MOK Waverazor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waverazor

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There is something I don't yet understand after these two videos : it is really a synth ?

Or isn't it rather a crash test tool for sound devices ?

And he said it will be available for $75 ?

At this price it's a bargain!

Oh ! I think I understand now after a new watch of these two videos! It is a random waveform generator for the creation of VST emulation of vacuum cleaners!

Hmmm... no?

Cooool, anyway! Providentially it will arrive on the market around the moment of my wife's birthday! A very original gift to offer to her! She will be very happy to change the sound of her vacuum cleaner!

And it is really awesome that with only one knob you can change the sound of your vacuum cleaner to the sound of a microwave oven!

One thing is sure, anyway : I wouldn't have ever named that thing "Waverazor"... but rather "Waveshaver"!
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

I don't have a problem with noise synths. In fact, there are a few Reaktor ensembles that I use for just this purpose. But the problem with this synth, at least from the demo, is that there doesn't appear to be a great diversity in the noises that it can make. Everything sounds the same. The timber range seems very limited. That's the problem. Not that it makes noise.

Maybe somebody who will actually put some effort into making a demo will show us what this thing is capable of doing, unless of course what we've just heard is all that it's capable of doing. In that case, a little underwhelming, though I like the concept and the basic engine actually sounds pretty good. It just sounds the same over and over and over again.

some pretty short-sighted observations here so far, probably from a bunch of weenie Jarre fans. :hihi:

i'd agree that the interface is a little off-putting (reminds me a bit of the Aly James Lab Genesis/MD synth), but the sound generation end of it looks really interesting.

Patent pending oscillator design?

I could be way off, but just from reading the description, I thought "Oh, that sounds sort of like the Plan B Wave Splicer module".

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/plan-b-model-39

I have one, and while it was a cool idea in theory, in practice it just makes whatever you feed into it sound like an oscillator sync sound. And sure enough, every sound in that demo video sounds like some variation of sync.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I'm all in favor of pushing the edge of synthesis forward but it seems like this synth has pushed synthesis over the edge into a fiery crash..... :?

I suppose Skrillex will love it........ :shrug:

I'm not a fan of Star Trek video game GUIs but I suppose the sound matches the interface in this case.....

Oh well good luck to the developers, hope it's a hit...... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

wagtunes wrote:I don't have a problem with noise synths. In fact, there are a few Reaktor ensembles that I use for just this purpose. But the problem with this synth, at least from the demo, is that there doesn't appear to be a great diversity in the noises that it can make. Everything sounds the same. The timber range seems very limited. That's the problem. Not that it makes noise.

Maybe somebody who will actually put some effort into making a demo will show us what this thing is capable of doing, unless of course what we've just heard is all that it's capable of doing. In that case, a little underwhelming, though I like the concept and the basic engine actually sounds pretty good. It just sounds the same over and over and over again.
He says on the sonicstate vid they don't have full editing yet, seems that's just the oscillator(s) editing.

I suppose after they add Filter and VCA ADSRs, and modulation options, it will have a much better range of sounds.

But I'm not plunking $75 into a synth without knowing at least how good the filters are.

But they should tell or write, for example, "Oscillator's Test", so we know what the video is trying to tell us!

Edit:

I have just seen the second video. Well, I don't know what to say about it! Maybe the end result (after the filter and effects) would be interesting! Let's see first and test the demo. Sometimes the first impressions cannot tell us. Sometimes!

wagtunes wrote:I don't have a problem with noise synths. In fact, there are a few Reaktor ensembles that I use for just this purpose. But the problem with this synth, at least from the demo, is that there doesn't appear to be a great diversity in the noises that it can make. Everything sounds the same. The timber range seems very limited. That's the problem. Not that it makes noise.
I looked at this last night, reading the blurb on the news column and thought this sounds interesting...

"Media Overkill has announced Waverazor, a futuristic synth that slices waveforms into aggressive new sounds. The patent-pending oscillator design utilizes an entirely new form of synthesis to produce biting leads, glitched-out basses, cinematic pads and everything in between."

...then watched the videos and thought that it sounded like flatulence of medical concern through a bitcrusher regardless of parameters tweaked. I think there was a brief, momentary point in the demo video where the sound appeared to be slightly low-passed and actually sounded...vaguely pleasant and potentially capable of a more diverse palette of sounds, before returning to endless digi-squawk a second later.

I actually quite like it. However, I like to use Reaktor for these kinds of experiments, so I don't really have a need for something like this.

you guys have no clue, do you?

shonky wrote: thought that it sounded like flatulence of medical concern.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You win the Internet for today.......... :hihi:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

jbuonacc wrote:you guys have no clue, do you?
Perhaps you could share your clue with us........ :tu:

But seriously all we have to go on here is a couple of poorly done videos showing a synth with an eye searing GUI that sounds like crap (unless you like noise).

Perhaps when they actually finish the synth everybody's opinion will change...... :shrug:

Teksonik wrote:But seriously all we have to go on here is a couple of poorly done videos showing a synth with an eye searing GUI that sounds like crap (unless you like noise).

Perhaps when they actually finish the synth everybody's opinion will change...... :shrug:
Yeah, it looks like it could do far more than the demos show which either makes me think that they should get better demonstrators or maybe, that's all it's capable of creating.

Mind you, if you looked at youtube videos on Serum, I'd guess that most people would think that's pretty much the only type of sound it makes as well.

Return to “Instruments”