Sonic Academy new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ANA ANA 2 The Earth & Moon Expansion

Phil Sonic Academy wrote:I’d say for most people 2.0.8 should be the most stable.. most of the work we did was fixing stability and cpu issues...

It’s still beta until we get feedback that it’s cool for all users. But I’d recommend giving it a try especially if you have any slow down or cpu spikes with previous builds.
My 2.0.3 build is perfect, which is why I don't want to mess with it.

Must say something! Just got preset bank 1 for ana 2.

And i noticed that i could see all banks at once, or just selected bank. AMAZING.
I´ve used vps avanger, sylenth1, spire, serum, hive and so on and ive allways wished to be able to see all preset banks at once and have an option to just see the bank. Ana 2 is capable to do this and that is just awesome!

happy tears

I am not sure if someone else asked about this already, but I'd like to have the sampler oscs open larger (much like the G-Env) for easier editing of the loop settings and crossfade.

looks like no one has mentioned anything in quite a while. It's a great synth, I hope it continues to improve. So far so good.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote:looks like no one has mentioned anything in quite a while. It's a great synth, I hope it continues to improve. So far so good.
Actually I just did, right before you. :hihi:

I agree that it is great, and am looking forward to any updates they release for it.

Just picked this up today, very impressed with the stock presets, starting to cut my teeth with the rest of the device.

Hi all!

In a previous post, somebody mentioned something about a "Virus Template preset" - what is this, and where can I find it? Thanks :)

Few more questions... :)

1. When using Reveal Sound SPIRE, the detune 'spread' of the Virus Hypersaw can be emulated by setting the 'Density' parameter to 12-o'clock center. Which position should the 'Shape' parameter in ANA2 be set to achieve the same thing?

2. Which OSC waveform's in ANA2 best replicate the JP8000/8080 saw wave?

3. Which OSC waveform's in ANA2 best replicate the Virus Ti saw wave?

dav0001 wrote:Hi all!

In a previous post, somebody mentioned something about a "Virus Template preset" - what is this, and where can I find it? Thanks :)
Here...
template.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

In the demo (v2.0.3 R2 Win VST), FM is broken if carrier has a 3D wavetable selected.
EDIT: affects all waveforms, not just 3D!
Steps to reproduce:
Osc 1: select some smooth wave without discontinuities, e.g. triangle; increase FM depth
Osc 2: sine wave
Despite both modulator and carrier having a smooth waveform without discontinuities, the resulting FMed waveform of Osc 1 shows discontinuities (watch with an oscilloscope).

Does not happen if Osc 1 has a 2D waveform (e.g. sine) selected.
EDIT: does also happen with e.g. triangle. The only case where it seems to give the expected result is with sine wave.

Is this a known issue?
ana2_fm_bug.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by karrikuh on Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Another bug (also demo, v2.0.3 R2 Win VST):
When the host starts playback, the VST should clear all internal buffers, voices,... Otherwise long tails from reverb, delay, voice release from a previous playback leak into the freshly started playback. This is especially annoying when rendering a track which would then contain the old release tails.

Bug: EMS VCS3 filter blows up at low cutoff frequencies. Hint: I'm using 96kHz samplerate. At 48kHz it behaves a bit better but still there is some strange low frequency rumble with low cutoff settings.

re: the 2.0.3 bugs above - i'll be putting a 2.0.8 release out without the beta flag as it appears to be very stable.

should resolve a lot of issues left over in 2.0.3

karrikuh wrote:Bug: EMS VCS3 filter blows up at low cutoff frequencies. Hint: I'm using 96kHz samplerate. At 48kHz it behaves a bit better but still there is some strange low frequency rumble with low cutoff settings.

i believe this may have been resolved in the latest patch - 2.0.81

Demoing this synth and it's pretty great! Lovey sound and all kinds of useful features. The presets are excellent as well, I especially love the underworld rez patch, but I always want it to go to the second part of that sequence and it never does! ;)

Anyways a few criticisms I have:
-Much of the text is just too small for this big of an interface, and lots of hit has room to be bigger, especially the mod matrix. I'd resize some stuff to get the text bigger in many areas.
-Some areas of this large interface are very tiny mouse areas that don't need to be so small, like the waveform selector. Why not let the mouse click anywhere where it says Waveform or where it actually says Square or Saw for example. Right now you have to click this tiny little text area. Same with the patch arrows left and right. Why not have a bigger click area with that unused space to each side? I just find having to click tiny little mouse area in a huge interface really annoying personally. I think a lot of improvements can be made here.
-I think the sampler control are pretty whacky. The loop start actaully changes position when you change the sample start or end. The actual parameter itself is changing in the DAW, which is never the case in a synth, it can create all kinds of conflict. This should be rethought. I'd look at things like Ableton's Simpler or TAL Sampler for this kind of thing. But there are several ways to have this work better. For example you could have a loop start and a length parameter, which is relative to the loop start. This would also give another needed improvement which is that with one control yu can change the whole loop position (rather than having to move stat and end separately). However is usefulness in being able to adjust loop start and end separately but it would be good to at least have a link mode or something that ties the end to the start as a relative offset. Perhaps also for loop start being relative to sample start as you may want those related or indpendent. But you should NOT have a control changing all over the place based on other controls.

I'm actually hoping you do some kind of stretch/granular type thing with a position knob as well for scrubbing through. Again TAL Sampler is a good example to check out for simplicity of positioning in a sample without crazy granular capabilities.

And of course... MPE support please! This synth would make great use of it.
Thanks!

Return to “Instruments”