Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
MatthiasQ
KVRist

39 posts since 13 Apr, 2011, from Hamburg

Postby MatthiasQ; Thu May 11, 2017 5:54 am Re: Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

Hi there,

There is a new series of "Getting Started" videos dedicated to the Macro Page Designer and creating your own custom instrument in HALion 6.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkihDs-2CP2QvF7ANkY3npTGYeg4A94CY

Cheers from Hamburg,
Matthias
Matthias Quellmann - Senior Marketing Manager VSTi
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Sampleconstruct
KVRAF

13065 posts since 12 Oct, 2008, from Here and there

Postby Sampleconstruct; Mon May 15, 2017 9:09 am Re: Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

As someone asked about it on the Steinberg Halion forum, here is a quick and dirty demonstration (no voiceover) of how to setup sample start modulation in HALion 6, using a Quick Control in the matrix.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=iTuFDn9NeQE

----

and some of my latest Halion 6 sounds:

https://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/ ... r-halion-6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fCYMvtnYRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKmfrRkXz3U
Touch The Universe
KVRAF

2955 posts since 2 Oct, 2008

Postby Touch The Universe; Tue May 16, 2017 8:46 am Re: Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

Hi. I just wanted to share the news about a new sound library I made for all the Halion family - including Halion Sonic 3 and the free SE version. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5bsJDi ... e=youtu.be

The Celestial Spheres Sound Library contains 438 programs/presets using pure synthesis and multi-samples (including original Nord 2 Lead samples). Furthermore, the presets can be divided into two categories and can be purchased seperately. The Atmospheres Library (Pads, Soundscapes, Keys, Musical FX, Synth Choirs) and the Electronica Library (Leads, Plucks, Basses, Keys, Formant Choirs). Both are hybrid sound libraries containing original multi sampled material that is either layered with other multi-samples, or fused with live synthesis using any of Halion's excellent sythesis methods -- granular, wavetable, or VA. In addition, Celestial Spheres also includes original Nord Lead 2 multi-samples in addition to many dozens of unique, completely synthesized Halion instruments.

You can follow the thread here or check out the website for more info and audio demos :)
High Quality Soundsets with a generous amount of presets. The Latest: Nimbus Soundset for Largo.
http://www.touch-the-universe.com/
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

5346 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Sat May 20, 2017 4:36 am Re: Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

I posted this in the bitwig forum but it's more suited to this thread.

I finally downloaded the Halion demo and am very impressed. It looks like Halion works really well with mpe independent note pitch bending without any tweaks, so that's cool. However can anyone tell me how to assign the timbre(cc74) as per voice modulation in Halion? I don't see it as a source in the mod matrix list.

Also one gripe -it appears that when playing mono legato, you can't slide the pitch of a note on consecutive legato notes (such as when using the touch screen grid). Only the first one. This is a bummer. Only seems to work with retrigger type mono. But I haven't figured out all the modes. Anyone know about this?

Thanks!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
Touch The Universe
KVRAF

Postby Touch The Universe; Sat May 20, 2017 8:29 am Re: Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

Hi. I don't have Halion in front of me, but there is a "resume" option in one of the voice controls menus. I think that is what you are looking for. :wink: Also in the glide modes, try out quantized :)
High Quality Soundsets with a generous amount of presets. The Latest: Nimbus Soundset for Largo.
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Mon May 22, 2017 12:04 am Re: Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

Touch The Universe wrote:Hi. I don't have Halion in front of me, but there is a "resume" option in one of the voice controls menus. I think that is what you are looking for. :wink: Also in the glide modes, try out quantized :)

Thanks for the reply but I think I wasn't quite clear. I know how to turn legato on. The problem is, when legato is on (either resume or legato mode), I can not pitch bend with note expression on any notes but the first one played. So if you overlap a note with a second note (as you would in legato mode), you can't pitch bend the second note. I'm using the bitwig touch screen grid, but I imagine it would be the same with any other MPE controller. Haven't tested with a normal keyboard pitch bend either.

I also have another question: Say you wanted to layer a VA osc and a granular osc and send them through the same filter (with an envelope), how would you do that? I was surprised to find that each "oscillator" seems to be it's own full synth with a filter section and modulations and everything. I want to layer VA and granular and have them go through the same modulated filter. Not possible?

And finally - Has anyone noticed that loading the organ oscillator crashes the program? Happens with both the VST3 in bitwig and in standalone on windows for me.

cheers
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
aMUSEd
KVRAF

27810 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Mon May 22, 2017 12:17 am Re: Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

Echoes in the Attic wrote:And finally - Has anyone noticed that loading the organ oscillator crashes the program? Happens with both the VST3 in bitwig and in standalone on windows for me.

cheers

Not on Mac.
Sampleconstruct
KVRAF

Postby Sampleconstruct; Mon May 22, 2017 12:31 am Re: Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
I also have another question: Say you wanted to layer a VA osc and a granular osc and send them through the same filter (with an envelope), how would you do that? I was surprised to find that each "oscillator" seems to be it's own full synth with a filter section and modulations and everything. I want to layer VA and granular and have them go through the same modulated filter. Not possible?

Select both zones in the program tree, then batch edit filters and envelopes, as you already noticed, each zone has it's dedicated filter section, that's how Halion works. The filters in the FX section can't be modulated by anything other than Quick Controls (including the modulation wheel).
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Mon May 22, 2017 1:18 am Re: Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

Thanks for the info guys. So regarding filter routing, there would've no way to have a va osc layered with a granular osc which both go through two filters in parallel which are modulated. i guess there are parallel filter types so the closest thing is to edit both oscs at the same time as they both go through parallel filters in their own sections. That's surprising, I thought Halion was more flexible. Really the oscs are like self contained little synths. Guess I though it would be a more modular approach like falcon.

Oh well back to my original question. Can anyone tell me how to use cc74 as a modulator?
Touch The Universe
KVRAF

Postby Touch The Universe; Mon May 22, 2017 1:36 am Re: Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Thanks for the info guys. So regarding filter routing, there would've no way to have a va osc layered with a granular osc which both go through two filters in parallel which are modulated. i guess there are parallel filter types so the closest thing is to edit both oscs at the same time as they both go through parallel filters in their own sections. That's surprising, I thought Halion was more flexible. Really the oscs are like self contained little synths. Guess I though it would be a more modular approach like falcon.

Oh well back to my original question. Can anyone tell me how to use cc74 as a modulator?

This is a common question I've seen around a bit and had me wondering the same when I first started so I made a quick tutorial about it awhile ago :tu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MGVlrQv3WY

Edit** Okay, after reading again, I think you are trying to do something different. Do you want two layers to go through the same filter which is composed of two parallel filters or to modulate layers filters by the same source to acheive a parallel filter type effect?

There is a xy pad of 4 slots which each capable of being a different filter, so you could atleast have parallel filters in a single layer which can be modulated.
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Mon May 22, 2017 1:54 am Re: Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

Yeah assigning multiple filters to a macro is a workaround like I would do in Omnisphere. Just surprised the routing isn't possible in Halion.

More importantly, how to use cc74 as a mod source?
David
KVRist

185 posts since 5 Jan, 2003, from Brookings, OR

Postby David; Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:40 am Re: Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

Is there a complete list of Halion 6 content available anywhere? And are all the sounds/libraries/samples from earlier version included? I just listened to some demos of sounds from Halion 4 and wonder if those are still germain…

TIA!
Sampleconstruct
KVRAF

Postby Sampleconstruct; Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:15 am Re: Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

David wrote:Is there a complete list of Halion 6 content available anywhere? And are all the sounds/libraries/samples from earlier version included? I just listened to some demos of sounds from Halion 4 and wonder if those are still germain…

TIA!

This page shows the instruments and FX included in HALion 6, it's not the complete list you might have asked for, but you get an idea.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/v ... fects.html
fmr
KVRAF

5959 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:19 am Re: Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

David wrote:Is there a complete list of Halion 6 content available anywhere? And are all the sounds/libraries/samples from earlier version included? I just listened to some demos of sounds from Halion 4 and wonder if those are still germain…

TIA!

As someone who had HALion 4, upgraded to HALion 5 (for which I didn't receive any DVDs at first, just the installer for the instrument itself), and now HALion 6, and later downloaded the DVD images for HALion 5 and HALion 6, and reinstalled HALion 6 froms scratch after having made a backup copy of the library, what I can say is that all the sounds that came with HALion 4, as far as I can say, were there in HALIon 5, added by some (not many) and also that the same happened with HALion 6.

The only things that I missed were two libraries (see my previous posts), which were referenced as HALion Trial (not sure if v4 or v5, but probably v4). I cannot be sure, but I believe that these would be redundant in a full iunstallation, anyway. It seems to me that since at least HALion 4 the library have been a evolutionary project, with added sounds, but keeping the old ones.
Fernando (FMR)
David
KVRist

185 posts since 5 Jan, 2003, from Brookings, OR

Postby David; Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:55 am Re: Steinberg HALion 6 & HALion Sonic 3

Thanks guys—always good to have some enablers nearby:)
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments