Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New What is KVR? Submit News Advertise
Theoctavist
KVRer

8 posts since 1 Jul, 2016

Postby Theoctavist; Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:12 pm Re: Suggestions for non- edm VST instruments(bizzarre, quirky, cool sounding)..Indie /Minimalist music

oh ...and I use reaper (and playtime..it is great) . I also use analog tape(cassette and otari 1/2 inch)
Michael L
KVRian

1413 posts since 25 Jan, 2014, from the End of the World as we Knowit

Postby Michael L; Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:50 pm Re: Suggestions for non- edm VST instruments(bizzarre, quirky, cool sounding)..Indie /Minimalist music

wagtunes wrote:Another GUI that's too small for me to use. Shame, because it sounds totally amazing -- better than all my other synths!
:D For others who may be interested, the Modelonia GUI takes up a third of my 1920x1200 screen - a decent size. Also, the GUI is systematically organised with a different colour for each function, so as you become familiar with it, you don't need to read most of the labels.

Edit: I forgot to mention- the current version has a SKIN button that lets you toggle among dark, light, and large size GUIs
Last edited by Michael L on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As the artist goes deeper into his own thing, he learns what works and then needs fewer tools."
ghettosynth
KVRAF

7941 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Postby ghettosynth; Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:57 pm Re: Suggestions for non- edm VST instruments(bizzarre, quirky, cool sounding)..Indie /Minimalist music

I like some of xoxos stuff, also, Boscomac ensembles for Reaktor. Dust is a bit quirky, but it's definitely cool.
wagtunes
KVRAF

7217 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Postby wagtunes; Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:34 pm Re: Suggestions for non- edm VST instruments(bizzarre, quirky, cool sounding)..Indie /Minimalist music

Michael L wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Another GUI that's too small for me to use. Shame, because it sounds totally amazing -- better than all my other synths!
:D For others who may be interested, the Modelonia GUI takes up a third of my 1920x1200 screen - a decent size. Also, the GUI is systematically organised with a different colour for each function, so as you become familiar with it, you don't need to read most of the labels.

Edit: I forgot to mention- the current version has a SKIN button that lets you toggle among dark, light, and large size GUIs

Please don't take my quotes and change my words. I never said sounds better than all my other synths. I said it sounds decent.
ghettosynth
KVRAF

Postby ghettosynth; Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:43 pm Re: Suggestions for non- edm VST instruments(bizzarre, quirky, cool sounding)..Indie /Minimalist music

wagtunes wrote:
Michael L wrote:

Please don't take my quotes and change my words. I never said sounds better than all my other synths. I said it sounds decent.

Yeah, I have to defend wags on this, don't do that shit. It's annoying.
Michael L
KVRian

Postby Michael L; Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:52 pm Re: Suggestions for non- edm VST instruments(bizzarre, quirky, cool sounding)..Indie /Minimalist music

ghettosynth wrote:don't do that shit
It's called hyperbole-- humour by extravagant exaggeration :D In the future, I will honour all plugin pronouncements with the solemnity they so deeply deserve :hail:
"As the artist goes deeper into his own thing, he learns what works and then needs fewer tools."
nicksohn
KVRist

448 posts since 6 Dec, 2014

Postby nicksohn; Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:53 pm Re: Suggestions for non- edm VST instruments(bizzarre, quirky, cool sounding)..Indie /Minimalist music

Try GForce synths.
ghettosynth
KVRAF

Postby ghettosynth; Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:00 pm Re: Suggestions for non- edm VST instruments(bizzarre, quirky, cool sounding)..Indie /Minimalist music

Michael L wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:don't do that shit
It's called hyperbole-- humour by extravagant exaggeration :D In the future, I will honour all plugin pronouncements with the solemnity they so deeply deserve :hail:

I know what it is, but when you quote someone else and twist their words, it's annoying and, frankly, uncool. What you should honor is the idea of the quotation and save the funny for words that can be clearly attributed to you.
Michael L
KVRian

Postby Michael L; Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:08 pm Re: Suggestions for non- edm VST instruments(bizzarre, quirky, cool sounding)..Indie /Minimalist music

ghettosynth wrote:it's annoying and, frankly, uncool
:hail:
pdxindy
KVRAF

11530 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:10 pm Re: Suggestions for non- edm VST instruments(bizzarre, quirky, cool sounding)..Indie /Minimalist music

Phonem and Bazille (both truly unique)
ghettosynth
KVRAF

Postby ghettosynth; Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:17 pm Re: Suggestions for non- edm VST instruments(bizzarre, quirky, cool sounding)..Indie /Minimalist music

pdxindy wrote:Phonem and Bazille (both truly unique)

+1
egbert101
KVRian

782 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Postby egbert101; Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:52 am Re: Suggestions for non- edm VST instruments(bizzarre, quirky, cool sounding)..Indie /Minimalist music

Theoctavist wrote:I love Jim O Rourke, wilco, sonic youth, midlake, john grant, grandaddy, elliott smith, loose fur, tim hecker..

Love unique sounding instruments. I do NOT like the "modern sounding" dubstep, edm etc sounds. I have hardware., but I often write in my apartment , using my laptop. Suggestions are much appreciated! Money is not a factor, but free is good too!

To be honest, you're going to have to do a bit of research yourself, on exactly the kind of equipment your favourite artists use, and their various techniques, otherwise you are going to be wasting your money.

If you're into the progressive rock/post rock type genre, then you're really looking towards guitar orientated effects, and tape/delay effects, rather than synth instruments.

Very difficult to recommend you anything, without it being a potential waste of money, but I guess, Reaktor 6 by Native Instruments, is going to provide you with the best potential for uniqueness, quality and diversity of sounds. There are hundreds of free instruments and effects in their library for you to mess around with. And if you're happy to make your own effects/instruments from scratch, well then it is worth the investment.
JoeCat
KVRian

1007 posts since 19 May, 2011, from North Carolina

Postby JoeCat; Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:57 am Re: Suggestions for non- edm VST instruments(bizzarre, quirky, cool sounding)..Indie /Minimalist music

Theoctavist wrote:thank yall so much! amazing., excited to dig through this stuff! exactly what I needed and then some! also, @JoeCat im in NC too, near wilmington!

great forum yall got here!

I'm just outside of Raleigh (Apex). :)
Theoctavist
KVRer

8 posts since 1 Jul, 2016

Postby Theoctavist; Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:57 am Re: Suggestions for non- edm VST instruments(bizzarre, quirky, cool sounding)..Indie /Minimalist music

what a bounty of riches this forum is ! thanks again to everyone!
gremlinmoon
KVRist

143 posts since 9 Dec, 2006

Postby gremlinmoon; Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:33 am Re: Suggestions for non- edm VST instruments(bizzarre, quirky, cool sounding)..Indie /Minimalist music

For the Sonic Youth feedbackey vibe I like Arcsyn -- this has actually come up before.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments