Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New What is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Frostline
KVRist

97 posts since 12 Aug, 2016

Postby Frostline; Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:46 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (Voting Over)

] Peter:H [ wrote:Congrats to the winners.
But the late entry wins a prize, though - at least I think I remember it that way - different other participants said they are not going to meet the time line if they are going to spend time to polish their tracks and thus submit early...well...hm...that has a smell, and I remember my post that was ignored, quote:
As soon as a "yes" is also coming from participants that wrote sth. like"due to time constraints wasn't able to polish" or like "more abandond than finished" I'm fine. Otherwise I would have a bad gut feeling...
But I would say let's make a deal...one hand washes the other and each side has to put something on the table - We accept late submission but 574X promises not to take any price but leaves it for the next challenge in april if he makes first 5. Deal?

What would be the point of allowing someone to participate with any type of stipulation that they could not place in the top five?
How on earth could that participant control where they ended up in the ranking?
They were allowed to have a late entry submitted by a vote.
The people who judged the contest awarded enough points so the late entry made top five.
We don't yet know if 574X is even wanting to select a prize. It could very well be they just wanted to share an interesting tune and see how it stacked up with the other submissions.
I find this whole discussion quite distasteful.
A person managed to make a track that was considered good enough by their peers to be in the top five. But now what should be a proud happy moment for the participant is tainted with claims of unfairness and people wanting to take that rewarding experience away.
Sad.
Win10 x64, Reaper 5.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700
sfiks
KVRist

167 posts since 23 Nov, 2007, from New York

Postby sfiks; Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:52 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (*New Prize* Dmitry Sches Tantra Plugin)

vitalker wrote:Sorry for the delay. I hope it will be submitted. Here is my entry. Enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/wise-idiot/vitalker-dark-kingdom

DAW - Reaper 5.40
8X F-Cookie '12

Effects: Attack Knob X3, JS VOLA2, Bass Professor, Bass Professor Mark II X2, JS Apple filter12db X2, JS Apple filter72db X3, JS Pseudostereo, Bittersweet v3, JS 50HzKicker, JS Stereo Enhancer, JS Transient controller X2, Loudmax X6, mda Roundpan, OTT, Reacomp X9, ReaEQ X11, ReaVerb, ReaXcomp, JS Stereo imager, JS Volume pan X2, Xhip Limiter.

Brian, this entry was submitted at April 1st, 2017, 12:20 pm.
That means April 1st, 2017, 08:20 am KVR time :hyper:.
Last edited by sfiks on Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bh9090
KVRist

228 posts since 7 Dec, 2006, from Richmond, VA, USA

Postby bh9090; Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:59 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (Voting Over)

Wow, thanks all! That's a little surprising, but a good surprise. Everyone deserves a congrats with this one.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll pass on the prize, and hereby give permission to upload the track.

Again, really appreciate the listens and comments from all. I was so bad at comments this time :oops: :oops: .
bjporter
KVRAF

2466 posts since 18 Dec, 2010, from North America

Postby bjporter; Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:02 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (Voting Over)

Sorry everyone, this last quick vote was more contentious than I realized. It appears as though people are fine with carrying on without change.

It's difficult to find a point of fairness, and also give people a voice in issues. It's easier to be flat out strict, but since the first OSC, I think we've always been a forgiving, kind community, not black and white.

And again, congrats to the winers :clap: :clap: :clap:
vitalker
KVRist

75 posts since 25 Sep, 2013

Postby vitalker; Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:31 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (*New Prize* Dmitry Sches Tantra Plugin)

sfiks wrote:That means April 1st, 2017, 08:20 am KVR time :hyper:.

Ok. I've asked bjporter, is it ok and he answered "yes", so it should be ok. By the way, there were a lot of tracks, which were posted like mine in previous osc's.
] Peter:H [
KVRist

62 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Postby ] Peter:H [; Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:55 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (Voting Over)

Frostline wrote:
] Peter:H [ wrote:Congrats to the winners.
But the late entry wins a prize, though - at least I think I remember it that way - different other participants said they are not going to meet the time line if they are going to spend time to polish their tracks and thus submit early...well...hm...that has a smell, and I remember my post that was ignored, quote:
As soon as a "yes" is also coming from participants that wrote sth. like"due to time constraints wasn't able to polish" or like "more abandond than finished" I'm fine. Otherwise I would have a bad gut feeling...
But I would say let's make a deal...one hand washes the other and each side has to put something on the table - We accept late submission but 574X promises not to take any price but leaves it for the next challenge in april if he makes first 5. Deal?

What would be the point of allowing someone to participate with any type of stipulation that they could not place in the top five?
How on earth could that participant control where they ended up in the ranking?
They were allowed to have a late entry submitted by a vote.
The people who judged the contest awarded enough points so the late entry made top five.
We don't yet know if 574X is even wanting to select a prize. It could very well be they just wanted to share an interesting tune and see how it stacked up with the other submissions.
I find this whole discussion quite distasteful.
A person managed to make a track that was considered good enough by their peers to be in the top five. But now what should be a proud happy moment for the participant is tainted with claims of unfairness and people wanting to take that rewarding experience away.
Sad.

Why so aggitated. I'm new here and I see there is some rulez...or not!? Because we - the community - do not care...or otherway around!? If this is a forgiving community, I like the chance to dicuss this for my own understanding. And please don't say that I haven't addressed this earliy enough. My earlier comment was just ignored ... I try to find my way around here, how this works here, read a lot of about rulez (lulz) and finaly find out that all is just not really a rule but a let's say "ask to be considered". I can work with that, but I want to know it in advance. Could be that you guys crowd together for a long time and find all this normal...for me as a noob here it is not. But please feel free to let other people discuss it without unrespectful comments. Thank you!
EnGee
KVRAF

3636 posts since 7 Oct, 2005, from Auckland

Postby EnGee; Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:09 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (bh9090 wins!)

Congratulations to the winners :tu:
i5 & i7 Windows 10 64bit, Presonus iTwo, PX-5S, Blofeld and Yamaha HS7.
Cubase 9 Artist, S1v3 Pro, FLS Producer, Reaper, and some nice soft synths and effects.
d34dmeat
KVRer

10 posts since 24 Sep, 2016

Postby d34dmeat; Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:34 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (bh9090 wins!)

:tu: Congrats to us all this month (but mostly the winners) it was a great lineup and I was expecting my usual #22 but I seem to have stepped it up a notch (might had something to do with the fact there were only 21 submissions... Naaa...) :D
eraze the borders
KVRist

47 posts since 4 Apr, 2012

Postby eraze the borders; Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:04 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (bh9090 wins!)

Wow! Thank you so much guys! I'm really happy right now. It's my first time in the top 5 (even top 10). So cool! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Congrats to all other winners and all participants.

I think 574x should be able to choose a price since we voted his entry in. I also think it would be a very fair gesture of him to skip or donate the price. But it should be up to him.
Frostline
KVRist

97 posts since 12 Aug, 2016

Postby Frostline; Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:10 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (Voting Over)

] Peter:H [ wrote:I like the chance to dicuss this for my own understanding. And please don't say that I haven't addressed this earliy enough. My earlier comment was just ignored ...

A discussion is a two way communication.
I started my reply with two questions to you, which you have failed to address.
So how can one discuss anything with you if you fail to hold up your end of the conversation?
My questions went directly to trying to clarify how your proposal would work.

As to your earlier suggestion, did anyone agree to your suggested terms for allowing 574X to participate with their late entry? I only saw that a vote was suggested and a vote was held and a vote was passed in favor of allowing 574X to participate.
No stipulations given or restrictions in place.
A competitor just like the other 20.
All judges all allowed to use what ever criteria they wish in awarding points to a track.
So despite all judges having the ability to withhold points for tardiness (if a judge desired to do so) enough points were given that deservingly (in my opinion) 574X placed in the top 5.
Why is there an issue after the fact?

Now should the entry deadline be less flexible in the future? That would probably be a good question to discuss in the general discussion OSC thread since it would effect OSCs beyond this one.
Win10 x64, Reaper 5.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700
TrojakEW
KVRist

71 posts since 20 Mar, 2012

Postby TrojakEW; Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:02 am Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (bh9090 wins!)

Congrats to the winners. It was very interesting round.
Taron
KVRAF

1537 posts since 17 Apr, 2010, from Croatia

Postby Taron; Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:41 am Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (Voting Over)

Frostline wrote:Now should the entry deadline be less flexible in the future? That would probably be a good question to discuss in the general discussion OSC thread since it would effect OSCs beyond this one.

I would suggest to you guys to just relax a little bit and let OSC find its own pace again. BJ is doing a fantastic job with it and by years of precedence, I believe, we can rely on a fair continuation of it as always! :tu:

#98 is going to be a massive one and I have no doubt you all will focus on making music rather than trouble yourself with a unique exception. If it would've been 60+ entries, things might've been different, but at just about 21 we should be happy there was one more song to listen to and what a pearl that was! :phones:

Only one rule I would suggest to weed out the voting trolls: anyone below -100% generosity should be excluded, as this is a clear sign of either a troll or someone who accidentally stumbled across the voting page... :shrug:
574X
KVRist

68 posts since 25 Aug, 2016

Postby 574X; Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:35 am Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (bh9090 wins!)

:o What a huge privilege for me to help honor HG Fortune like this! I was completely fulfilled by just being able to help find a synth of his in his giant collection that we could use.

I’m very happy that I was able to inspire and help out some fellow synthesists. :hug: The greatest gift is just being able to participate here. :love: How well I did in the OSC, and the amount of enjoyable ideas I created feels like a great indication of my growth as a synthesist. I hope you all feel the same way about your inherently rewarding efforts.

That each of those movements of my 3rd place entry were made with basically half a dozen finely tuned instances of one of HG Fortune's simplest synths really speaks volumes for the capabilities of synthesis! :hail:

As for these repeated humiliating voting sessions on my behalf, I wrote a bit about certain private issues that I now realize I simply shouldn’t share. Suffice it to say I’m very grateful that I was so lucky to find the OSC, which is helping me overcome some of these unique and very personal difficulties with completing things.

I was shocked at these results, to be honest. I truly thought I was the dog underneath the underdog. :lol: I thought my track turned out even more experimental, “edgy,” and easily misinterpreted than even my usual submission. - It turns out it was really well enjoyed! I’m so happy.

Tbh I’ve never even come close to winning, to figure out the details of how the prize awarding works. If I won a professional synthesizer in this amazing synthesis competition it would be a priority for me to make a professional patch bank for it and donate it to the prize pool as another gift on top of anything any winner picks. That’s been a dream of mine. Imagine how amazing it would be if everyone did that!
Taron
KVRAF

1537 posts since 17 Apr, 2010, from Croatia

Postby Taron; Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:48 am Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (bh9090 wins!)

You, 574X, have my vote for picking your price normally! But I said something to that end already... :tu:
eraze the borders
KVRist

47 posts since 4 Apr, 2012

Postby eraze the borders; Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:55 am Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (bh9090 wins!)

Taron wrote:You, 574X, have my vote for picking your price normally! But I said something to that end already... :tu:

I'm fine with that too. But it's not for me to decide in the end.

I believe that you'll have to pick a prize first Taron, since bh skipped :ud:
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments