chaos oscillator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's the last post of my chaos thread, hop over and listen to the demos starting from the last page and going backwards, my chaos generator makes all kinds of harsh glitchy sounds, something might remind you of low battery sound: viewtopic.php?p=6704594#p6704594

also check out: http://www.airwindows.com/powersag/

the connection between chaos and fractals elicited in the sierpinski triangle doesn't imply that all "chaos" (attractors and feedback and nonlinearity) is fractal,

but it's something that now i'm aware of, i am observing in waveforms. eg. an orbital path might "harmonic lock" :) with one loop, increase a param, next locking mode is an orbit with two loops, next has three or four, et c.

i guess for fractals, the expectation would be for those loops to form subloops at some point. maybe. will keep watching.

i will bet you've also seen that a lot, though it's like, the same dynamic happening at lower frequencies than something obvious and observable like "loops" may make it harder to observe as the results look like arbitrary tangles. but the increasing features in modalities definately fit fractal criteria. hard to verify without exhaustive research.

here's the lfo graphic for now, doesn't explain some, plus i need to add more waveforms like stepped ramp and triangle.

you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

i thought i'd have a go at making some weird noises (patches) for listening without drums.

http://xoxos.net/temp/sequence.mp3

http://xoxos.net/temp/now.mp3

i kind of actually tried to avoid the speaking, because that seems to happen automatically. i'm just looking for stuff that makes the air move. if you need a pointer, about fifteen seconds into sequence (that timbre is retriggered later). that ought to open your ears up.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

couple more days of recording and there ought to be enough patches for release, scope's finished, lfo itw, say by next weekend.

as said normally my lfos have a toggle option between poly (per voice) and mono (global) performance. something other developers may omit :) i'm so great eh.

a mono lfo is appreciable when you're playing a bunch of chords and want a sweeping filter. a poly lfo is appreciable for eg. vibrato. a poly synth needs both options so as not to frustrate the user.

since i don't want to add the buttons (changing the param list and destroying backwards compatability) i'm going to make the second lfo mono and leave the first poly.

all the tracks in 'sequence' except one are angle. loving these for making "some kinda noise".

*edit* day later.. read the next chapter of schildt and linked lists, created self replicating autonomous objects.. probably the end of xoxos vst development :hihi:
Last edited by xoxos on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Some awesome noises....who needs a modular synth :)
Amazon: why not use an alternative

too much fun not to share

http://xoxos.net/software/first.zip

a small windows exe. not much really. creates a bunch of brightly coloured circles that all want to be in the same place to stare at when you're bored but pretending to be fascinated with technology to get through your day. run and press 'i' to initialise a colony. 'r' will create a new entity at the mouse, shift key deletes entity under mouse. arrow keys move, pgup/dn/enter zooms.

who will win? clockwise, or anticlockwise? circle renderer needs optimisation :) around 100 (tap r a bunch of times) seems to have good waves.

Liking black and angle so far! Thanks for sharing!

Though I felt a bit limited with its sounds.. but that might be the lack of my abilities to grasp the essence on the first testing!

Abandoned the move to 64 bit because lol f**k that noise.

I've only had a brief play and I'm yet to fully grok the differences between the three synths, but they're remarkable little things. Surprised by some of the stable, 'tunable' rhythmic movement you can get when you introduce just a touch of chaos. Similar to some of the morphing 'buffery' sounds you can do in Float with aggressive angle settings + gate.

definately manuals :D the old dsp thread fills in a lot but the "osc modes" are totally undocumented. eg. "black" may be easier to suss with two oscs, but the modes don't hace descriptive titles. three osc modes produce cyclic beating unless the frequencies are ratios (these synths would be funnerer to use with an elaborate integer ratio function, but pita to do well with this sdk).

i haven't done any patching for tuned voices, and i doubt my mood is going to breach there for some time. reiterating, all the demo audio is flat presets running. usually just one at a time, just "listen to how much crazy shit one voice does".

glad to hear you're both getting something outta them, one of these weeks i'll get them together. really :hihi:

put the synth demos here so you can listen to them forever

https://xoxos.bandcamp.com/album/electric-eyeliner

Thank you for all the novel new toys. Some lovely filthy sounds in there.

1.0s are probably online tomorrow, having a look at the lfo bit in the manual for possible rewrite tonite.

fun fact tho, they may be completely different :hihi: i realised just last night after finishing the pdf that the audio engine needs a rewrite, will audition patches with the rewrite and decide to go with the "classic" or "theoretical integrity" engine. tough to explain, but very amusing snafu.
snafu.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

too knackered to do the database et c. atm,

http://xoxos.net/vst/angleblack.zip

1.0 releases for black and angle

updates from alpha:
xy oscilloscope, for staring at small things on the screen wondering what they are
patch banks
Q capping on black, stops crashes if you assign a bunch of stuff to push it way over
now 16 oscillator modes :D

shortcomings:
being idiosyncratic, i refuse to fix some disappointments, eg. the second preset on black is a nice kick drum, but it needs to be triggered in like -1 or -2 octave.. there may be a duplicate preset or two, or shortcomings like not selecting a stereo output mode.

hilariously, after writing the manual, i realised in my haste, i had misapplied the "scale" function in both engines... to fix this (because scale perpendicular to bias is much more sensible as an intentful synth engine) and conserve patch compatability, the eight oscillator modes 0-7 are now sixteen.. 0-7 and 0-7 "legacy" :D not a whole lot of difference to the sound in most patches but from the start, the "correct" mode is more sensible.

short of above = download synths, mess around with them and make weird sounds. black is doubtlessly the finest "synthesizer" of my practice.

one manual for both vst, a separate document for the lfos (which could use improvement but gives you something to go on for choosing among sixty algorithms).

enjoy! :D

Ace! Many thanks for the updates and the manual.

thank you for these gems, for yr output in general.

cheers,
tl.

Return to “Instruments”