MOK Waverazor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waverazor

Waverazor is the sonic equivalent of biting down on a wad of aluminum foil. In my opinion of course..... :P
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I just happened to be eating something with a foil top, so I wadded it up and bit it. No big deal. :hihi:

foosnark wrote:Second track with Waverazor -- this time integrated with modular. Waverazor is used for a couple of sub drones/pads, and another instance is running through my 0-Coast.

tw: whimsical West Coast fuckery. :drunk:

http://starthief.net/mp3/2017/Starthief-85-Gdnarle.mp3
Oooooooo - I like this, foosnark! Very cool! I could see this sort of wWCf being a sonic back-drop for some murderous 'Fargo'-style tom-foolery -

A sound-work like this most definitely has a place - it may be far more about shards of glass on your tender feet then a hyper-processed, overly-lush string ensemble carrying you off & into the arms of the local captured castle babe -

Not that I have anything against hot castle babes - but Fargo sh!t is way cooler - nice! :tu: :party:

foosnark wrote:I just happened to be eating something with a foil top, so I wadded it up and bit it. No big deal. :hihi:
You must not have any fillings in your teeth. :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Wow ! I just play with it 10 minutes , I understand everything but someone can explain me how to choose the FX and how to assign macro ?
It is a very good surprise ! I really consider to buy it !!!

hivkorn wrote:...someone can explain me how to choose the FX and how to assign macro ? ...
It'll come with the official launch.
At least this is what i understood.

nordickvr wrote:
hivkorn wrote:...someone can explain me how to choose the FX and how to assign macro ? ...
It'll come with the official launch.
At least this is what i understood.

ha ok.....thx :tu:

This is what I wrote about my initial impressions with WR, 4 days in:

"Well guys, I've been playing with this synth for the last few days and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface...and this is before the parameter editor version comes out!

Unlike pancakes (all good at first, but by the end you're sick of 'em), Waverazor has some definite staying power. With plugins continually clamoring for whatever CPU is available, suffice it to say, WR is going to be at the top of my list for a very long time to come!

The folks at MOK have done a stellar job of not only releasing an extremely intuitive GUI (which the theme of is changeable between a half dozen variations), the engine powering this synth is brimming with potential to cut through just about any mix that I can think of. This is not one of the hundred variations of a Wavestation...this synth stands on it's on merit and the tone is monstrous and can back it up.
The circular X/Y modulation wheels are awesome, but I think my favorite part of this synth is the waveform editing and it's interplay with the oscilloscope...it's very easy to spend a lot of time, down the rabbit hole, editing waveforms.

If you're a tweaker, you'll love this synth as there already are a nice subset of parameters to edit. Once the parameter editor version is released, you may never leave your DAW...yes, it's that good!
If you're not a tweaker, the interface is intuitive and easy enough to navigate that you'll still have a blast and I'd imagine it won't be long before users start creating sharing a ton of patches for this thing.

All in all, highly recommend to add to your tone arsenal. Whether you're a hobbyist or a professional, this synth will serve you well for many years to come!"

--
A week in and I still very much have the same sentiment. I've created several very useful patches and even though this is not the deep parameter editor version, there is enough to keep one occupied for a decent while. One thing that still floors me about this synth is the interplay with the oscilloscope. It's extremely intuitive to use and it just does it for me! (For those of you that think this sounds harsh, have you ever checked out Raw by Rob Papen (and I love RP plugins)? LOL)

The sound...well, it can certainly do a lot more than drones or harsh noises. I've found it to be very warm and thick sounding with some very nice attainable timbres.

That's my two cents. Grab the demo and check it out!
Duality without regard to physicality

This is a unique synth, it has something that I want from Waldorf Nave and FAW Circle. It compliment both synths nicely, almost like an extension in some areas with it's own unique sound to me. The interface fit well with the concept and sound character of the synth, not the easiest one but providing something fresh at the same time. Just like Biotek, it's going to be most functional when the advanced editor is available. But I like the concept of providing the simpler interface for a faster daily workflow. I'm always a fan of Taiho's unique creation since Venom.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

crystalmsc wrote:This is a unique synth, it has something that I want from Waldorf Nave and FAW Circle. It compliment both synths nicely, almost like an extension in some areas with it's own unique sound to me. The interface fit well with the concept and sound character of the synth, not the easiest one but providing something fresh at the same time. Just like Biotek, it's going to be most functional when the advanced editor is available. But I like the concept of providing the simpler interface for a faster daily workflow. I'm always a fan of Taiho's unique creation since Venom.
100% agreed! Taiho & Co. have got some goodies up their sleeves with this thing. It's fun as it is, but I think within the next six months, it's going to be really in-depth and stellar. I don't find at as a replacement to anything, but a compliment to just about everything.
Duality without regard to physicality

I've been watching a few tutorial videos on this to see if this is worth a purchase - I have XFer Serum and uHe Zebra already and it seems like I could achieve similar results by having a creating a few wavetables that are randomly selected by a lfo ... but I'm wondering if I'm missing something that's not possible via that method ?

The tutorial videos are...something else.

Within the first few seconds: "Click on the MOK logo at the top left. This shows the About box".

Wat?

This could be an interesting synth but until they start opening up the modulators and other stuff that's been hidden away it feels as though it's going to be stuck making sounds from 1970s Dr Who soundtracks (cue clangy noise as actor in rubber suit attempts to climb stairs in menacing fashion despite slipping on the third step).

mcbpete wrote:I've been watching a few tutorial videos on this to see if this is worth a purchase - I have XFer Serum and uHe Zebra already and it seems like I could achieve similar results by having a creating a few wavetables that are randomly selected by a lfo ... but I'm wondering if I'm missing something that's not possible via that method ?
Well, yes, in that you can't take a Serum wavetable frame and divide it into 4 equal parts, where each of those parts is fully independent of each other. You can emulate this to some degree, or reduce it to 2 equal parts by having Osc A have a waveform where the second half is silent, and Osc B's first half is silent.

It's a completely different style of synthesis where the repeating waveform isn't really. It *could* be, but it could also be 4 different waveforms showing themselves somewhat regularly 1/4 of the time. It's great for highly-modulated timbres.

We are literally seeing a new form of synthesis developed in front of our eyes. Imagine what it was like hearing about FM synthesis for the first time, or wavetable, or physical modeling. Now you don't have to.

Has anyone managed to get short percussive leads of out this? Due to the lack of ADSR control I can do pads and leads OK, but any short sounds I've no idea (unless I use like an external gating effect) - any tips?

mcbpete wrote:Has anyone managed to get short percussive leads of out this? Due to the lack of ADSR control I can do pads and leads OK, but any short sounds I've no idea (unless I use like an external gating effect) - any tips?
There are a bunch of drum templates in there that might be manipulated into a percussive leads, but I haven't tried to do that. A lot still seems to be Under Construction.

Return to “Instruments”