Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New What is KVR? Submit News Advertise
xalama qo
KVRian

1011 posts since 7 Jun, 2007

Postby xalama qo; Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:33 am Re: Sooo looking forward to the u-he MS20!!!...

Nothing wrong with the Korg vst per se. It sounds really good and is very light on CPU. The GUI is unnecessarily small and obscured...I mean, scrolling left and right to see the whole panel? Even if they never touch the synth again they should at least fix that.

BUT u-he would bring all the MS-20's "analogue-ness" to our DAWs, with, as Urs mentioned above, audio-rate modulation and patch points for audio signals. I personally will probably never buy a hardware MS-20 because I can't justify the cost, but I'd love to have a close approximation to one in software as a sound design tool, not only for its aggressive synth sounds but also very much to use as an effect on audio tracks and samples etc. Perhaps Urs would attempt an emulation of it as a development exercise in introducing audio signals to patch points, which would ultimately benefit the entire Berlin Modular line. And of course the filters would be better than the Diva versions as I'm sure a lot of the RePro-1 filter development journey would bring some great enhancements to whatever filters Urs designs or emulates in future.

It's all part of the never-ending quest to get digital synthesis to behave in a more analogue way under more extreme circumstances. Not everyone's cup of tea, and not necessarily musically relevant for 99% of the time, but it's a technical challenge which, as in all advancements in technology, has spinoffs which a wider audience can enjoy.

ZDF filters anyone?
fabrik sound design - Presets for Sawer
Cinebient
KVRAF

2061 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Postby Cinebient; Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:40 am Re: Sooo looking forward to the u-he MS20!!!...

I personally hope they stop making too much emulations and focus on a new approach of physical modelling or creating a whole new form of synthesis no one has explored before....or so :D
But it´s a personal wish and doesn´t matter of course.
Maybe the Berlin Modular would be it if modules of any kind could be added.
Maybe we need the next generation of cpu´s before that happens.
I´m already fine with the iOS version of MS20 so far.
I still wonder why no one can make a "better" version of that old amazing Sculpture.
A Sculpture module inside Zebra 3 to go please.....
Or an A.I. synth which develops itself in light speed :borg:
I would like to know what U-he could do if a bored billionaire would be a synth freak and spend a billion to create a new synth.......dreaming :wink:
Urs
u-he

20546 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:35 am Re: Sooo looking forward to the u-he MS20!!!...

Cinebient wrote:A Sculpture module inside Zebra 3 to go please.....

That is quite close to what I wish for as well.

But also, I'm sharing a lot of knowledge with my dev team so they can continue on emulations even when I'm doing Zebra business.
aMUSEd
KVRAF

27014 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:55 am Re: Sooo looking forward to the u-he MS20!!!...

Urs wrote:

But also, I'm sharing a lot of knowledge with my dev team so they can continue on emulations even when I'm doing Zebra business.

Yay - been wanting more PM features for ever
electro
KVRAF

4148 posts since 5 May, 2002

Postby electro; Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:03 am Re: Sooo looking forward to the u-he MS20!!!...

Cinebient wrote:I personally hope they stop making too much emulations and focus on a new approach of physical modelling or creating a whole new form of synthesis no one has explored before....or so :D
But it´s a personal wish and doesn´t matter of course.

There is few if any synthesis that hasn't already been done. Emulations only take a proven concept and put it in a more convenient and affordable modern package. I always saw the goal of PM as duplicating Acoustic instrument behavior without the shortcomings of samples. When you combine that with a capable 3D controller (Eigenharp, Seaboard, Linnstrument) what more could anyone need?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM
tasty tatsyn
KVRist

138 posts since 19 Jun, 2016

Postby tasty tatsyn; Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:04 am Re: Sooo looking forward to the u-he MS20!!!...

psmacmur wrote:
e@rs wrote:...like cats. :wink:

This is a very good point: I have both the Korg Legacy MS-20 VST and a cat. While the MS-20 is good, I much prefer the cat; she has faster attack, more bite, and a softer tail. Also, she sits better in a mix, er I mean chair. :clown:

Epic :D
bstageboss
KVRist

282 posts since 11 Sep, 2004, from just a little to the left

Postby bstageboss; Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:39 am Re: Sooo looking forward to the u-he MS20!!!...

My cat and my plugins can both be manipulated by a mouse.

Ah, what the heck...
http://www.catsonsynthesizersinspace.com
Cinebient
KVRAF

Postby Cinebient; Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:41 am Re: Sooo looking forward to the u-he MS20!!!...

Urs wrote:

:D
Of course i meant that not too serious but in general i really find Sculpture is one of the most genius (but hard to control) thing since it does really the most awesome timbre morphing and is very light on cpu. It's old but worth the price of Logic alone (for me).
It's also one of the best sound sources for organic sounding things to put into sampler etc.
I mean something near to this (or better) inside a synth like Zebra would be THE NEXT THING for me.
Of course i appreciate all your synths (since i own most of them too).
el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

8230 posts since 24 May, 2009, from A galaxy, far far away

Postby el-bo (formerly ebow); Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:05 am Re: Sooo looking forward to the u-he MS20!!!...

Cinebient wrote:I mean something near to this (or better) inside a synth like Zebra would be THE NEXT THING for me

Of course, you know that Sculpture is so much more than that which could be reduced to mere modules inside another environment. It is also much more than the sum of it's parts.

Given that it's not even well-served by it's own sprawling gui, nothing but a full on, dedicated modelling instrument is likely to prove any real competition.
masterhiggins
KVRAF

1524 posts since 30 Dec, 2004, from Minneapolis, MN

Postby masterhiggins; Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:58 am Re: Sooo looking forward to the u-he MS20!!!...

Personally I'd prefer an emulation of the Jomox Sunsyn
Cinebient
KVRAF

Postby Cinebient; Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:59 am Re: Sooo looking forward to the u-he MS20!!!...

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Cinebient wrote:I mean something near to this (or better) inside a synth like Zebra would be THE NEXT THING for me

Of course, you know that Sculpture is so much more than that which could be reduced to mere modules inside another environment. It is also much more than the sum of it's parts.

Given that it's not even well-served by it's own sprawling gui, nothing but a full on, dedicated modelling instrument is likely to prove any real competition.

Yes i know.
Also running Sculpture trough Zebrify is a way to get them closer together :D
Maybe Sculpture is perfect like it is. The GUI is old but usable. The CPU usage is very low for how it sounds.
The modulation if you dive deeper is better than at the first look (even awesome).
But i´m drifting off topic of course, sorry.
Of course most U-he synths can do things i never could do with Sculpture :hihi:
e@rs
KVRAF

2711 posts since 15 Dec, 2011, from Bucharest, Romania

Postby e@rs; Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:09 am Re: Sooo looking forward to the u-he MS20!!!...

masterhiggins wrote:Personally I'd prefer an emulation of the Jomox Sunsyn

:tu: :tu: :clap:

And for a :), place your mouse on my signature and read... :hihi:
legendCNCD
KVRian

551 posts since 23 Sep, 2004, from there

Postby legendCNCD; Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:42 am Re: Sooo looking forward to the u-he MS20!!!...

xalama qo wrote:Nothing wrong with the Korg vst per se. It sounds really good and is very light on CPU. The GUI is unnecessarily small and obscured...I mean, scrolling left and right to see the whole panel? Even if they never touch the synth again they should at least fix that.

Yeah, thats the main gripe for me, scrolling UI uhh, I put up with it but without would be better. Also audiorate modulations.
egbert101
KVRian

749 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Postby egbert101; Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:31 am Re: Sooo looking forward to the u-he MS20!!!...

No no no! It's either Moog Modular Synthesizer or ARP 2600 or EMS VCS3, before anything else! :hihi: Otherwise it's just not Berlin Modular, sorry!

Okay, so two emulations of the ARP 2600 have been done (Arturia & Way Out Ware), but not circuit modelled versions. And at least three versions of the Moog Modular Synthesizer have been emulated (Including Moog themselves with the Moog Model 15 app on ipad which doesn't count as it's a toy and not a VST!). Pulsar Modular have probably nailed it in terms of coming close to authenticity to a Moog Modular.

There are plenty of EMS VCS3 emulations but none are circuit modelled, and none have really nailed the filter properly. Anyone up for the challenge? :hihi: Maybe Andy from Cytomic, or the lads at D16 Group. You're my only hope left! :party:
Scotty
KVRian

1191 posts since 22 Dec, 2002

Postby Scotty; Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:46 am Re: Sooo looking forward to the u-he MS20!!!...

Regarding the ms20...if he can duplicate the patch cable layout using control messages that would be fantastic. I have one of those Korg USB MS 20 controllers that could use a new engine.
Asusp9712Core,RayDats,OASYSPCI,Cubase9,KorgLeg,Avalon737s+2022,UA4710D,6176,DCS,LA610MK2s,Neve, ARC2, Soundtoys,UADOCTO,AdamA7X, SphereMics, BCF+R2000s, DrmBrut,MiniLog,Volcas,MoogSubPhat,EnsqDP4,VirusC,Scope,MinBrut,Plugiator,NIS61 Ultimate,ComposrsCld.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments