Arturia Collection5 Improved Sound Engines?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Honestly, don't notice any difference nor do I care. I upgraded for 2 reasons.

1) To get GUIs I can finally see.

2) To get Synclavier

That's it.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes wrote:Honestly, don't notice any difference nor do I care. I upgraded for 2 reasons.

2) To get Synclavier

That's it.
+1..exactly the same reasons for me.

egbert101 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Honestly, don't notice any difference nor do I care. I upgraded for 2 reasons.

2) To get Synclavier

That's it.
Well, I upgraded too. I think the upgrade was worthwhile, but part of the reason why I upgraded was that I read "Improved Sound Engines". If that is not the case, then people ought to be made aware if anything misleading is being mentioned in their release notes.
I'm sure they did something. As to how "noticeable" that something is, that may vary from synth to synth and person to person. I'm not the best person to ask when it comes to stuff like this as don't hear half the stuff people here when they're comparing filters, oscillators and so on. In fact, there are really only a handful of synths that, when I hear them, I can tell you exactly what synth it is.

They completely rewrote the Minimoog's filter for V3 but I don't know if they added other sonic improvements

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

I remember buying Arturia's iProphet app and thinking it sounded different (better) than the Prophet VS plugin. Then i upgraded my V collection and thought the plugin now sounded like the app.

I never looked into this or did any side by side comparisons though, so I could be completely imagining things.

According ENV1 on this post some of the things really improved

viewtopic.php?p=6706437#p6706437
ENV1 wrote: I recently checked some the latest V3 demos to see if they had finally fixed any of the 10+ years old bugs and errors that i kept bringing up in threads. (It has become kind of a tradition to do that every once in a while.) And i still cant believe it: They actually DID. After 10+ years finally something was done, they just failed to tell anyone about it. (Well at least i hadnt heard anything about it.)

Most notably:

- minimoogs VCF modulation by VCO3 is finally no longer reversed (fixed for all waveforms)

- The Saw waves of ARP 2600s VCOs are finally ramping upwards instead of downwards

(First time ever since initial release that the ARPs Saws are ramping in the right direction.)

I also tried the Jupiter-8, (more or less just for fun), and noticed a change there too, namely this really annoying attack-click which kept occuring even with increased Attack and Release times appeared to be completely gone. (Which im sure owners of the Jupiter-8 will be glad to hear.)

So while they are not exactly 'verbose' with regard to info on changes, at least there seems to be an effort going on behind the scenes now which aims to fix at least some of the errors that have plagued their plugins for more than a decade due to total neglect in these areas. How far this will ultimately go of course remains to be seen, as does whether or not they will replace this incredibly wasteful new UI system with something that doesnt require tens of thousands of files in thousands of folders. (Which i personally will never go along with because in my opinion this is where the users just have to say no.) But at any rate, at least there is finally some action with regard to the sound side of things. They are definitely working on it, so maybe the future for Arturia instruments will be brighter than many had believed due to their rather weak performance in recent years. Time will tell.

The entire collection is being maintained regularly, and you can expect new updates soon :)
Fernando (FMR)

Copying the parts of changelog where it implies modifications on sound engines:

ARP 2600 3.0.4
* Added phase inversion switch on VCO Saw outputs

CS 80 3.0.5
* Channel aftertouch was improved for legato and chords

Jup 8V 3.0.4
* Switching Osc waveform from Rectangle to Square back to Rectangle now loads the correct waveform
* LFO Rate now matches the displayed value in the tooltip
* PWM is not applied on the triangle wave anymore
* Polyphonic voice allocation now matches the original synthesizer behavior.

Modular V 3.0.4
* Envelope times in tooltips are now accurate
* Fixed a switch that was inverted in the Dual Delay GUI
* Fixed switches that were inverted in the Retrig options
* Envelope follower triggers are now available in the Gate drop-down menus
* Fixed unwanted noise in VCA2 when patching VCA1 output afterwards

Prophet V 3.0.4
* No more distortion when mapping velocity to cutoff of Prophet 5
* Switching from Mono to Poly now properly allocates voices
* Setting modulation amount to zero has no effect on sound
* The square waveform of the Prophet 5 sounds closer to the original instrument

Solina V 2.0.4.1042
* Ensemble Modulation Speed is now closer to the original instrument

So, most of them are bugfixes, but it seems that they're working on it. I rarely used the old versions, so I can't really compare. I mostly tend to use the new synths (SEM-V, Matrix-12) and sometimes I use Mini-V when Monark CPU usage is a concern (playing live with a band, where I want to make the computer run smoother).

I honestly think they improved the oscillators, but I don't own any arturia and I don't like arturia. So there you go.

Not sure if they improved the engines in any or all of them, but at least they changed the oil.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

egbert101 wrote:
ontol wrote:Not sure if they improved the engines in any or all of them, but at least they changed the oil.
It was a full service, change in bodywork, but appears to be the same engine. :hihi:
I think the Engine got a very good Tune-Up in version 5 :wink:

Return to “Instruments”