Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New

Sonic Academy new synth!

User avatar
fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
 
9917 posts since 5 Jun, 2012, from Portugal

Postby fluffy_little_something; Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:39 am Re: Sonic Academy new synth!

karrikuh wrote:
Phil Sonic Academy wrote:Ana 1 is a pure exponential like Ana 1.. Ana 2 is more like a string pluck curve.. faster at the start then slows.

Analog versions are similar shapes but with analog chacteristics.. I.e. not as fast attack / release etc

Does any of the modes behave like in analog synths in the way that when a voice is re-used after a new note on event (e.g. in monophonic mode), the attack phase starts from the current "control voltage" instead if from zero? Unfortunately many synths get this wrong.


Not sure there is a wrong or right. Sometimes the complete reset is very welcome, sometimes not so much. It depends on the patch...
User avatar
karrikuh
KVRist
 
267 posts since 6 Apr, 2008

Postby karrikuh; Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:50 am Re: Sonic Academy new synth!

fluffy_little_something wrote:
karrikuh wrote:
Phil Sonic Academy wrote:Ana 1 is a pure exponential like Ana 1.. Ana 2 is more like a string pluck curve.. faster at the start then slows.

Analog versions are similar shapes but with analog chacteristics.. I.e. not as fast attack / release etc

Does any of the modes behave like in analog synths in the way that when a voice is re-used after a new note on event (e.g. in monophonic mode), the attack phase starts from the current "control voltage" instead if from zero? Unfortunately many synths get this wrong.


Not sure there is a wrong or right. Sometimes the complete reset is very welcome, sometimes not so much.

You are probably right, although I never found myself in a situation where I liked the sound of a hard reset.
User avatar
fmr
KVRAF
 
6346 posts since 16 Mar, 2003, from Porto - Portugal

Postby fmr; Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:50 am Re: Sonic Academy new synth!

fluffy_little_something wrote:
karrikuh wrote: Does any of the modes behave like in analog synths in the way that when a voice is re-used after a new note on event (e.g. in monophonic mode), the attack phase starts from the current "control voltage" instead if from zero? Unfortunately many synths get this wrong.


Not sure there is a wrong or right. Sometimes the complete reset is very welcome, sometimes not so much.

There isn't a right way for this. Some analogs retriggered the envelopes, some didn't, and some even offered both possibilities. Matriz-12 is an example of an analog synth that offered several options for envelope triggering (complete reset, simple trigger and multi trigger).
Fernando (FMR)
Phil Sonic Academy
KVRist
 
397 posts since 9 Aug, 2006

Postby Phil Sonic Academy; Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:14 am Re: Sonic Academy new synth!

I believe only mono mode does this... there is also a poly legato option in the settings.. I’ll have to check if it does it with this switched on too.
onerob
KVRist
 
58 posts since 28 Oct, 2014

Postby onerob; Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:53 pm Re: Sonic Academy new synth!

I've been testing the beta and one little curiosity, which I don't want to raise as a bug, is that when switching presets whilst playing notes, the amp ADSR is not reset, which can cause a newly loaded preset to begin playing its release phase if both it and the previous preset have long release times.

Hardly a show stopper.
Phil Sonic Academy
KVRist
 
397 posts since 9 Aug, 2006

Postby Phil Sonic Academy; Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:13 pm Re: Sonic Academy new synth!

onerob wrote:I've been testing the beta and one little curiosity, which I don't want to raise as a bug, is that when switching presets whilst playing notes, the amp ADSR is not reset, which can cause a newly loaded preset to begin playing its release phase if both it and the previous preset have long release times.

Hardly a show stopper.


Yeah this is something we are aware of... should be sorted before release.
onerob
KVRist
 
58 posts since 28 Oct, 2014

Postby onerob; Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:25 pm Re: Sonic Academy new synth!

I tried using an LFO to modulate the frequency of an eq point. This produces large gain spikes which makes it impractical in real world usage.

Many of the arp presets have retrig switched off and don't respond immediately to a note-on message. It might be better if they responded immediately, at least to the first note-on. Having said that, they are triggered when played by the DAW, which is obviously the main thing.
User avatar
VELLTONE MUSIC
KVRist
 
88 posts since 18 Sep, 2017, from Bulgaria

Postby VELLTONE MUSIC; Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:38 am Re: Sonic Academy new synth!

What about the soundsets - if buy it and make one can it be sell trough your site or it will be wild west like with the most synths ... :)
Phil Sonic Academy
KVRist
 
397 posts since 9 Aug, 2006

Postby Phil Sonic Academy; Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:43 am Re: Sonic Academy new synth!

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote:What about the soundsets - if buy it and make one can it be sell trough your site or it will be wild west like with the most synths ... :)


we haven't added anything to restrict presets so yeah a bit wild westy... but we do open our store up to various sound design labels depending on the content. We also on occasion do buyouts on packs.. just depends really... we are pretty flexible. Most important thing is getting quality stuff to our users what ever way we do it.
User avatar
VELLTONE MUSIC
KVRist
 
88 posts since 18 Sep, 2017, from Bulgaria

Postby VELLTONE MUSIC; Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:51 am Re: Sonic Academy new synth!

Phil Sonic Academy wrote:
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote:What about the soundsets - if buy it and make one can it be sell trough your site or it will be wild west like with the most synths ... :)


we haven't added anything to restrict presets so yeah a bit wild westy... but we do open our store up to various sound design labels depending on the content. We also on occasion do buyouts on packs.. just depends really... we are pretty flexible. Most important thing is getting quality stuff to our users what ever way we do it.

That's fantastish i probably will buy it and try to sell you something out ...hahahha :):):)i'm kidding...no seriously :):):Looks like very promising synth,but want to download the official demo,then will decide.)Cheerz :)
User avatar
strovoknights
KVRist
 
171 posts since 22 Aug, 2014

Postby strovoknights; Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:21 pm Re: Sonic Academy new synth!

New Beta?
Phil Sonic Academy
KVRist
 
397 posts since 9 Aug, 2006

Postby Phil Sonic Academy; Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:15 pm Re: Sonic Academy new synth!

strovoknights wrote:New Beta?


Working on the modulation vs cpu thing at the mo... hopefully a new build this week.
User avatar
Synthman2000
KVRist
 
366 posts since 27 Apr, 2016

Postby Synthman2000; Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:21 am Re: Sonic Academy new synth!

As a friendly well meaned request...whilst reducing CPU taxation, which is what I presume you mean by the above..can you make sure the LFO rate is smooth (at fast rates through 25Hz-60Hz) and regular at least as good as NI Massive is when modulating a self resonant filter for fast bubbly effects. This is one of the first tests I do on a synth to see how competent the upper rates of the LFO's are. So many soft synths fall apart and create a nasty garbled irregular effect that makes them unusable for such synthesis. Few soft synths manage this well.
cb8rwh
KVRist
 
267 posts since 25 Apr, 2005

Postby cb8rwh; Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:09 am Re: Sonic Academy new synth!

I see that the ANA 2 beta has been extended to the 16th, but when I try and use it in Bitwig it still says that the beta copy has expired. I tried downloading again, but no luck.

Are we able to use a new beta Phil?

Cheers
Phil Sonic Academy
KVRist
 
397 posts since 9 Aug, 2006

Postby Phil Sonic Academy; Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:10 am Re: Sonic Academy new synth!

We are just waiting for the new builds... hopefully have them up today.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments