MOK Waverazor

pekbro
KVRian

1291 posts since 29 Sep, 2010, from Maui

Postby pekbro; Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:48 am Re: MOK Waverazor

Aside from any wave/grain-table comparisons. Basically, you
have 4 oscillators, 3 source, 1 output. The source oscillators' each have
up to 4 slots that you can fill with different waveform types that
are combined to form it's final waveshape.

The output oscillator has 3 or 4? slots that are filled with "sanpshots"
from each source, these are stitched together to form the final output waveshape,
on the fly. I don't think well know exactly how all of that can be synced and modulated,
until the editor is released. I imagine it will be in ways that would be unavailable
in a linear, table based system.

Hope this helps, please realize its all just observation/speculation as I haven't even bothered to read the
manual at all. :D
foosnark
KVRAF

4100 posts since 9 Jan, 2003, from Saint Louis MO

Postby foosnark; Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:12 am Re: MOK Waverazor

The way I understand this is each oscillator is made up of N different sub-oscillators with definable shape, volume, frequency multiplier, phase offset, and DC offset; the oscillator rotates between each of the sub-oscillators at audio rate.

So let's say N is two. The first sub-oscillator is a sine, the second a downward linear ramp. You can set up everything so the overall waveform is simply a sine-shaped rise followed by a perfectly matched linear falloff, or you can create discontinuities by DC or phase offsetting the two shapes or flipping the phase, or you can make the sine go through a full cycle before it rises again to meet the saw, or make it go through 7 cycles or 1.25 cycles or 1.1411189827 cycles, and optionally hard sync that.

I expect some of the other features in the synth are dynamically modulating these pieces, rearranging their order after a number of cycles, etc. And it might also be modifying its rules for flipping between sub-oscillators in some way dependent on their phase. All that is kind of obscured.
lnikj
KVRAF

1572 posts since 23 May, 2005, from the North Cornwall coast

Postby lnikj; Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:09 am Re: MOK Waverazor

^ ^^ Thanks guys. That makes things a bit clearer in my head.

foosnark wrote:All that is kind of obscured.

To do with the patent maybe.
jc_vt
KVRian

740 posts since 27 May, 2012, from Vermont, USA

Postby jc_vt; Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:22 am Re: MOK Waverazor

I continue to find the technical design intriguing and innovative....shame I find the sound totally unappealing...
recursive one
KVRAF

3046 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Postby recursive one; Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:28 am Re: MOK Waverazor

lnikj wrote:^ ^^ Thanks guys. That makes things a bit clearer in my head.

foosnark wrote:All that is kind of obscured.

To do with the patent maybe.

Just to clarify, when applying for a patent one must clearly disclose all info relating to the invention, that's the difference between a patent and a know-how.

Btw, "patent pending" doesn't mean that there is something innovative or even useful, it only means that someone has found enough time to fill in all the necessary papers to file an application (or has hired a lawyer to do this).

I still don't quite understand how music software may be patented, must be a USA thing.
I hate incomplete sentences because they ...
chaosWyrM
KVRAF

1550 posts since 28 Apr, 2010, from NYC

Postby chaosWyrM; Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:08 pm Re: MOK Waverazor

foosnark wrote:Yeah, the settings file trick did it for me too.

"Sophia" was the old synth I was thinking of which this reminds me of.

I really think Waverazor's sound engine has enormous promise, but the decision to limit the basic synth editing was a mistake, and the UI design overall doesn't help sell the thing's abilities.

ssshhhhhh!!! :uhuhuh:

keep it down man. sophia is a "secret" weapon i still use all the time.
ImageImageImage
foosnark
KVRAF

Postby foosnark; Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:22 pm Re: MOK Waverazor

A track I made with Waverazor. Not really a demo, but it does show some of the noisy and droney shenanigans it can get up to (without approaching cleaner or more FM-like or fakebit tones).

The first 30 seconds is one instance, mostly modulating itself via a slow cycle time which I synced my tempo to. Throughout the whole track, that instance only has one parameter modulated, and the others aren't modulated at all. Then I've got a couple of stacked instances on pads, and later on another instance that does pads and an extra choppy rhythmic bit.

http://starthief.net/mp3/2017/Starthief ... roduct.mp3
Armagibbon
KVRist

464 posts since 20 Apr, 2017

Postby Armagibbon; Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:00 am Re: MOK Waverazor

Hot damn that looks fun to program! Ima grab me a demo.

edit. welp nevermind, I can't even get the thing to register in demo mode. Like do they want to let me to try the thing or not? Jeez.
sikdrumz
KVRer

6 posts since 12 Dec, 2016

Postby sikdrumz; Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:27 am Re: MOK Waverazor

So I got the Demo, and read the Quick Start Guide that is accessible through the plugin.

Main issue for me (among many) is the sound design.

There are 2 banks of modules that affect the sound (the 2x2 grids of 'knobs' on the upper left and mid right). Each knob can be turned up and down, and is named to indicate what it does, so e.g. 'Macro1' or 'Delay', 'Step Size', 'Mutant AM' etc.

The functionality of each of these modules is clearly built into the synth, BUT YOU CAN'T SWAP THE MODULES IN/OUT YOURSELF. Nor can you adjust any parameters e.g. delay feedback or timing- basic stuff.

Each patch has a set configuration of modules that was put there by whoever made the patch, but you can't configure them or take them out and replace with other modules that are there in other patches.

This seems ridiculous to me. If the modules exist, why can't you add them to or remove them from a patch? All the stock patches are effectively 'on rails' with regard to what you can do with them.

Have to say that this launch build feels like a very green banana, and I wouldn't pay money for this synth until a lot more has been added in.
Last edited by sikdrumz on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
sikdrumz
KVRer

Postby sikdrumz; Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:29 am Re: MOK Waverazor

Armagibbon wrote:
edit. welp nevermind, I can't even get the thing to register in demo mode. Like do they want to let me to try the thing or not? Jeez.

You can get the demo installer without registering on Tracktion.

However you can't run the demo without registering on Tracktion! And you can't register through the Synth window, you have to go to the Tracktion site and do it there.

It's just an email/password signup, nothing too invasive and you get a full month of demo...
Armagibbon
KVRist

464 posts since 20 Apr, 2017

Postby Armagibbon; Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:41 am Re: MOK Waverazor

sikdrumz wrote:
Armagibbon wrote:

You can get the demo installer without registering on Tracktion.

However you can't run the demo without registering on Tracktion! And you can't register through the Synth window, you have to go to the Tracktion site and do it there.

It's just an email/password signup, nothing too invasive and you get a full month of demo...

Guess it would help if I let my daw through the firewall huh.
foosnark
KVRAF

Postby foosnark; Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:04 am Re: MOK Waverazor

sikdrumz wrote:The functionality of each of these modules is clearly built into the synth, BUT YOU CAN'T SWAP THE MODULES IN/OUT YOURSELF. Nor can you adjust any parameters e.g. delay feedback or timing- basic stuff.

Each patch has a set configuration of modules that was put there by whoever made the patch, but you can't configure them or take them out and replace with other modules that are there in other patches.

This seems ridiculous to me.

Yeah, it was a really strange choice to leave this stuff out in the early, discounted version. I'm going to guess there was a certain desperation for funding to finish development, but they didn't want to do the Kickstarter thing. Or maybe they're just crazy :hihi:
pekbro
KVRian

1291 posts since 29 Sep, 2010, from Maui

Postby pekbro; Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:37 am Re: MOK Waverazor

Yeah, pretty odd. You would think the BioTek release, and subsequent
vomiting on it by the press, would have left them pretty loathe to release
another plug-in before it was finished. But who knows what their situation
is...

At least it's a good way to get it for half price, and if it helps them out,
I'm fine with it.

-Cheers

*From what I heard from Taiho, it sounds like its probably selling well.
sikdrumz
KVRer

Postby sikdrumz; Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:23 am Re: MOK Waverazor

pekbro wrote:Yeah, pretty odd. You would think the BioTek release, and subsequent
vomiting on it by the press, would have left them pretty loathe to release
another plug-in before it was finished. But who knows what their situation
is...

Wow- I hadn't come across BioTek, but looking at it it seems to be a very similar beast in terms of UI.

https://ask.audio/articles/review-biotek-organic-synthesizer-virtual-instrument

Also similar in that you aren't given the freedom to swap out FX units.

I'm sorry but if their pitch is that they sell you synths on rails because you aren't smart enough to build patches yourself, that is never gonna fly. It's pure nonsense.
foosnark
KVRAF

Postby foosnark; Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:17 pm Re: MOK Waverazor

Second track with Waverazor -- this time integrated with modular. Waverazor is used for a couple of sub drones/pads, and another instance is running through my 0-Coast.

tw: whimsical West Coast fuckery. :drunk:

http://starthief.net/mp3/2017/Starthief-85-Gdnarle.mp3
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments