Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
T71
KVRist

169 posts since 10 Sep, 2008

Postby T71; Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:14 am Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

ImpOSCar2

FM8
DJ Warmonger
KVRAF

2277 posts since 7 Jun, 2012, from Warsaw

Postby DJ Warmonger; Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:19 am Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

Sylenth1, Ableton Operator :tu:

I usually stick to low CPU usage, it's easier to list the ones with exceptionaly high usage :P
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)
BBFG#
KVRAF

5163 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:41 am Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

Seems to me that the comments should include the suggested parameters.
Any such synth list without first stating the CPU is just another KVR masturbation froth.

I mainly use three systems:
1. Double Xeon 2.9 - 8/16 cores 68GB (W7)
- which make the majority of plugins barely register.
2. Single Xeon 3.2 - 4 cores 20GB (W10)
- that plugins rarely hit over 15%.
3. i5 1.6 - 2 cores 4GB (W10)
- which can max out pretty quick.

I run 'everything' on the first system, my favorites of those on the second system and on the third system (my travel tablet) which is most relative to this topic... what I can easily run with no real issue is:

Korg Legacy Collection
Harmor
AAS Sessions bundle

and suprisingly, HALionSonic2
- which has become the one I use most often for ideas these days.
Xenos
KVRAF

2410 posts since 9 Mar, 2004, from Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

Postby Xenos; Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:51 am Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Audjoo Helix: http://www.audjoo.com/h/Helix.htm

Very, very low CPU despite the ability to make some monster sounds out of it.
VST SOUNDBANKS FOR SALE ---> http://xenossoundworks.com
Z3ta AALTO Massive HIVE Zebra DIVA Predator RAZOR Sylenth BLUE Retrologue etc
chk071
KVRAF

12699 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:52 am Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

BBFG# wrote:Seems to me that the comments should include the suggested parameters.
Any such synth list without first stating the CPU is just another KVR masturbation froth.

Well, i would assume the majority of people to use a fairly recent system, and therefor CPU in any case, otherwise this, or even using a DAW with plugins, would be fairly pointless. My system is almost 3 1/2 years old though, so i may already be out of date again. :)
It's not "news" anymore, it's "infotainment".
BBFG#
KVRAF

5163 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:00 am Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

chk071 wrote:
BBFG# wrote:Seems to me that the comments should include the suggested parameters.

Well, i would assume the majority of people to use a fairly recent system, and therefor CPU in any case, otherwise this, or even using a DAW with plugins, would be fairly pointless. My system is almost 3 1/2 years old though, so i may already be out of date again. :)

But it is relative. I often see comments of people using "the latest i7" only to find out down the line it is the lowest of that line (and with a bare minimum of ram). The system I listed as my number 1 is probably 5/6 years old now? But it's strong enough to go another 5 or so given the software it runs.
andrewbrewer
KVRer

26 posts since 5 Dec, 2009

Postby andrewbrewer; Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:04 am Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

xoxos wrote:
andrewbrewer wrote:Rhino 2
(a little bit crashy, internal waveshaper sometimes has nasty glitches, but ... closest i've gotten to sy77-like sound out of computer)

Synclavier V

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1#p6731257
lately i've been thinking of a track two forum members produced c. 1999, hardware synths and lots and lots of wav processing.

I do think about wav processing a lot! All of the stuff I did in the 90's was that way, by default. But every time I try to revert to my old mode, I get stuck pretty fast. There is something special about offline manipulations, over and over. Also, pretty dang tedious. Meanwhile, modern resources enable us to set up more interactive processing "systems" that get me closer to the accept/reject decision making that, really, was the essence of the offline processing method--only offline was much slower.
I get tempted now and again to seriously learn FSCAPE or CDP, but alas I'm too lazy, and there are so many plugins, such as yours! and "unfiltered audio", and, .... the list goes on
chk071
KVRAF

12699 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:46 am Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

BBFG# wrote:But it is relative. I often see comments of people using "the latest i7" only to find out down the line it is the lowest of that line (and with a bare minimum of ram).

You absolutely have a point there. I wondered about recommendations like "get a i7" myself as well, as if all i7's were powerhouses, and always quicker than any i3, or i5. But, again, i don't really expect many people to tinker with DAW's and plugins, and then have an ancient PC, with a slow CPU. And even if you don't have a very fast computer, you'd most likely be able to judge if a plugin is low on ressources, or if it's a CPU eater, unless you only own, and have ever used a handful of plugins.
It's not "news" anymore, it's "infotainment".
Hardock
KVRist

109 posts since 1 Apr, 2013

Postby Hardock; Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:07 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

Sylenth1
wagtunes
KVRAF

7991 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:14 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

The more I think about this question the more I realize...

I don't have any.

Not that I don't have any low CPU synths. I'm sure I do. I just don't make note of them. I do, however, sure make note of the ones that suck the life out of my CPU like Reaktor Blocks. Fortunately, they're the worst. Nothing else comes close. But stuff like Diva, Omnisphere, Softube Modular and even Repro-1 are a little bit taxing on the old CPU.

But favorite synth that's "low" in CPU use? Not a clue. I know Dune 2, which is one of my favorite synths, isn't considered low CPU, though I've never really checked it myself because I know it doesn't give me problems. I don't own Sylenth1, which everybody seems to love for whatever reason, so I can't say that.

Going through my list right now, I guess I'd say Korg MS-20. I guess it's low CPU. It's certainly old as dirt so how high could it be?

Anyway, that's my guess. Maybe somebody can confirm if it's low CPU or not.
xoxos
Mr Entertainment

12048 posts since 29 Apr, 2002, from i might peeramid

Postby xoxos; Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:53 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

andrewbrewer wrote:.... the list goes on

coincidence to see you after mentioning your work :D

i think you + dsp habit = mutual enjoyment.
Last edited by xoxos on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha xoxos.net free vst. neither a follower nor a leader be
tagore "where roads are made i lose my way"
where there is certainty, consideration is absent.
inkwarp
KVRist

386 posts since 16 Jan, 2012, from UK

Postby inkwarp; Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:26 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

yes, reaktor has improved greatly performance wise. there are a few things i have that still hog cpu ( polyplex does not behave well at all for me)... on the whole i am using it often nowadays there are some great ensembles and the 'new' blocks are really smooth and great sounding to boot..
i don't know if is the right thing to do, but if reaktor starts getting sluggish i change the rate from 44 to 22 ...to be honest the sound isn't so bad at all.
i wonder if anyone else has any info on this..
Examigan
KVRAF

3921 posts since 15 Sep, 2005, from East Coast of the USA

Postby Examigan; Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:17 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

Xenos wrote:I'm surprised nobody mentioned Audjoo Helix: http://www.audjoo.com/h/Helix.htm

Very, very low CPU despite the ability to make some monster sounds out of it.

I did. 8)

Examigan wrote:Sylenth1
Dune (original version)
HIVE
Helix is also not bad on the CPU, if I remember correctly.
Examigan
KVRAF

3921 posts since 15 Sep, 2005, from East Coast of the USA

Postby Examigan; Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:38 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

wagtunes wrote: I don't own Sylenth1, which everybody seems to love for whatever reason, so I can't say that.

It is worth checking out, and there is a demo version.
wagtunes
KVRAF

7991 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:40 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

Examigan wrote:
wagtunes wrote: I don't own Sylenth1, which everybody seems to love for whatever reason, so I can't say that.

It is worth checking out, and there is a demo version.

Already demo'd it. Don't like it.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments