Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New What is KVR? Submit News Advertise
chk071
KVRAF

11421 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:48 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

wagtunes wrote:Going through my list right now, I guess I'd say Korg MS-20. I guess it's low CPU. It's certainly old as dirt so how high could it be?

It surely is low on CPU. Frankly never quite got why people are so furious about it. I am not a huge fan of the original synth, but, i surely can hear that the original is quite a lot creamier, and the filter is a completely different beast than the plugin's too, from what i can say, judging from sound demos. I mean, it's cool that Korg re-created it's classic synths as plugins, but, the way i see it, they're pretty bland, mediocre, and unspectacular, compared to the real deal. No offense. It's just that i see them regularly being recommended here. That's cool, but, IMO, you can't really compare them to the latest, or even the before the latest analog emulations anymore.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWI5uxgYeOQ

And, yes, i do know it's the Mini, and that also sounds a bit different, yet, i think you get a good picture where the plugin lacks, in comparison.
twal
KVRist

48 posts since 10 Feb, 2017

Postby twal; Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:53 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

A lot of Sylenth, and happy to see so many Dunes, been wanting that synth. Hopefully Easter it goes on sale, has it before?

I've been thinking Helix, and Ana. I don't know if Ana has been mentioned but I love it anyways. I know these two for the most part have ceased development. Any arguments for getting these two? BTW I love Ana's sound to no end.
chk071
KVRAF

Postby chk071; Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:57 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

twal wrote:A lot of Sylenth, and happy to see so many Dunes, been wanting that synth. Hopefully Easter it goes on sale, has it before?

Yeah, it has been on sale last year, in December: http://www.kvraudio.com/news/synapse-au ... -off-35735
Examigan
KVRAF

3806 posts since 15 Sep, 2005, from East Coast of the USA

Postby Examigan; Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:33 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

wagtunes wrote:
Examigan wrote:
wagtunes wrote: I don't own Sylenth1, which everybody seems to love for whatever reason, so I can't say that.

It is worth checking out, and there is a demo version.

Already demo'd it. Don't like it.

OK, but it seems like you have nearly every other synth plugin except that one.
EnGee
KVRAF

3517 posts since 7 Oct, 2005, from Auckland

Postby EnGee; Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:42 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

inkwarp wrote:yes, reaktor has improved greatly performance wise. there are a few things i have that still hog cpu ( polyplex does not behave well at all for me)...

Everytime I decide to buy Polyplex, I end to cancel the idea after demoing it! The CPU is high! It is about 40% average! (Battery 3 is usually about 5%, while Groove Agent SE is about 15% to 20%). I don't think I will buy Polyplex, although it can do very nice sounds and it's very easy to setup (just 8 keys or pads).
i5 & i7 Windows 10 64bit, Presonus iTwo, PX-5S, Blofeld and Yamaha HS7.
wagtunes
KVRAF

6912 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:43 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

Examigan wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Examigan wrote:
wagtunes wrote: I don't own Sylenth1, which everybody seems to love for whatever reason, so I can't say that.

It is worth checking out, and there is a demo version.

Already demo'd it. Don't like it.

OK, but it seems like you have nearly every other synth plugin except that one.

Oh my goodness. Tons of stuff I don't own.

Off the top of my head.

Symtohm
Diversion
AIR Loom
Rhino
Oxium
Synplant
Enzyme
Lush 101
Roland SH2
Helix
Surge
Tera 3
Nexus
Hybrid 3

And if I gave it more thought, I'm sure at least another 30 - 50 synths that are regularly or semi regularly mentioned around here.
digitalboytn
KVRian

875 posts since 7 Dec, 2008, from Global Cowboy

Postby digitalboytn; Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:55 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

My favourite synth with low CPU drain is DUNE 1....

It's a great little workhorse...

FM8 is another gem that doesn't tax your CPU. :wink:
Sorry - I don't use auto-tune....
twal
KVRist

48 posts since 10 Feb, 2017

Postby twal; Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:17 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

chk071 wrote:
twal wrote:A lot of Sylenth, and happy to see so many Dunes, been wanting that synth. Hopefully Easter it goes on sale, has it before?

Yeah, it has been on sale last year, in December: http://www.kvraudio.com/news/synapse-au ... -off-35735

Hopefully something sooner, but thanks for pointing it out if I have to wait till then. I guess I can always order the Dune 1/2 package for the discount which is fairly cheap that way and pretty close in price to the Holiday Sale.

I also noticed someone mentioned Hydra, but I never hear much about it. I assume because it is overshadowed by Dune 1/2? Is Hydra have any interesting capabilities that Dune doesn't have?
W23
KVRist

88 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Postby W23; Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:33 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

twal wrote:
chk071 wrote:
twal wrote:
Hopefully something sooner, but thanks for pointing it out if I have to wait till then. I guess I can always order the Dune 1/2 package for the discount which is fairly cheap that way and pretty close in price to the Holiday Sale.

I'm pretty sure I just saw a copy of Dune 2 in the For Sale Forum by a KVR member. I picked up my copy around the Holidays last year, and that was after waiting for it to go on sale all summer and fall. Synapse seems to have sales roughly every 6 months or so. The Forum is a good place to check in case you get impatient
egbert101
KVRian

545 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Postby egbert101; Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:01 am Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

chk071 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Going through my list right now, I guess I'd say Korg MS-20. I guess it's low CPU. It's certainly old as dirt so how high could it be?

It surely is low on CPU. Frankly never quite got why people are so furious about it. I am not a huge fan of the original synth, but, i surely can hear that the original is quite a lot creamier, and the filter is a completely different beast than the plugin's too, from what i can say, judging from sound demos. I mean, it's cool that Korg re-created it's classic synths as plugins, but, the way i see it, they're pretty bland, mediocre, and unspectacular, compared to the real deal. No offense. It's just that i see them regularly being recommended here. That's cool, but, IMO, you can't really compare them to the latest, or even the before the latest analog emulations anymore.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWI5uxgYeOQ

And, yes, i do know it's the Mini, and that also sounds a bit different, yet, i think you get a good picture where the plugin lacks, in comparison.

Completely unfair comparison, imo. You would need to add some kind of preamp/saturation/distortion to the plugin first, and also adjust for loudness differences before making good comparisons. Also, on the fly comparisons are going to be subjective. It would need to be adjusted exactly for each, and also take into consideration these are already old software plugins.
pdxindy
KVRAF

11389 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:38 am Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

FM8 is very low on CPU
Vortifex
KVRist

130 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Postby Vortifex; Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:30 am Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

I find Arturia's SEM V2 is pretty easy on the CPU.
layzer
KVRAF

4006 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:12 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

chk071 wrote:[It's just that i see them regularly being recommended here. That's cool, but, IMO, you can't really compare them to the latest, or even the before the latest analog emulations anymore.

dude, you are always on here blowing hot air about what sounds better than what.
all you know is more bits, more ram more later OS version is best.
you are full of crap. many old plugins can sound just as good as the latest
CPU hog plugins if you know how to process them. so STFU.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV-880]
SW [SYNTH1 - CHARLATAN - OBXD - PG8X - OXE - MICROTERA - KLC - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK XPSP3 PC/MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
Nielzie
KVRAF

8208 posts since 28 May, 2005, from Netherlands

Postby Nielzie; Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

mcbpete wrote:Love TAL's stuff particulaly TAL-U-NO-LX ( https://tal-software.com/products/tal-u-no-lx ) and they don't ever seem to push my CPU.

:o It seems to strangle mine though..
chk071
KVRAF

Postby chk071; Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:24 pm Re: What's your favorite low CPU Synths? (not free)

layzer wrote:
chk071 wrote:[It's just that i see them regularly being recommended here. That's cool, but, IMO, you can't really compare them to the latest, or even the before the latest analog emulations anymore.

dude, you are always on here blowing hot air about what sounds better than what.
all you know is more bits, more ram more later OS version is best.
you are full of crap. many old plugins can sound just as good as the latest
CPU hog plugins if you know how to process them. so STFU.

:lol:

That made my evening, thx dude. :tu:
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments