to refine with better colors to fit for the current style of the GUI and I have not yet added its label):

That way the GUI is not overloaded and there are all the features which have been suggested (except the split) knowing that we stay for the moment on a mono design.
Other suggestions from sfd:
regarding MIDI Learn - As in all SynthEdit VST/VSTi the , MIDI Learn,settings can be saved in a preset or a bank. So you don't have to assign the MIDI CC every time you run the software. Just load the bank or preset with the saved settings.

A little divider line between the A/B features and the general features at teh bottom would be nice.

Experimental - I wonder how an A/B vu meter would appear like.
My answer:
sfd wrote:regarding MIDI Learn - As in all SynthEdit VST/VSTi the , MIDI Learn,settings can be saved in a preset or a bank. So you don't have to assign the MIDI CC every time you run the software. Just load the bank or preset with the saved settings.
Yes, the way Synthedit stores the MIDI Learn is a bit boring (in each preset !), so I'm trying to find a solution to create a special preset only for the MIDI Learn. But I'm not sure if I shall manage to...
:clown:
sfd wrote:A little divider line between the A/B features and the general features at teh bottom would be nice.
Yes.
sfd wrote:Experimental - I wonder how an A/B vu meter would appear like.
Hmm... but where to put it in that GUI without overloading it?
:hihi:
sfd's reply:
Regarding teh vu meter. I don't know. I guess it depends on how teh vu meter looks like. What different types of vu meters are there?
And my last reply:
To stay in a 60's traditional visual it should be a 60's traditional Vu-meter.
But now... would it bring a real interest to cost some room on the GUI? In addition, since there are two instruments in the GUI each one with its gain knob, there should be two vu-meters.
:scared:

So, here we are.

If more people would be kind to test it and bring some suggestions... feel free!
:hug:

And cruba, ras.s, Turello, and sfd, I'm happy to find you again here!
:D

Thank you everybody!
Jacques
Last edited by BlackWinny on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

If it is sample based, why not make a maize sampler version? It can be used by Mac users and 64bit users as well. I'm sure Big Cat will be able to help. Anyway, Looks great.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber

Advocator of free and open source software.

What is a "malze" sampler?

A 60s vu meter would of course look cool. But it would taek to much space. So that's a pity. But I like the idea of a 60s looking GUI. Where are teh wooden panels? :-)

sfd wrote:What is a "maize" sampler?

A 60s vu meter would of course look cool. But it would taek to much space. So that's a pity. But I like the idea of a 60s looking GUI. Where are teh wooden panels? :-)
It is a program for creating sample based vsts.

Paree wrote:
sfd wrote:What is a "maize" sampler?

It is a program for creating sample based vsts.
Ah, I see.
Thank's for the info ! :tu:

Is Maize free or not for non commercial purpose? I just see download and also a "purchase" page with a "friendly" hint to pay if you use commercial. Is that right?

Winny: Today I will test your baby... ;)

It looks like a payware to me: https://www.maizesoft.com/cms/?page_id=48

Cruba wrote:Is Maize free or not for non commercial purpose? I just see download and also a "purchase" page with a "friendly" hint to pay if you use commercial. Is that right?

Winny: Today I will test your baby... ;)
It sounds like a shareware to me.

Hello everybody!

No no, it is not a shareware, it is a true payware.

But the idea is interesting, I'm going to look deeper what can be done with it and if I can get the same quality and the same "nuances" I have managed to get with Synthedit.

I knew already some plugins made with it, they are quite a lot in the KVR database.

It's a pity that KVR uses square brackets in its URLs for the search tool. To watch these Maize made plugins: in your browser URL, open a new tab and copy/paste this line without forgetting the last characters:

Code: Select all

https://www.kvraudio.com/q.php?search=1&q=&de[]=ms
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

I've just read the documentation of Maize Sampler Editor. Unfortunately it would not fit. Here it is:
http://www.maizesoft.com/download/msp/document.pdf

The tool is nice to make very quickly a common sample player. But it is extremely rudimentary in its features. A product made with it can't provide tweaks on the modules, different filters, options, mathematical commands, effects (except a pre-made reverb), etc. And it loads only one instrument per plugin, so that it is impossible to have two sources like BW-Tron does.
  • 2 instrument sources is impossible in Maize.
  • Tweaks on the modules either.
  • The very slight instability I have made in the pitches to imitate an old used Mellotron, either.
  • The band-pass filter used to imitate accurately (way better than a simple low-pass filter) the Tone feature of the Mellotron, either.
  • The phaser either.
  • The chorus either (I want to add one, with only one knob, I have enough room for it), either.
  • The future split on the keyboard either.
I also want to provide 6 audio ouputs in BW-Tron:
1 : Main left
2 : Main right
3 : Raw left instrument A (direct from VCA, even if effects are used)
4 : Raw right instrument A (direct from VCA, even if effects are used)
5 : Raw left instrument B (direct from VCA, even if effects are used)
6 : Raw right instrument B (direct from VCA, even if effects are used)

This palette of 6 audio outputs gives a total liberty to the musician to add new own effects, even different effects on each of the two instruments.

BW-Tron is much more than a sample reader. It is a real instrument, with quite a good number of features.

All that... can be done only with Synthmaker or with Synthedit, unfortunately not with Maize. But I stick on Synthedit because the 64-bit (and Mac) edition is currently in development (I contribute to the beta tests) while Synthmaker will never be 64-bit nor Mac. And... I feel myself too old to begin to learn C++.

BlackWinny wrote:I've just read the documentation of Maize Sampler Editor. Unfortunately it would not fit. Here it is:
http://www.maizesoft.com/download/msp/document.pdf

The tool is nice to make very quickly a common sample player. But it is extremely rudimentary in its features. A product made with it can't provide tweaks on the modules, different filters, options, mathematical commands, effects (except a pre-made reverb), etc. And it loads only one instrument per plugin, so that it is impossible to have two sources like BW-Tron does.
  • 2 instrument sources is impossible in Maize.
  • Tweaks on the modules either.
  • The very slight instability I have made in the pitches to imitate an old used Mellotron, either.
  • The band-pass filter used to imitate accurately (way better than a simple low-pass filter) the Tone feature of the Mellotron, either.
  • The phaser either.
  • The chorus either (I want to add one, with only one knob, I have enough room for it), either.
  • The future split on the keyboard either.
I also want to provide 6 audio ouputs in BW-Tron:
1 : Main left
2 : Main right
3 : Raw left instrument A (direct from VCA, even if effects are used)
4 : Raw right instrument A (direct from VCA, even if effects are used)
5 : Raw left instrument B (direct from VCA, even if effects are used)
6 : Raw right instrument B (direct from VCA, even if effects are used)

This palette of 6 audio outputs gives a total liberty to the musician to add new own effects, even different effects on each of the two instruments.

BW-Tron is much more than a sample reader. It is a real instrument, with quite a good number of features.

All that... can be done only with Synthmaker or with Synthedit, unfortunately not with Maize. But I stick on Synthedit because the 64-bit (and Mac) edition is currently in development (I contribute to the beta tests) while Synthmaker will never be 64-bit nor Mac. And... I feel myself too old to begin to learn C++.

Cool. But is the dev of Synthedit Active anymore?

Paree wrote:Cool. But is the dev of Synthedit Active anymore?
The project is very active.

In the beta testers team we have a new edition of the beta version around once each 6 or 8 weeks. It is slow but it progresses.
:D

Hi Winny!

My betatest ended really fast... ...after loading the plug! lol

It's a well known (Cubase only?) issue. I don't have fast internet till tomorrow, but I wanted to answer this evening. Sorry, I tried to find an error message pic, but my inet is too slow. It's a pain. The message says something like Cubase was counting on 2 outputs but just found one.

The second one is just a tip. Maybe you are not aware of it. It's what I call the "sound out warning". ;)

Both on my page https://syntheditstepbystep.wordpress.c ... important/

It's the titles:

IMPORTANT: Delete Sound Out modules, before you export your projects to VST!

and

IMPORTANT: Be sure to have 2 Outputs

Cruba wrote:Hi Winny!

My betatest ended really fast... ...after loading the plug! lol

It's a well known (Cubase only?) issue. I don't have fast internet till tomorrow, but I wanted to answer this evening. Sorry, I tried to find an error message pic, but my inet is too slow. It's a pain. The message says something like Cubase was counting on 2 outputs but just found one.

The second one is just a tip. Maybe you are not aware of it. It's what I call the "sound out warning". ;)

Both on my page https://syntheditstepbystep.wordpress.c ... important/

It's the titles:

IMPORTANT: Delete Sound Out modules, before you export your projects to VST!

and

IMPORTANT: Be sure to have 2 Outputs
What version of Cubase did you try BW-Tron on?

Cubase Elements 6.

Return to “Instruments”