Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
574X
KVRist

114 posts since 25 Aug, 2016

Postby 574X; Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:54 am Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (New Prize: FXB Project by Alvfaria)

phace, that sounds awesome!

I'm sad that people are having bug problems :cry:. HG Fortune often used SynthEdit which IIRC is notorious. :scared:

If patches change when reopening the project file, I usually can just reload the patch (which is what I do for his other synths that have that problem).

We can also just freeze/bounce tracks to audio :tu:, just not to correct short, inconsistent samples.
doctorbob
KVRian

722 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Postby doctorbob; Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:10 am Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (New Prize: FXB Project by Alvfaria)

574X wrote: ... We can also just freeze/bounce tracks to audio :tu:, just not to correct short, inconsistent samples (which we shouldn't be doing, strictly, as we should "live with the synth as is", but ...).
If I get too much "odd behaviour", even as a Reaper user, then I will resort to freeezing tracks as I go along. Not a lot of choice really, but at least I will get a track done.

dB
WYG_E
KVRist

47 posts since 21 Mar, 2016

Postby WYG_E; Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:57 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (New Prize: FXB Project by Alvfaria)

I can handle the settings bug. I can even work through the one that kills undo functionality in Abelton, but the one that crashes it when I try to render is going to be a problem. :(
] Peter:H [
KVRist

101 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Postby ] Peter:H [; Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:56 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (New Prize: FXB Project by Alvfaria)

Sorry, not taking part this month. I switched back to Cubase 8.5 to be able to run 32bit plug-ins, but then I got weird "Cannot load xyz.sem" messages. I try to avoid fiddling with compatibility issues and getting angry over it...May be next month with a 64bit plug-in...
phace
KVRist

114 posts since 21 Mar, 2015

Postby phace; Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:14 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (New Prize: FXB Project by Alvfaria)

updated my mp3 and retouched the sounds, I felt it was too coarse
I'm not that keen on creating dubstep but I DO like listening on it, too lazy to go layering and creating macros for that matter. But I imagine there are a lot of cool sound possibilities with this synth, it reminds me a little of Logics ES1
aumordia wrote:And then I tried to find a basic piano sound. WTF. The closest thing to that is a piano that they lit on fire and then sampled. WHY?! Why would you do such a thing?
psmacmur
KVRist

371 posts since 29 Jul, 2013, from Toronto

Postby psmacmur; Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:28 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (New Prize: FXB Project by Alvfaria)

I had this problem too. It's a royal pain to fix. You have to go into security settings for your VSTPlugins folder and take ownership, that is, make yourself the "Owner" of the folder & all its descendants. Then, give yourself Full Control; again, recursively. Finally, in the folder's properties, uncheck "Read Only". And of course, Microsoft couldn't see fit to put all these settings in one place.

(You could just do the F-Cookie-2012 subfolder under wherever you put F-Cookie-2012.dll, but then you'll have to go through all this next time you install an old SynthEdit plugin too; Crysalis had the same issue)

] Peter:H [ wrote:Sorry, not taking part this month. I switched back to Cubase 8.5 to be able to run 32bit plug-ins, but then I got weird "Cannot load xyz.sem" messages. I try to avoid fiddling with compatibility issues and getting angry over it...May be next month with a 64bit plug-in...
Ethan Duys
KVRer

8 posts since 7 Dec, 2015, from Lawrenceville, GA

Postby Ethan Duys; Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:44 am Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (New Prize: FXB Project by Alvfaria)

EDIT: REDO-ING
Last edited by Ethan Duys on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBellows
KVRist

79 posts since 14 Oct, 2007

Postby TheBellows; Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:55 am Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (New Prize: FXB Project by Alvfaria)

Hmm, percussion sounds shure isn't its strongest point, but it shure can make some interesting sounds. I bet my end result will have a pretty dirty sound, it shure doesn't sound very polished at the moment, but i'm afraid i'll just mess it up even more, so i think i'll just leave it dirty. :)
Eauson
KVRist

232 posts since 8 Jan, 2013, from morf

Postby Eauson; Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:29 am Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (New Prize: FXB Project by Alvfaria)

Here's my attempt for this month.

https://soundcloud.com/eauson/hgcookie-2012-kvr-osc-97

15* HG Fortune Cookie
Camel phat free*4
George Yohng's W1Limiter
!!EQalt*4
Voxengo tube amp*2
Tal reverb2
Riviera reverb
Magneto
Limiter6
Jb redphattpro
Multianalyzer RS met.com
Nuendo channel eq*8
SlickSDR
DCremover
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face
doctorbob
KVRian

Postby doctorbob; Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:06 am Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (New Prize: FXB Project by Alvfaria)

... and here's an intersting little item ... for Analogue lovers ...

http://cdm.link/2017/03/behringer-to-ma ... round-400/

dB
RuediRena
KVRist

474 posts since 23 Mar, 2011, from Schwerte, Germany

Postby RuediRena; Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:20 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (New Prize: FXB Project by Alvfaria)

Here is what RuediRena is working on. Inspiring and different synth.

https://soundcloud.com/ruedirena/ruedirena-raum-1

Have a listen
Ruedi
zerofox97
KVRist

62 posts since 17 Sep, 2013, from UK

Postby zerofox97; Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:14 am Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (New Prize: FXB Project by Alvfaria)

https://soundcloud.com/zerothefox/wip-for-osc97/s-887CR
Just going on at my own pace. for the record, I don't particularly like the envelopes in this thing. also, the problems I'm having with it too, like the sync mode changing to 9. I did remedy that by automating them for every instance so far.
It's very tasty, I swear!
doctorbob
KVRian

Postby doctorbob; Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:28 am Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (New Prize: FXB Project by Alvfaria)

Working slowly on my track. I have frozen off the basics now using 18 instances of VSTi, and then in a separate Tab in Reaper, I re-work (i.e tweak ad nauseum) the various sounds, or create additional layers, save them as a new preset.

I can then switch tabs, "unmute" the original for the re-worked instrument, mute the stem, load the new preset and see how that sounds in the mix (I can also A/B with the last "acceptable" sound). OR ... I can leave the stem(s) in place and add in the new layer - if the combo auditions well, then I can freeze off that one, and add it into the overall track. If a sound has multiple layers, I buss these up so I can have a single fader for that instrument, even though it's a mix of many layers appropriately EQ'd, mixed and panned (and sometimes FX-d individually, rather then FX-ing the combo of layers).

Cheers,

dB
Last edited by doctorbob on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
doctorbob
KVRian

Postby doctorbob; Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:45 am Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (New Prize: FXB Project by Alvfaria)

Well ... this is my 37th OSC track in a row ... Here's the track details ...

DAW: Reaper 5.35

Track Details:
17 * FortuneCookie2012
16 * ReaEQ
1 * JS Bass Manager/Booster
1 * Twin Delay
7 * LFX-1310
3 * Pecheneg Tremolo
2 * Epicverb
5 * TAL Reverb II
1 * TAL Reverb 4
1 * ReaVerbate
1 * Limiter No. 6
1 * TDR Kotenikov
1 * Classic Master Limiter

Master:
TDR SlickEQ
Ferric TDS
Limiter No.6

DR: 9

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... cookie2012
] Peter:H [
KVRist

101 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Postby ] Peter:H [; Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:10 am Re: One Synth Challenge #97: Fortune Cookie 2012 by HG Fortune (New Prize: FXB Project by Alvfaria)

Follow-up on the "Cannot load xyz.sem" - It seems that the secret is to start Cubase 8.5 as Adminstrator.
Still there is this "all Instances went Mode9" thing after reload that is a real pain.
However, I haven't made up my mind whether I'm going to take part this month, but I threw a small loop together. If you like give it a try and if you like drop me a note what you think...this is inspired by gothic/electro style of sound...not yet as aggressive as bands like Hocico or Amduscia and that like...
---
Updated: Link removed, please see submission: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=480281&start=60#p6734488
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments